How often do you use Healing Surge?

85 Orc Death Knight
Its quick but low heals unless it crits, do you Resto Shamans use this spell a lot?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
in pvp i used it alot, especially with the riptide, healing surge (juke) into a ghw
Edited by Rapph on 2/25/2012 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Never. It's not on any of my action bars, nor is it bound to any button.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
My Priest's Flash Heal crits for like 40k or so in this gear, is Healing Surge considerably weaker or something?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/25/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Steveracityx
My Priest's Flash Heal crits for like 40k or so in this gear, is Healing Surge considerably weaker or something?

I dont pve heal ever but you have to remember a shaman riptide + unleash is about 22k healing without a cast, makes us sip mana too. I use surge in pvp sometimes but i rely on flash on my priest.
Edited by Rapph on 2/25/2012 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/25/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Steveracityx

As ele I want to say mine crits for less than 20k. As resto it'll probably somewhere in that ballpark.

As a healer fast heals are really not needed unless it's a life/death situation and you HAVE to get someone up really quick.The way I understand it that because of gear now all your heals are relatively fast enough to be cast, and not mana intensive to drain you quick enough so there is rarely, if ever, a reason to cast fast and weak heals.

PvP is a different story than PvE with healing, but it follows a semi-similar pattern.
Edited by Shamus on 2/25/2012 10:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/25/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Shamus

As ele I want to say mine crits for less than 20k. As resto it'll probably somewhere in that ballpark.

As a healer fast heals are really not needed unless it's a life/death situation and you HAVE to get someone up really quick.The way I understand it that because of gear now all your heals are relatively fast enough to be cast, and not mana intensive to drain you quick enough so there is rarely, if ever, a reason to cast fast and weak heals.

PvP is a different story than PvE with healing, but it follows a semi-similar pattern.

you can hit higher then that in ele assuming your spec'd into the resto tree for pvp, i can crit mid-high 20s on a surge on myself
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
The thing is that with tidal waves up, Greater Healing Wave is only slightly slower to cast, is more heals per mana, and basic heals for as high as HS crit heals for, so the 30% crit bonus on Healing Surge doesn't actually help for anything other than Resurgence. There's literally no reason to HS with Tidal Waves up, and it should be up nearly all of the time.

HS should remain on your bars because there will be times you're caught with someone about to die in a second and you don't have TW up for some reason, but I use it maybe 2-3 times a DS clear.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
The thing is that with tidal waves up, Greater Healing Wave is only slightly slower to cast, is more heals per mana, and basic heals for as high as HS crit heals for, so the 30% crit bonus on Healing Surge doesn't actually help for anything other than Resurgence. There's literally no reason to HS with Tidal Waves up, and it should be up nearly all of the time.

HS should remain on your bars because there will be times you're caught with someone about to die in a second and you don't have TW up for some reason, but I use it maybe 2-3 times a DS clear.

I see, that makes sense.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
All the time. I'm just terrible. xD
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
healing surge has no place in pve at the moment. Its a fast heal but lhw is more effective.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Everytime I do a random (which is basically all I do because I just don't have any luck with raids, and I don't think I'm good enough for raids, nor do I have time) I use Healing Surge 0 times unless I hit it by accident. Like many others I find Healing Surge to be the crappiest heal we have. I prefer Greater Healing Wave over it everytime because well, it crits for over 100k in my randoms (15% healing bonus from the dungeon finder) when the tank or whoever is low on health. Keep in mind, shamans heal a crap load when the person is lower on health. I had a person in a normal heroic be surprised when I crit for 78k, I told him, that's nothing, I crit over 100k! Even in PVP, when I do TB which is not much fun for me anymore cause I have no pvp gear yet but I'm starting, I would use the 1k mana extra everytime because almost always, the end result is much better!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
What is this noise, Elams don't heal ;|

Almost never on Surge.. but sometimes I'll use it on H Hagara when we're being terrible at ice lances / lightning phase where multiple people need quick heals to stay alive and I don't have SWG available. Probably the only time I can really recall using it in dragon soul.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
How often do you use Healing Surge?

almost never, unless it absolutely looks like the target is going to die sooner than 1.4 seconds, the time it takes to cast GHW

it was nerfed for the sake of pvp so is practically useless except for the above situation

Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Outside of Baleroc N or H, I saw no real point to the spell and so I have never used it past that.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
02/25/2012 11:52 PMPosted by Garipedo
What is this noise, Elams don't heal ;|

I do now!

Also, heroic Morchok sees quite a bit of HS usage, particularly if you're solo-healing a side. I generally use it after Tidal Waves falls off when there's 3ish seconds left on a crystal explosion to try and get some extra healing in on multiple targets that won't be interrupted by crystal knockback.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/25/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Rapph

I dont pve heal ever but you have to remember a shaman riptide + unleash is about 22k healing without a cast, makes us sip mana too. I use surge in pvp sometimes but i rely on flash on my priest.

I PVE Raid Heal, and the highest I've seen it crit is about 44k on a 40-50% health person. It's nothing to "brush off" but its VERY...VERY...situational in PVE
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I think I have it on my cast bar. Somewhere.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]