World of Warcraft Perf AMD CPU ID vs Intel

90 Worgen Warlock
Hey Support,

I had some extra time on my hands and went about testing performance differences with wow-64.exe using spoofed CPU ID's using Vmware and found some startling differences.

In laymans terms this is reporting an AMD CPU as an Intel Core I7 to wow-64.exe

Without further ado here are the WOW performance tests done on a Interlagos 8C/16C vs Core I7 3960X with spoofed CPU IDs.

No CPU ID change:
AMD --> 76min/102max
Intel -->148min/212max

CPU ID spoofed:
AMD --> 127min/162max
Intel -->88min/122max

Im not sure exactly how you guys optimize the compiler in terms of intel vs amd but the results are rather interesting.
Edited by Urgfelstorm on 2/22/2012 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Mage
Hey Support,

I had some extra time on my hands and went about testing performance differences with wow-64.exe using spoofed CPU ID's using Vmware and found some startling differences.

In laymans terms this is reporting an AMD CPU as an Intel Core I7 to wow-64.exe

Without further ado here are the WOW performance tests done on a Interlagos 8C/16C vs Core I7 3960X with spoofed CPU IDs.

No CPU ID change:
AMD --> 76min/102max
Intel -->148min/212max

CPU ID spoofed:
AMD --> 127min/162max
Intel -->88min/122max

Im not sure exactly how you guys optimize the compiler in terms of intel vs amd but the results are rather interesting.

Interesting
Edited by Northernlite on 2/22/2012 12:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Why is the fps for the Intel CPU lower with CPUID spoofed? Are you comparing native vs. vmware performance? Or are you spoofing the CPUID to a CPU that doesn't support SSE / AVX, resulting in slower performance from a fallback to x87 FPU math?

If your non-spoofed results are for native, then you're also benching virtualization performance, aren't you?

Also, IDK if you have vmware set up give the VM exclusive direct access to the vid card with VT-d, or if you're using the host system's gl / dx11 drivers. 2500k and 2600k CPUs don't support VT-d, unlike the non-K non-unlocked versions, but I haven't checked on sandy-bridge E.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]