Winners and Losers of the Cataclysm

02/24/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Vyrin
*Sylvanas says she's going to do bad things to Koltira, and Thassarian says he's going to go after him. Both situations are ones that are likely to take some time; the former as Sylvanas slowly turns him to her side, the latter as Thassarian investigates both where Koltira went and how to get into the Undercity without immediately getting slaughtered by Kor'kron.

Thassarian then subsequently appears in the Firelands, apparently having forgotten all about rescuing Koltira and restoring Lordaeron.

I WOULD kind of sort of be willing to cut them some slack on it, just because it was obvious the cameos on that quest were more "Haha hey remember this character" than anything that made sense from a canon perspective, but it really doesn't speak well to their chances of ever properly following up on it. I mean, Thassarian literally abandoned his post, his commission, and the battle to save Koltira. That generally doesn't imply "Oh, I'll wait around a few years, let Koltira get brainwashed a little, maybe take a detour to do a few other things, then. Eh. Eventually I'll rescue him." This the guy who had the willpower to essentially resist the pull of the Lich King in order to hold up the battle and send new DKs to save Koltira.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I don't think they're Canon.

Unless deathguard Darnell and Calder Grey are in the employ of the Cenarion Circle...
Edited by Skytotem on 2/24/2012 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote

Unless deathguard Darnell and Calder Grey are in the employ of the Cenarion Circle...

Hell, why not? The CC seems pretty hell bent on dismissing every OTHER crime the Horde's committed. Might as well do the same for the worst of the Forsaken.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/24/2012 09:16 PMPosted by Preaplanes
Hell, why not? The CC seems pretty hell bent on dismissing every OTHER crime the Horde's committed. Might as well do the same for the worst of the Forsaken.
I wouldn't doubt it at this point. I'm sure they would have called our fight with the Lich King "petty" if they had found Hyjal under attack back then. They've gone all Churchill on us.

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
I mean sheesh, Churchill, the devil?

At least the devil was hanging out in his own place instead of attacking everyone else like Hitler was.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
1) Neptulon
Of the four elemental lords, who let's not forget are Ragnaros-level bastions of primal fury and major servants created by the Old Gods themselves, Neptulon was considered the most powerful of them all. He was also the only one considered to be actually not evil, if for no other reason than his feud with Ragnaros, as championed via the Hydraxian Waterlords, as far back as Vanilla. It is no surprise, therefore, that he would make some kind of appearance in Vash'jir, and entirely underwater zone and home to the Abyssal Maw. Players quest through multiple rich, detailed sections of deep sea towards this target, as mentioned prominently in the press releases leading up to the expansion's release.

And then, as players rush to his defense in one of the first dungeons in the expansion, he is grabbed by an octopus and carried away. He is never seen again.

This is the only part I'd have to disagree with. The #1 loser in Cataclysm would be the Worgen. They only get half their story, and are never heard from again.

The story the Worgen do get is epic and well presented though.

Nepulton dosen't even get that....I have to agree he was the undisputed #1 loser of Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

Calder Gray was kicked out of The Horde....somehow I doubt the CC has lower standards for conduct.
Reply Quote
Don't forget about Krasus who was killed in a book and got absolutely no mention in game.
Not a lick.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Don't forget about Krasus who was killed in a book and got absolutely no mention in game.
Not a lick.

That might prove to be a boon to him, since the game already contradicts Thrall and the Aspects or vice versa. The game will ignore whatever happens in any book and the game will not be changed to match any new books that are written. For better or worse.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I would argue that the biggest loser was Deathwing. The guy literally had the world in his grasps, but he blew it big time and not in the way he intended.
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Paladin
4) Harrison Jones
In the Burning Crusade, Harrison Jones made his first appearance by wandering through the doors of ZUl'Aman and being one-shotted by the instance's first trash pack, which lived next to Wilfred Fizzlebang as the most embarrassing appearance in any raid. In Cataclysm, this death scene is entirely replaced by an extensive quest chain, spanning an entire zone, in which he is unquestionably more effective. This kind of drastic U-turn easily places him high on the list.

Is Harrison Jones the winner? Or are we all the losers. Not a fan of Uldum. But his exploits there aren't such a drastic change when you consider his appearance in Grizzly Hills was largely the same gag as we see in Uldum.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
02/25/2012 05:36 AMPosted by Cbredbeard
That might prove to be a boon to him, since the game already contradicts Thrall and the Aspects or vice versa. The game will ignore whatever happens in any book and the game will not be changed to match any new books that are written. For better or worse.
I'm not quite sure how you can argue that, given how many references are made to events in the books that we never see in game, like Fandral Staghelm's betrayal, Cairne's death, Magni's petrification, the destruction of the Dragon Soul, Anvenna as the avatar of the Sunwell, Nozdormu's return, Ysera's vision of the Hour of Twilight...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/25/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
I'm not quite sure how you can argue that, given how many references are made to events in the books that we never see in game, like Fandral Staghelm's betrayal, Cairne's death, Magni's petrification, the destruction of the Dragon Soul, Anvenna as the avatar of the Sunwell, Nozdormu's return, Ysera's vision of the Hour of Twilight...

I didn't say the game would always ignore what's in the books. Just that everything in the book is subject to being ignored and contradicted by the game. Of course, I've only ever read one Warcraft book and it was the first of the WoA series, so maybe they do a better job creating consistency than I give them credit for.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Calder Gray was kicked out of The Horde

Well... he was kicked out of Orgrimmar
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
They may not always directly reference events in the books, but they generally don't directly contradict them either.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

This is the only part I'd have to disagree with. The #1 loser in Cataclysm would be the Worgen. They only get half their story, and are never heard from again.

The story the Worgen do get is epic and well presented though.

Nepulton dosen't even get that....I have to agree he was the undisputed #1 loser of Cata.

Sorry, but any race that's introduced in an expansion that has it's story end by level 12 is a major loser. Look at Goblins, they're everywhere, Blizzard even went so far as to write in having the Alliance piss off the Steamwheedle Gobs. Yet there is absolutely nothing for Worgen once they leave Gilneas.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Rogue
Rub
Funny you should mention Inscription. I resubbed and was acquainting myself with a new Orgrimmar, frequently going to the guards for directions, and every direction I asked for had at least a short paragraph of flavor text.

Then I get directions to the Inscription trainer, and the guard says "I've marked the location on your map."

Sounds like even the devs hate Inscription.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Funny you should mention Inscription. I resubbed and was acquainting myself with a new Orgrimmar, frequently going to the guards for directions, and every direction I asked for had at least a short paragraph of flavor text.Then I get directions to the Inscription trainer, and the guard says "I've marked the location on your map."Sounds like even the devs hate Inscription.

The old ones are leftover from Vanilla.

They just never updated inscription because...

I dunno. /rolls eyes.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
On the guys that had the worst, I would have brought up the Night Elves, maybe the Worgen, too.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Apart from those mentioned, Fandral Staghelm and Maiev are my two biggest losers of Cataclysm. Maiev was only doing her job until Tyrande came in and wrecked her prison. Now she's just insane, with Illidan dead. Awesome.

As far as Fandral goes, I just wish he was still Alliance. The night elves were so much more interesting with him around being the counterweight to boring Tyrande.

For the winners, again apart from the mentioned, it'll be Moira Bronzebeard and Anduin Wrynn. Moira's probably my favorite female character in Warcraft now. She's not insane or arm candy for a man. She wants her son on the throne and he's got a right to be there. She's not a good person, but her the motives behind her actions are clear and understandable, for the most part.

And do I really need to say anything about Anduin? He went from a nothing of a character to someone really likable. He's the voice of reason behind his father and the two work well with each other.

Honorable mentions to Mekkatorque. He did retake a good chunk of Gnomeregan, after all. Did a lot more than Varian or Jaina this expansion. >_>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]