Smoke Bomb

I'd be happy if it worked at all. I drop a smoke bomb and death rains down on me from 10 directions at once. Not AoE death, personal me-targeted death. Did all those players already have me targeted before I dropped the smoke bomb? And I almost never see other rogues drop them, I wonder why...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Here's a serious suggestion, why doesn't smoke bomb block sight for all players instead of just enemy players, so you actually have to think about when you use it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
03/01/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Kolz
Here's a serious suggestion, why doesn't smoke bomb block sight for all players instead of just enemy players, so you actually have to think about when you use it.

This is....a really bad and incorrect train of thought. There's this idea that rogues don't think about their abilities, but its really presumptuous to say that your class takes thought but rogues somehow don't. Smoke bomb is a 3 min cd; you don't just pop it like a stun. If a rogue is using it at all (many don't), he's already thought through why he's using it. Said rogue may not always use it effectively (maybe he tried to to buy himself a few more seconds of life instead of doing something really useful with it) but rogues aren't just mashing buttons (at least in pvp).
Edited by Valteris on 3/1/2012 3:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/01/2012 03:14 AMPosted by Valteris
If a rogue is using it at all (many don't)

Many are bad. And that's not just rogues either.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
03/01/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Kolz

It is a good suggestion although it would limit the partnering choices to melee classes because a caster partner would be locked out of dps on the kill target. Instead a rogue would partner with melee because the LOS is not an issue when you are in the cloud.

I think the mechanics of smoke bomb are fantastic. However, it is only compounding the issues that make rogues too deadly.

1. Remove it from Prep
2. Reduce Recuperate healing to 2% every 3 sec
3. MoP class (not tied to any spec) skill:
Deadly Momentum

After killing an opponent that yields experience or honor your Slice and Dice and Recuperate abilities are refreshed to their original duration and their effects are increased by 100%.

This makes slice and dice 80% melee attack speed increase and Recuperate 4% every 3 sec ... after killing a mob or a player only.

Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
maybe smoke bomb should give you lung cancer,...
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
I think Smokebomb in MoP should apply a debuff which drains $1 per second out of opposing players game time balance.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
03/01/2012 03:14 AMPosted by Valteris

This is....a really bad and incorrect train of thought. There's this idea that rogues don't think about their abilities, but its really presumptuous to say that your class takes thought but rogues somehow don't. Smoke bomb is a 3 min cd; you don't just pop it like a stun. If a rogue is using it at all (many don't), he's already thought through why he's using it. Said rogue may not always use it effectively (maybe he tried to to buy himself a few more seconds of life instead of doing something really useful with it) but rogues aren't just mashing buttons (at least in pvp).

Perhaps I should have said they have to plan ahead to use it, but I get the feeling you know what I mean. There isn't a whole lot of thought involved in "oh the healer isn't ontop of this guy, out of cc and I just kidneyd, time for bomb!".

03/01/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Caeks
It is a good suggestion although it would limit the partnering choices to melee classes because a caster partner would be locked out of dps on the kill target.

Yeah this is a pretty legitimate concern, to be fair. I just think smoke bomb is too strong in its current state, and forcing the team using it to group up in the bomb not only makes it easier to see when it's coming and prepare for it, it also makes the team more vulnerable to peels (a priest running in and fearbombing or what have you).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Smoke bomb should instantly kill the rogue. They sacrifice themselves for the good of the group!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
03/02/2012 12:08 AMPosted by Kolz
Perhaps I should have said they have to plan ahead to use it, but I get the feeling you know what I mean. There isn't a whole lot of thought involved in "oh the healer isn't ontop of this guy, out of cc and I just kidneyd, time for bomb!".

Sounds like proper set up to me. A novice rogue will see the need for the smoke bomb but not actually ensure his target will stay in it. A kidney shot thrown out first actually proves he *was* thinking ahead. I've yet to be convinced it's a mindless ability. I'm not mad or anything, I just don't think a legitimate argument has been put forth. I think people may not like smoke bomb, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its place. There's no way for healing to remain as stupidly strong as it is and not have a way to counter it.
Edited by Valteris on 3/2/2012 2:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
03/02/2012 02:29 AMPosted by Valteris
Sounds like proper set up to me.

I'm going to put this kindly. You're wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/24/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Tyiako
No, it needs to be a toxic cloud that deals damage every second to every enemy within 60 yards, increasing depending on how close to the center one is. Since it's thick, black smoke, enemy casters should be silenced while inside of it, and attack/cast speed should be lowered by 50%. Also, since it's dark, rogue should gain access to stealth only moves as well as an increased critical strike chance.

Good idea.

Smoke bomb should last 10 seconds. During its duration all targets are silenced and rooted. Furthermore, the smoke is toxic. Everyone in the smoke bomb loses 20% of their max health per second from inhaling the toxic gas. The smoke makes it hard to administer medical attention and healing. All healing done to targets under the effects of the smoke bomb debuff is reduced by 98%.

The toxic smoke is also sticky and clingy. Any target that leaves the area of the smoke bomb carries with it a small cloud of the smoke. This lingering smoke lasts an additional 6 seconds during which all of the affects of smoke bomb, except for the root. Continue to apply.

Due to the clingy nature of the smoke bomb, effects that normally remove debuffs, such as pally bubble or iceblock are ineffective. When a pally activates bubble, the smoke is stuck inside the bubble with the pally and continues to tick normally. When a mage activates iceblock the smoke freezes. This halts the countdown timer on the smoke until the mage unfreezes, at which point the countdown timer restarts.

Rogues carry plenty of smoke bombs in easy-to-access bandoliers. As a result, they can access and toss them rapidly. Each smoke bomb has a 40 yard range, affects a 15 yard radius area, costs 5 energy and has no cooldown.
Edited by Mistwynd on 3/2/2012 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
03/01/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Xantha
maybe smoke bomb should give you lung cancer,...

Yes. It should launch cigarettes at everyone that apply a slow damage over time spell. Cancer is the ultimate silent killer after all.

Being DoT'ed up never looked so cool....
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
03/02/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Bravehearth
Smoke bomb should instantly kill the rogue.

sometimes it does
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
03/02/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Xantha
Smoke bomb should instantly kill the rogue.

sometimes it does

Yea, maybe if the rogue's target is another rogue. Otherwise, only bad rogues die in their own smoke bombs. And really, how can a rogue die in his own smoke bomb? If he isn't stunning his target in there, then there's no damage to worry about.

I think that Smoke Bomb should topple kingdoms over, shut down society, corrupt the church and enslave the general population.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
What if they changed the functionality of smoke bomb to:

Smoke Bomb
Creates a thick cloud of smoke within 8 yards that disorients all targets affected for 5 sec and drops the rogue from combat. Enemies are unable to target into or out of the cloud.

Would create interesting ShS ---> Smoke Bomb CC on the focus target/s This disorient shares DR with sap and gouge of course.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]