Letting people die on purpose

I haven't had to resort to that many times, but yes... a time or three I have let jerks eat dirt. I will heal undergeared people, I will heal people that stand in the bad (though I will comment) as long as doing so wouldn't cause someone who was taking unavoidable damage to die, but I draw the line at healing people whose only apparent goal in life is to harass people. People are welcome to think that is a power-trip all they like, but reality is... if I see someone being a jerk IRL I will say something... letting people die is my version of "saying something" (though I do usually actually say something first...death is a last resort) in the game world. Call it what you like, but I don't check my morality at the door.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Ever do that thing were when some one is being a real !*%# you just let them die?

MUHAHAHAHA

Respect your heals!!!

We still beat Manaroth despite the cocky "Im the top dps" guy and his douchebaggery.

lolololol

No. I joke about it with my husband or friends, but I would never actually do it. I have too much of a conscience and I take my job as a healer very seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I prefer to play the "How low can ya go" game with them.

Occasionally I'll lose someone but c'est la vie.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
No, cause I sort of consider it the do 2 wrongs make it right sort of thing. So let me get this straight, some jerk wasn't doing their job, and to correct the situation, you decided to become a jerk -- who wasn't doing his?

How does that help your groups, or the other guys in party having to deal with the person being a jerk? It pretty much doesn't.

Something about it .. just can't bring myself to do it, it feels wrong.

People say, well if you heal them they are never going to learn.

To that, I respond people are egoistical, and 90% of the time the only thing that person learned was that you were/are a bad healer, not that they did anything wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2012 01:14 AMPosted by Elethia
There's a difference between the situation you've described, and the situation the OP described.

Oh, I know. Just thought I should toss in my 2¢.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I would rather stand up to a rude, verbally abusive, immature bully in a group and take action against them (ie letting them die) than take the easy way out and shut up (or just leave) so they can continue their poor behavior and ruin someone else's day.

Anyone who "takes the high road" all the time and finds themselves dropping a lot of groups shouldn't be proud of that, imo. There's a fine line between not stooping to someone's level and being a coward who can't handle conflict.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
If a person stands in the fire for more than 6 seconds or so I stop giving them heals. If they don't move out by the time their health hits 0% they deserve to be dead.

Edit: To people saying you aren't doing your job - You can keep healing the bads so that they never learn to play correctly, I refuse to do so.
Edited by Goshi on 2/24/2012 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
In BGs there is always someone who falls for a taffy pull. I will stay with them the first time just in case they are strong enough to get away with it. But the when they die (or get me killed) and then do it again; I just shield them, hot them, watch their health bar go to zero, and walk away.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Holyhellion
In BGs there is always someone who falls for a taffy pull. I will stay with them the first time just in case they are strong enough to get away with it. But the when they die (or get me killed) and then do it again; I just shield them, hot them, watch their health bar go to zero, and walk away.

You are speaking PvP-ese... Can you break that down for me in PvE-speak please?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
02/24/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Phaydre
You are speaking PvP-ese... Can you break that down for me in PvE-speak please?

I believe he means when two groups are facing off they will run up to eachother then pull back to try and get a person to break away from the main group.

Kinda like putting two pieces of taffy together and pulling them apart. Sometimes they stick together ;)
Edited by Goshi on 2/24/2012 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Taffy pull: when one or more enemies run into your group then run away dragging a portion with them back to their group to be devoured. On the mini-map, it will look like taffy being stretched out, then cut off.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
not only do I do this to random pugs that irritate me to an extreme level... I FREQUENTLY let dps in our main run die and have a teabag macro on my bars for just such instances. They learn pretty quickly to not stand in X tornado on trash. GG dps.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
02/23/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Vorath
It wastes time. You queued as a healer for a reason, do your job.

And my time is wasted when someone acts rude.

It only wastes your time when you let them die. Did you even read that before you posted it?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/24/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Aísó

And my time is wasted when someone acts rude.

It only wastes your time when you let them die. Did you even read that before you posted it?

If your goal is to have fun instead of grind VP, letting them die isn't wasting your time.

Its arguably the best use of it.
Reply Quote
Some people really need to step off their high horses, lol.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
02/24/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Windfuehrer
Some people really need to step off their high horses, lol.

Right? We should just carry everyone. Who cares if they suck and need to learn to move out of fire, healing them while they continue to stand in it will work wonders for their situational awareness.

The next time they are on that boss they will definitely move as you have ingrained useful skills into their playstyle. Namely standing in fire.
Reply Quote
I have to agree, I take healing seriously, an Sometimes I let myself die trying to save someone else. An I get pissed if I fail. But theres a limit! you spend the whole fight standing in bad stuff, I'll give ya a few seconds, but I am not gonna waste all my mana, trying to heal said person if they refuse to move.

But I won't let you die on purpose, Unelss (See above paragraph). though I have been tempted. But I am not 85 yet so maybe things will change
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Death is a pretty effective motivator to improve.

Who cares if it takes me 5-10 extra minutes to finish the run. I'm training the community.

One day when you get a group full of DPS who move at the right times you'll look back on this post and thank me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In response to everyone who commented on the relative small offense which led to my course of action I humbly apologize. I realize now that involving my emotions fully in every experience I undertake in life is a mistake; I should instead go through life in a trance-like yogi-master state, as you do, and hopefully once this is achieved the idea of having someone's balls dangled repeatedly down my throat would lead only to a haughty chortle.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]