Is Blizzard done with race/class combos?

There was a blue post awhile back explaining it (I'm pretty sure anyways) that explains why they cannot become monks and it makes sense. When you (the player) make a worgen or goblin, you are starting off technically in the past. At this point in time, there are no monks before the cataclysm. So, they cannot be monks sense at that point in time the player worgen/goblin would have already have chosen their class. The only way they could logically fix this is by making goblin/worgen monks skip their starting zones and have a special starting area as monks after the cataclysm, which seems like a lot of effort built around two individual races.

By that logic, there shouldn't be Blood Elf or Draenei monks, either. Their starting zones are in the past, too. If you start a Draenei toon, they still talk about the Exodar crash like it just happened.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
03/05/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Maigraith
By that logic, there shouldn't be Blood Elf or Draenei monks, either. Their starting zones are in the past, too. If you start a Draenei toon, they still talk about the Exodar crash like it just happened.
These zones are also supposed to get updated eventually, while there has been no indication that the goblin zones or worgen start zones will be updated. They still need to update the entire BC chronological issue to show it is after the cataclysm.

Game doesn't = Lore always.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Change undead racial while you're at it
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
02/29/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Nethaera
So, as the title says, can I still hope that they'll add more race/class combos? :)

Well, we're adding the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/pandaren/"]pandaren[/url] and [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/monk/"]monk [/url]in [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/"]Mists of Pandaria[/url] and the monk class will be available to all races save for goblin and worgen, so you could say that, "yes, we're still adding new race/class combos." That said, we want to make sure that when we add things like this that they make sense for the longevity of the game so we can't make any guarantees as to what or how often these will be added into the game. Balancing new classes into the game is a bit more difficult than adding a new race, but there are obviously complexities to both.

How about giving gnomes one more class, so it'll be even on both sides.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
@OP If you're talking about more race/class combos with the 13 races and 11 classes there are (as of MoP) then no, I don't think Blizzard should as any more combos (besides Monk obviously.) As it is, too many races have too many classes, for God's sake Tauren have everything except Mage. If anything Blizzard never should have implemented more combos, as it provides less and less incentive to be a certain race. Like for example before Cata the only Alliance race that could play a shaman was Draenei. Now that Dwarves can be shaman too (although to me it kind of makes sense lorewise) it still provides less incentive to play a Draenei (which not a whole lot of people like) if they want to play a shaman and be alliance.

If Blizzard were to make more race/class combos, they might as well just let every race be every class and dilute the whole thing if you ask me.
Reply Quote
These zones are also supposed to get updated eventually, while there has been no indication that the goblin zones or worgen start zones will be updated. They still need to update the entire BC chronological issue to show it is after the cataclysm.

Game doesn't = Lore always.

I'm not aware of any official statements from Blizzard stating they will update BC starting zones, nor any statements that have categorically stated they will never update Cataclysm starting zones.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
03/05/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Maigraith
I'm not aware of any official statements from Blizzard stating they will update BC starting zones, nor any statements that have categorically stated they will never update Cataclysm starting zones.
They haven't said that they are working on it, that it is something they would like to do but it's a very low priority. I remember reading it on MMO champ along with other blue posts awhile back, as for the cataclysm zones they could always update them of course. I wasn't saying they couldn't, that is with the exception of the goblin/worgen zones sense those take place in the past. It's sort of like how the DK starting zone wasn't updated for cata, even though EPL saw some changes, chronologically, this happens while the LK is still alive and you can see it still takes place back then.

Chronologically, goblins and worgens cannot be monks for this exact reason. Unless there is an update to their specific starting zones so they start in the present like every other race, then they cannot be monks.

Of course, I also believe blizz is partly to blame for this as the whole time sequence has become extremely whacky sense cata was released.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I want my Blood Elf druids!

You have a whole instance chock full of em already! Let me play one!
Reply Quote
4 Human Paladin
I don't know much about the lore..well I don't know hardly anything, but why not make an entirely new faction to compensate for the race/class combos?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I guess no undead pallys. :(
Reply Quote
They haven't said that they are working on it, that it is something they would like to do but it's a very low priority. I remember reading it on MMO champ along with other blue posts awhile back, as for the cataclysm zones they could always update them of course. I wasn't saying they couldn't, that is with the exception of the goblin/worgen zones sense those take place in the past. It's sort of like how the DK starting zone wasn't updated for cata, even though EPL saw some changes, chronologically, this happens while the LK is still alive and you can see it still takes place back then.

Chronologically, goblins and worgens cannot be monks for this exact reason. Unless there is an update to their specific starting zones so they start in the present like every other race, then they cannot be monks.

Of course, I also believe blizz is partly to blame for this as the whole time sequence has become extremely whacky sense cata was released.

Again, that same argument applies to Blood Elf and Draenei monks. Their zones are even farther in the past than the Goblin and Worgen ones. Silvermoon is still full of statues of Kael'thas, for Pete's sake.

Whatever reason Blizzard has for not allowing Worgen and Goblin monks, it isn't chronology.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Priest
For the love of Elune: No more druid races. Especially not blood elves. The idea is so anathema it makes me retch. Leave the night elves something sacred.

And please don't reduce race to merely a cosmetic option.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
03/06/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Arshia
No they don't. Botanica Blood Elves =/= Druids.

Of course they do. High Botanist Freywinn in Bot has a tree form AND tranquility.

Even if they are appropriating the power through another method they are still no less of druids (like Goblin Shaman or Blood Elf Paladins in TBC).

I mean I don't see them getting invited into the Cenarion Circle or anything. But definitely druidic enough.

Keep in mind also they have YET to reveal who the Druids of the Antler are.
Edited by Dichotomous on 3/6/2012 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
48 Dwarf Paladin
I miss that you cant have 2 new members.One alliance one horde.But I still think being a panda bad or not is cool.
Im probbaly gonna level up to 70 then upgrade.Then ill just chill and play around as a Panderan Monk.
Or Death Knight
Tehehe
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Just remove Gnomes, and Goblins from the game altogether! It would make the game 1k better.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Warrior
Gnome Druids FTW!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/begoth_princess/5170133535/
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I want my Blood Elf druids!

You have a whole instance chock full of em already! Let me play one!

Absolutely! I am right there with ya!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]