Cataclysm Post Mortem -- “Ghostcrawler”

(Locked)

85 Tauren Druid
Atleast Ghostcrawler isnt scared to say when messed up or not
85 Dwarf Shaman
03/07/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Attelia
This is really a great read. Happy to hear that Blizzard themselves are aware of some of the problems.

My thoughts ...and you guys should consider adding a new patch with the Abyssal Maw (same gear level as 4.3) and a 1-2 bosses War of the Ancients raid. Just 'cus it seems MoP is far, far away.

Great read though. Can't wait for the new exp.
90 Dwarf Warrior
This is about a million times better than Daelo's Post Mortem. I'm not gonna say perfect, but I am gonna say that I really miss Ghostcrawler posting often on the forums.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Solid post as always, GC.

Going off your MoP goals, I think the most important thing you can do for the hardcore crowd is give them more exclusive content like Sinestra and Rag phase 4. These were some of the best moments of the expansion for those who did them in their time because they were something new and cool to look forward to as opposed to a slightly changed version of a boss they had already facerolled repeatedly.
2 Undead Mage
Solid post as always, GC.

Going off your MoP goals, I think the most important thing you can do for the hardcore crowd is give them more exclusive content like Sinestra and Rag phase 4. These were some of the best moments of the expansion for those who did them in their time because they were something new and cool to look forward to as opposed to a slightly changed version of a boss they had already facerolled repeatedly.

yep.

also, don't start the nerfs on heroic raids so soon. this is a quite obvious reason why a lot of people "have nothing to do" in the game.
100 Human Warrior
Get players out into the world. We don’t want to totally eliminate convenience, so it’s fine to queue for some features from capital cities, but we also want players to see other players out in the world, questing, trying world bosses, engaging in PvP, and just traveling from place to place.

An Idea I had for this is to include in one of the Pandaria zones npcs who sell honor/conquest and justice/valor gear, and these vendors are very close to their opposite faction counterparts. the idea behind this is for those waiting for queues they have a very easy access to skirmishes with the other faction while not making it mandatory (similar vendors are still in the capital cities.) Of course any PvP here is server dependent but it could prove an interesting alternative to flying in circles when waiting for a queue to come up.
85 Tauren Druid
"Firelands received a lot of new art, from bosses to environments"

So Molten core skins 2.0 is new art....

If they retextured Firelands to look blue instead of red, you wouldn't be saying that. Even if some of the models (such as the Molten Giants and even Ragnaros) are based off of Molten Core units, they were ENTIRELY new models with brand new skins. Just about everything else in that raid was completely new, or at least it was a Cataclysm art re-skin.

It's pretty foolish to think Firelands is Molten Core with new textures. It's not.
03/07/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Bladesyphon
The rest also sounds very nice as well. I'm glad that Blizzard is embracing Raid Finder and not listening to the vocal minority on the forums that thing it's the scourge of all that is good in the world, and I'm also glad they're embracing the idea of three difficulties going forward. Video Games have had Easy, Normal, and Hard since the dawn of time, and there's really no reason that WoW should have taken this long to have their own as well but hey, at least Blizzard is finally doing it.

Agreed. One of the biggest problems with WoW since its inception (that is finally being fixed, thankfully) is the lack of difficulty options. Half the players think the game is too hard, half think it's too easy, and nobody's happy.

03/07/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Bladesyphon
Sure, I absolutely love the convenience of having all the quests put in the dungeon it's self, but I also kind of miss having storyline chains that lead up to the confrontation with the big bad inside the dungeon. I'm also really hopping now that Blizzard is using the LFR to give raiding more accessibility, we also see the return of Raid Quests, if for no other reason than to flesh out the storyline inside a raid and only have gold as a reward. That really was one of my biggest issues with Cataclysm and to a lesser extent Wrath.

Quests leading up to dungeons and raids make a big difference. When I finished the Storm Peaks storyline (still my favourite zone ever), I was chomping at the bit to get into HoL and give Loken his just deserts, and to get into Ulduar and free Thorim. I felt the same way with the Lich King and the ICC instances, and with Malygos and EoE. The only times I really felt that way in Cataclysm were with Abyssal Maw (I will save you, Erunak!) and, to a lesser extent, Firelands -- mostly to wipe that grin off Staghelm's face. And none of those things stirred the same passion as the Wrath examples.

I still have a soft spot for 2.4 and 3.3, but I agree with what you said here. :D

I wasn't around for 2.4, but 3.3 was why I said "possibly," not "definitely."
71 Human Priest
I can say that this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Dungeons and Raids Post Mortem. Im glad they understand some of the problems with cata
100 Troll Druid
OOOOh Ghostcrawler.... You either piss me off to no end or you get me hot and bothered. I agree with everything you said in that post. I really hope you guys achieve you're goals in Mist. It will be great to see a content heavy expansion after the revamp heavy last expansion. Good luck and don't disappoint or you'll get fired...

No pressure ;)
100 Troll Druid
03/07/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Hahns
I can say that this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Dungeons and Raids Post Mortem. Im glad they understand some of the problems with cata

For sure. Dungeons and raids PM was garbage.
90 Tauren Priest
Thank you, Dr. Street, for offering up a remark on Abyssal Maw. That was something I missed out of Mercer's earlier post-mortem and really appreciate hearing.

And for those of you saying "they didn't want to recycle Vashj'ir but did it anyway with Dragon Soul" I have to say this: with all the resources they spent on making Blackwing Descent, Bastion of Twilight, Throne of the Four Winds, and Firelands look unique and brand-new, while also remaking a huge percentage of the 1-60 content, I think that Dragon Soul's use of existing materials was an acceptable trade-off. And it's not a trade-off that can ever happen again, because while having a fight with a Dragon Aspect take place at the home of the Dragon Aspects makes sense, we're never fighting a Dragon Aspect again.

However, in Mists, the opportunity for Blizzard to re-use pre-Mists content is going to be very, very narrow.

So I'd say the lesson is "make your ultimate content of the expansion as fresh as possible."
This was a very good read.

I'm kind of sad they're getting rid of the linear questing model, but I guess a lot of you didn't like it, whereas I did.

Anyway, overall very positive about the article.

Cheers.

According to a blue post from a few weeks ago (I think it was Kaivax, not sure), what they're considering is still having linear chains but giving people a choice of multiple linear chains per zone.

That seems like a good compromise.
85 Tauren Druid
03/07/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Sweetpeaz
Some things I liked, and some I disliked. I am curious as to what the problem with linear questing is? I really enjoyed it.....the first time. The second and third times....not so much. But that should be expected regardless if the quest is linear or not.

...At the end of the game I need to be able to choose where I want to be immersed...

Though you may have ventured from that original point with that second part I quoted, it basically answers your own question.

Very linear storylines are great for single player games, but they aren't all too great in a large MMO. That being said, even the well-known developers making Single-player RPGs are trying to find ways to break the monotony of a linear story. They still have it, but you have all sorts of little side quests and objectives to to along the way.

Not even Cataclysm had those little side objectives, really. Every zone was extremely linear with a couple quests you can do just about whenever. Trying to force complete linearity in a game as massive as an MMORPG... just doesn't work. It's great to have rich linear stories, but every single zone should not be just one quest chain. The "Do these 3 quests, come back, do 3 more" model is extremely boring in my eyes. Not only that, but irresponsible use of phasing takes away from the MMORPG feel as well. They should be encouraging players to play in the same space, NOT separating them even more.

I love questing. I love the story. Cataclysm quests, however, make me sick and I dungeon, battleground, or even do ARCHAEOLOGY from 1-60 and again from 80-85. I tend to shy away from Northrend quests too because that was when it started to go down the linear road. Outland was very nonlinear and you can do just about any hub in any zone whenever you want. They all had their own independent chains. You got more quests along the way if you did them in the intended order, but you could complete a huge chunk of them before you run out. It was fun.

I will admit, I did enjoy doing most of the zones the first time because it was new and exciting, but I would have enjoyed them so much more if I had some more choices. It's a very hard thing for the quest designers to do well and I understand that.

According to a blue post from a few weeks ago (I think it was Kaivax, not sure), what they're considering is still having linear chains but giving people a choice of multiple linear chains per zone.

That seems like a good compromise.

It's a very good compromise. No quest chains at all is bad. There needs to have some guidance and a few very rich evolving storylines. Each and every zone having one track is not good.
Edited by Kodohoof on 3/7/2012 10:15 AM PST
85 Orc Warrior
Funny that except for mentioning wanting to add more battlegrounds, he didn't touch the subject of pvp. Not that I really expected him to admit how !@#$ty this expansion was for some classes in pvp.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey GC maybe you should have the team update the lampshade trees in eversong and the Bloodelf starting zone. :)

other then that. This is one of the best reads yet.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]