Are most healers female?

85 Night Elf Druid
I'm male, and all my healers are female (there are four of them). Then again, most of my characters are female, in general.

I'd definitely agree that there are more female characters that heal, but most of the healers I know are male players.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Huh, odd realization for me. All of Bane's healers and tanks are male. Four of our seven DPS are women.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Female here with this priest as my main. Other geared toons at 85 are BM hunter and Feral kitty.

I plan to make my first tank when the monk comes out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm going to out on a limb a bit here, and throw out my own purely subjective opinion which I have no real way to substantiate. I don't doubt that somewhere north of 3 out of 4 players are male. Based on my own sampling, it's actually more like 9 out of 10.

But I don't really think that the percentage of players who are (real life) gals are necessarily much more likely than (real life) guys to be healers - what I really think happens is that with older players the class roles are more evenly split than with the younger players. Or stated another way, I suspect that as a percentage, younger players make up a smaller percentage of the healers than they do either tanks or DPS.

And going even further out on a limb here with the unprovable, I've noticed that as a very broad-base generalization younger players have a larger tendency to "be" their character, while older players are more likely to "control" their character.

I think this translates to an ON AVERAGE somewhat older player performing the healing role over the other two - and one that is more likely to pick a character to play based more on pure aesthetics than the younger players, who are more likely to have to feel they can identify with their character, so it has to represent them.

And let's face it, the female forms used in the game are well done and aesthetically pleasing, while the male forms generally have all the appeal of a drunken blue-butt baboon.

That's why I think there is a perception that more healers are (real life) gals - because for a substantial portion of the playerbase playing a character that doesn't represent them is an anathema, and the assumption is that if they see more female characters, it must mean that the player behind it is likely female.

I don't think that's really true when it comes to healers - I think it really just means that it's an (on average) older player who's less like to choose a male character just because he's male.

Em's my take on it, anyway.

<S>

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2012 11:02 PMPosted by Sylth
And going even further out on a limb here with the unprovable, I've noticed that as a very broad-base generalization younger players have a larger tendency to "be" their character, while older players are more likely to "control" their character.

Very insightful, and while this doesn't necessarily apply to me, I can definitely attest to the trend.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
All of my guild's healers are males. :3
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i am a dude
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Well I am a male and pretty much the only reason this shaman is a female is because I honestly do not like the male goblin casting animations.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
My raid has a female healers, female dpsers and one female tank. We're everywhere!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/25/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Elethia
My raid has a female healers, female dpsers and one female tank. We're everywhere!

Omg mine too. We're, like, sisters!
Edited by Intrigue on 2/25/2012 3:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Our heal team is 4 males and two females.

our tank team is two females and one male
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Would you believe that behind this beard is a female?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/25/2012 04:48 AMPosted by Zarriea
Would you believe that behind this beard is a female?

Dwarf females have beards. Not hard to believe :)
Reply Quote
23 Orc Hunter
02/24/2012 09:47 PMPosted by Jesminia
Most of the female players I met in game have healing toons. But most of the healers in my guild are male. I think this is because male players way out number female players in this game, especially those raid.

Pretty much this. I've known and befriended a lot of female players in WoW since I've been online since I had a 110 coupler modem and don't freak out when I interact with them online.

But I remember in Naxx40 on my Shaman (and back in vanilla if you were a Shaman you were healing in raids) I often would be assigned to heal our one female tank. And while she was not our best tank she was more than good enough to be in a Naxx40 progression guild which at the time was no mean feat.

The only thing was she was a female Undead War. So tiny! I would lose track of her sometimes amidst all the cows, trolls, and orcs running around heh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm a girl but only have like 1 healer. I'd rather go * stabby stabby*
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
In my pally's raid group our healer roster is:
1 female paladin
1 male paladin
1 female priest
1 male priest
1 male druid
1 female shaman
1 male shaman
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well you see, about 90% of the game is male, so about 90% of healers would be male too.

Of that 10% that are female (these are BS numbers by the way, but seeing as there's 2 female raiders in my guild, myself included, it seems right), I'd say that they're split between DPS, tanking, and healing pretty evenly. I'm a girl, and I love to heal. The other girl in my raid is a DPS. You don't see female tanks very often, but I'd contribute that to not seeing girls very often, and less people play tanks anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
02/24/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Malrius
Most healers I know, are male. :/

This. I encounter far more tanks who are women than healers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You know, I don't think it has anything to do with gender.

I'm female and I've tried every class (though only a rogue and this priest is 85).
I'd say it simply has to do with a person's preference.

For example, I perfer melee to range, so my hunter gets almost no love from me.
I like tanking well enough, so I've leveled all (but DK) to about mid-way lvl.
I like healing very much, so Im working on a Disc, HPally, RShammy and RDruid in order to get a better understanding of it all.

I just choose to play what I like.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]