Resto shaman pvp

85 Undead Mage
I've been leveling a shaman, actually have one on alliance at 85 from a year ago. Was way undergeared then but I liked the play style. But I also have a paladin alt and am trying to choose between them. Going to heal pvp, I like arena more than RBGs. I know shaman are pretty strong. Seems like they have more options in pvp but some paladins can go forever and are really hard to take down. In your opinion which has more comp options in the arena and which is stronger overall? I'm pretty open to either.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
pally:

PHD
Kittycleave
TSG
KFC
RMPal
KFC with a rogue
Junglecleave

Sham

RMS
RLS
LSD2.0
KFC rogue or war
SHD - like PHD
MLS
Kittycleave
Junglecleave
Shadowplay
shadowcleave
sham/ret/rogue
sham/UHdk/rogue

SHAM/LOCK/X (X can almost be any class)

Sham has a lot more options then palys imo and pallys get nuked faster then shams do too. u can prevent a lot of cc's or silences with grounding when u r out in the open. Spiritwalker + healing urself on the move is OP against melee who like to tunnel u. Pallys imo are a lot more vulnerable to cc chains then a sham is. Your mastery saves ur !@# or others. You or your target can be at 5% HP and u can land a GHW crit for 160K+

RLS is the best by far but takes a very skilled lock and rogue with excellent synergy and high awareness by both classes including yourself.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Sorry I'm not up on all the terms, what's kittycleave, war pal feral? What's kfc? Is junglecleave hunter feral paladin? What is LSD2.0? I know shadowcleave/shadowplay are dk resto something, but what are they?

You confirmed what I was thinking though, that shaman have a lot more utility and options than paladins. Are reto shaman the best pvp healer right now? Because it kinda feels that way. What advantages does a holy paladin have over the shaman, mana efficiency? Better buffs?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Sorry I'm not up on all the terms, what's kittycleave, war pal feral? What's kfc? Is junglecleave hunter feral paladin? What is LSD2.0? I know shadowcleave/shadowplay are dk resto something, but what are they?

You confirmed what I was thinking though, that shaman have a lot more utility and options than paladins. Are reto shaman the best pvp healer right now? Because it kinda feels that way. What advantages does a holy paladin have over the shaman, mana efficiency? Better buffs?

Kittycleave - Warrior/Feral/Hpal
KFC - Warrior/Hunter/Hpal
Jungle cleave - Hunter/feral/hpal
!@# 2.0 - Resto shaman, boomkin, lock
Shadowcleave - Dk/Lock/Hpal or Rsham/lock/dk

Advantages paladins have over shamans:
-Mana pools, I find myself running out of mana quicker than most holy paladins in arena.
-3 dps, 3 dps always have the upper hand against shamans but are weak against holy paladins(bubble, bop, freedoms, wog heals, etc).

Generally, holy paladins seem to work well in cleaves, melee cleaves for freedoms and dispels, in spell cleaves the bop/aura mastery works well.

I've played both and I just seem to like shaman A LOT more, even if 3 dps makes me rage.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have already bought this guy the full vicious healing set for 85 and my Shaman is at level 61. I wanted to make both of them healing but I'm not sure which one that I should focus on.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
3 dps doesn't seem like a serious arena threat though. I mean maybe a shadow priest/rogue/mage or lock combo, cus the priest can still shield effectively, but I don't see other triple dps advancing that far.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
A CC heavy comp is going to be a lot better for resto as opposed to a melee heavy comp. Try to avoid warriors if you can since they have poor peels. You want the CC for peels. Mage/lock/sham was the main comp that got shaman nerfed. RLS is also very sturdy.

You will have the hardest time against double melee so a frost mage is going to be pretty big help. Rogues are excellent too but that's just because smokebomb is silly and their damage, utility and control are very high.

I would just suggest against being on a team with two melee unless they are very good at peeling like a feral druid.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
How did shaman get nerfed? I know bloodlust is no longer available in arena but mages and hunters had it at this point too.

Rogues are ridiculous all around. They used to be cc'ing glass cannons but they are hard to kill now, especially the good ones who use recuperate right. I'd rather take down a warrior.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
02/27/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Creosote
How did shaman get nerfed?

Wind shear was nerfed to base 15 sec cd from 6.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
02/27/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Creosote
How did shaman get nerfed?

A hefty 20% Healing Surge nerf which made it unusable in PvE.

Another thing I would suggest staying away from is being on a team with DPS spec shaman because the shields don't play well together. The DPS shaman will take a DPS hit if you put ES on them because a shaman can't have two shields on at once even if one is from another shaman. This especially impacts ele. Why this problem still exists is anybody's guess.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
You can still talent wind shear down to where it was though. I guess I didn't notice if resto take that talent or not. Healing surge is a big nerf, but shaman still seem to have the hps in pvp. Thanks for the info!

And I would probably never double up a class in 3s except possible ret pal + holy pal for a cleave anyway.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
02/28/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Creosote
You can still talent wind shear down to where it was though.

What? This would be just plain dumb. You would give up AS for it which would make things pretty bad. No one does this nor will they ever do it unless snares go away.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]