Question about Annual Pass

35 Orc Rogue
Just a question, really.

The Annual Pass was presented as "get the annual pass, and agree to keep your WOW account current and active (paid for) for one year from the date of activation of the annual pass and you get <insert bunch of stuff here including DIABLO 3 upon release>.

Now the question... Let's just say for the sake of argument that DIABLO 3 continues to have delays. Let's say those delays push the release well into 2013.

Will blizzard actually honor their original intention and still give DIABLO 3 to players even though for many early annual pass adopters will have finished their year long commitment in late 2012?

I believe, like many, that the real intention behind the annual pass was to keep people subscribed to WOW though a new game would be eating up WOW playing time. In many cases, I would imagine that people, faced with a decision on whether to pay $60 for a new game and keeping their wow subscriptions active, would have cancelled their wow subs and purchased the game. Made sense to offer a deal where if you keep your sub active for a year, you get the diablo game free, especially if the DIABLO 3 release happened in Q1 of 2012 as was originally believed. That meant people would have kept their WOW accounts active and paid even though most people wouldn't be playing wow much for most of 2012.

But I'm thinking, based on how seemingly far from release the beta is (skill runes probably won't make the game in their current state), I'm seriously married to the idea that DIABLO 3 won't be released until late Q4 of 2012 (Like December 15th) at the earliest or Q1 of 2013 (probably late january, early february) at the latest.

Will Blizzard decide that in order to get Diablo 3, you'll have to extend your annual pass through 2013 or will they honor their original plan even though 90% of the people who have their annual passes lapse in october of 2012 will cancel their WOW subs?

EDIT TO ADD: Based on what I have seen of Diablo 3, I would imagine MoP will be released before Diablo 3 :)
Edited by Muguguypan on 2/20/2012 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
There's a lot of speculation in your post! =]

Regardless, if we hold up our ends of the agreement, Blizzard will hold up theirs.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Rogue
There's a lot of speculation in your post! =]

Regardless, if we hold up our ends of the agreement, Blizzard will hold up theirs.

It's not speculation... I posited one of MANY possible future outcomes and stated it was for "arguments sake" in order to find out what a massive delay would mean for annual pass holders.

Will they release Diablo in Q2? Possible. IN Q3? Possible. In Q4? Possible. In Q1 of 2013? Possible.

My post is about the latter possibility. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility based on the state of the current beta.
Edited by Muguguypan on 2/20/2012 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blizzard would lose a lot of business if they decided to string their customers along like that. Our accounts are flagged for D3 already, now it is just waiting for D3 to release.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Rogue
02/20/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Mewnie
Blizzard would lose a lot of business if they decided to string their customers along like that. Our accounts are flagged for D3 already, now it is just waiting for D3 to release.

Well they really wouldn't lose money... They already got a year of subscriptions, which is MUCH more than they would have received had they not offered the Annual Pass and Diablo 3 had come out in Q1 2012 as many believed. Without the Annual Pass, I would imagine a great many people would have unsubscribed until MoP is released.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/20/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Muguguypan
Well they really wouldn't lose money

They would lose potential money. We've already shown that we're willing to throw extra money at Blizzard for a "free" game and an in game mount. If they decided to string me along after I've held up my end of the bargain, I would show my unhappiness by no longer buying their products. While I can't speak for others, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
Your post is still just speculation Muguguypan.

Blizzard would be legally required to live up to their end of the agreement no matter the delay.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/20/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Muguguypan
They already got a year of subscriptions, which is MUCH more than they would have received had they not offered the Annual Pass and Diablo 3 had come out in Q1 2012 as many believed. Without the Annual Pass, I would imagine a great many people would have unsubscribed until MoP is released.

More speculation. =\
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
02/20/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Muguguypan
Will blizzard actually honor their original intention and still give DIABLO 3 to players even though for many early annual pass adopters will have finished their year long commitment in late 2012?

We're not in the habit of altering a promotion while the promotion is active. The promotion states specific rewards for maintaining a 12 month subscription to World of Warcraft, as long as those conditions are met a signed up account will receive them, when available.

02/20/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Muguguypan
I believe, like many, that the real intention behind the annual pass was to keep people subscribed to WOW though a new game would be eating up WOW playing time.

I question saying "real intention" as if it is a secret that we'd want to keep people subscribed to the game. That's what promotions do, bring in business, in exchange for some kind of benefit.

The promotion does allow you, as the player, to receive a bunch of benefits, by merely keeping that subscription active. It is for those who were intending to keep playing anyway that receive the most benefit, and perhaps help those who were thinking about it to decide.

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
and besides as has been stated already it was a legally binding contract if blizzard was to renegade on it chances are they open them selves up for law suits
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
As to the "delays" - You can only delay something if there was a time period set. Blizzard has NEVER released a date when Diablo 3 would be available. The closest we get is "It will be ready when it's ready".

I have seen ads up at various gaming stores that claim a release date - but if it's not posted by Blizzard, I wouldn't trust it. Some people I know at one of those stores actually TOLD me that thye are regularly in the habit of "making up" release dates so they can take pre-orders, due to the way their system is set up. And if the company doesn't have any information when the "release date" is getting close, they say "Oh, it was delayed".

Seen this practice for a LOT of games. And it sucks, because it makes the producer look like the bad guy, and not the faulty system for pre-orders.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Rogue
02/20/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Vrakthris

We're not in the habit of altering a promotion while the promotion is active. The promotion states specific rewards for maintaining a 12 month subscription to World of Warcraft, as long as those conditions are met a signed up account will receive them, when available.

I believe, like many, that the real intention behind the annual pass was to keep people subscribed to WOW though a new game would be eating up WOW playing time.

I question saying "real intention" as if it is a secret that we'd want to keep people subscribed to the game. That's what promotions do, bring in business, in exchange for some kind of benefit.

The promotion does allow you, as the player, to receive a bunch of benefits, by merely keeping that subscription active. It is for those who were intending to keep playing anyway that receive the most benefit, and perhaps help those who were thinking about it to decide.

Thank you for the response Vrakthris. This is exactly what I thought, just wanted verification to show others who are claiming otherwise that no matter what happens with the release of Diablo 3, the annual pass commitment is indeed just 1 year from the date of activation.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Rogue
02/20/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Maeby
They already got a year of subscriptions, which is MUCH more than they would have received had they not offered the Annual Pass and Diablo 3 had come out in Q1 2012 as many believed. Without the Annual Pass, I would imagine a great many people would have unsubscribed until MoP is released.

More speculation. =\

Speculation requires i arrive at a set conclusion... and I am not... I am offering possible scenarios and request information on POSSIBLE outcomes... so if you want to throw out the word speculation as if that somehow renders my question invalid, be my guest... but your time and attention might have been better spent on "helping" someone else with real information.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
The semantics lesson hardly seems necessary, given that you have an answer.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Rogue
02/20/2012 08:54 PMPosted by Teufelgott
The semantics lesson hardly seems necessary, given that you have an answer.

Uh same could be said for your comment... by the by, the semantics lesson was aimed at someone in particular, not in general and in response to two attempts to make my questions seem unworthy of comments.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/20/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Muguguypan
but your time and attention might have been better spent on "helping" someone else with real information.

While I noted the speculation when I first responded, I also gave you correct information.

02/20/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Muguguypan
Speculation requires i arrive at a set conclusion

And where did you get that? Speculation is just the process of considering some subject.

What you were doing was speculating. I wasn't being insulting, just noticing that you were bringing up a lot of "what if's". I will take out the word speculation from my original comment, and instead say....

There's a lot of "what if's" in your post! =]

and in response to two attempts to make my questions seem unworthy of comments.

And that was not my intention. Not even a little bit.
Edited by Maeby on 2/20/2012 10:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
35 Orc Rogue
And where did you get that? Speculation is just the process of considering some subject.

I don't need a dictionary, but recalling what that word means, it could mean many things... but speculation usually requires both your "what ifs" and a conclusion as in:

These speculations are impossible to verify.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
..or as in...

"We could speculate all day about possible release dates, but what we do know for sure, is that Blizzard will honor their contracts."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]