GW2 thread (maxed posts, made new thread)

85 Goblin Rogue
I got an e-mail, was just from grandma D:

*goes back to refreshing spree*

*decides to read email from grandma*

"LOLOLOLOL I GOT CALLED FOR THE BETA, U JELLY/MAD/BORED?"

*refreshing at raging speeds*
1 Blood Elf Warlock
i got my email yesterday :) good luck guys hope you get yours soon
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
:( No evite.

But that's ok, I hope everyone that gets in has some fun. I'll pre-order and I hope that there will be enough beta time for me to decide on ranger/thief or elementalist class.
86 Undead Death Knight
03/19/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Loldotuup
i got my email yesterday :) good luck guys hope you get yours soon

Youre not supposed to tell people that you got in btw.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been !@#$ed by NCSoft too many times to ever give another one of their games a try (and yes, Arenanet is owned by NCSoft).

Every NC game always devolves into a hideous, grindy, RMT-filled mess. I'd be cautiously optimistic about GW2, but I can never see myself giving NC another chance. Been burned FAR too many times already...

NCsoft Developed and Published Aion.

Arenanet Developed and NCsoft Published Guild Wars.
Does anyone else think a lot of these new features upcoming in MoP are very similar to what GW2 has to offer?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/19/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Hermie
Does anyone else think a lot of these new features upcoming in MoP are very similar to what GW2 has to offer?

yeah.
03/19/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Destian
I've been !@#$ed by NCSoft too many times to ever give another one of their games a try (and yes, Arenanet is owned by NCSoft).

This entire section is incorrect.

ArenaNet is its own company, privately owned and operated by 3 Co-CEO's formerly from Blizzard. They created Guild Wars 1, which was then Published by NCSoft, same as Bioware made SW:TOR and than EA published it.

NCSoft has been very hands off for this entire creation process and has little to no say in how the game operates. They're just publishing it, as they did for GW1.
Edited by Indïanabones on 3/19/2012 2:53 PM PDT
63 Tauren Hunter
A new update today on ArenaNet's blog, about the personal story. Very good read if that's your kind of thing:
http://www.arena.net/blog/the-evolution-of-narrative-in-personal-story
90 Orc Death Knight
03/19/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Indïanabones
ArenaNet is its own company, privately owned and operated by 3 Co-CEO's formerly from Blizzard.

Incorrect. That's how they started, but Arenanet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft as of 2008. Fortunately, from all outside appearances, they've maintained a hands-off ownership and let them do their thing. Presumably this will continue as long as their products remain profitable.
100 Worgen Priest
03/20/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Grishkana
ArenaNet is its own company, privately owned and operated by 3 Co-CEO's formerly from Blizzard.

Incorrect. That's how they started, but Arenanet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft as of 2008. Fortunately, from all outside appearances, they've maintained a hands-off ownership and let them do their thing. Presumably this will continue as long as their products remain profitable.

also arenanet is a western developer while NCsoft is a korean publishers, i'm sure NCsoft is smart enough to know that korean MMOs don't do too well in the west and that a western developer will know what western gamers want out of a game.
91 Undead Priest
Microtransactions article:
http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrien-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2

In this month’s closed beta event, we’ll do some early testing of the Guild Wars 2 microtransactions system. Our microtransaction content isn’t nailed down yet, but we have a good framework in place to support it. So, I’d like to take a moment to explain our goals and the system we have developed to meet them.
We believe in microtransactions because they fund ongoing development of the game in a very straightforward and open way. You, the customer, get to decide how much money you spend on the game after launch, based on how compelling it is to you. You get a complete and playable game no matter what, but we think we can provide additional content and services that you’d be happy to pay for. And when you pay for them, you help fund our support of Guild Wars 2 in a way that benefits all players of the game.
Here’s our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But it’s never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.
I know none of this is new; the original Guild Wars also had microtransactions. But microtransactions were an afterthought in Guild Wars, whereas with Guild Wars 2, we had an opportunity to integrate the microtransaction system from the ground up, giving players more options and more convenience without sacrificing our design principles. So, here’s what we’re doing differently this time.
In Guild Wars 2 we have three currencies: gold, karma, and gems. Gold is the common in-game currency. Karma, which players earn in-game but cannot trade, is used for unique rewards. And gems are the currency that’s bought and used to purchase microtransactions.
We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it’s an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems. We think that’s important, because it lets more players participate on a level playing field, whether they use their free time or their disposable income to do it.
MMO veterans will note the similarities of our system to EVE Online’s PLEX system. As in that case, our system takes gold trading out of the hands of real-money trading (RMT) companies and puts it directly in the hands of players.
We think that’s a great thing.

From a player’s perspective, RMT companies have all the wrong motivations: the more money they make from selling gold, the more they spam ads in the game, run bot networks to farm gold, and hack accounts to loot them for gold. Conversely, under our system, players have all the right motivations. If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins.
We also like the tradability of gems and gold because it makes the rest of the game’s economy more compelling. We’ll have a player-to-player Trading Post in the game—it’s like an auction house but better—which we’ll discuss in an upcoming blog post. Because gems can be traded for gold and vice versa, we don’t need two different trading systems, one for gold and one for gems. In Guild Wars 2, everything on the Trading Post is traded for gold, but of course, somebody who wants to earn gems can just sell items for gold, and then convert the gold to gems.
We have always taken our responsibility to players seriously with the original Guild Wars, and we will continue to do so with Guild Wars 2. We believe the foundation I’ve described here is the right foundation for us to build upon, and we look forward to sharing more details with you in the future as we nail down our microtransaction content.
-Mike O’Brien
Edited by Lonniehaskel on 3/20/2012 8:19 PM PDT
85 Goblin Rogue
Been watching lots of necromancers in PvP, think I'l stick to them again like in GW. Although engineers seems rather promising too.
91 Undead Priest
Necro will be my alt. They look very fun to play. But good ole Charr engineer is totally gonna deliver. :)
90 Orc Hunter
03/19/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Hermie

Where do you think Blizz got the ideas :)
100 Worgen Priest
totalbiscuit with a explore mode dungeon, frank gets ripped on XD, beware, MAJOR WOW FANBOYISM in the comment section!!! the amount of fanboyism is just crazy that i about fell out of my chair laughing, oh i love fans for their stupidity and are willing to just eat whatever garbage a company throws at them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IM2rAK0Q-8&feature=g-all-u&context=G2acfef6FAAAAAAAAEAA
Edited by Sisterlassie on 3/22/2012 12:58 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
Were you trying to be sarcastic? There was some GW fanboyism there not any wow fanboy talk.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]