shadow priest or destro lock pve?

61 Worgen Death Knight
for dps.. what does more overal dps in 10m normal.. and for spefic fights all 8 fights,, can u list wich class spec will do more than the other?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Shadowpriests pretty much have the best of affliction and destruction in a single spec for ALOT less headache. Their aoe also embarasses demo most of the time and does it from range.

Shadow will outburst destro easily. Shadow will outmultidot aff. Its aoe is stronger than either and will even surpass demo except for "all aoe cd's at once" mode. Shadow has enough complexity to reward player finesse but not so much complexity you need to be an experienced player, have a bevy of addons, and extra arms/eyeballs just to play it.

Destro kinda has one fight where its strong (h.morchok) while shadow is a strong contender in most fights on both difficulties. Shadow also gets 2x the cloth loot table and has far more weapon options than locks do since they can convert spirit > hit.

Gearing up will also be easier since you can spec 2 different ways to get instaque 5 mans and/or LFR as a healer. Get used to dps wait times if you go lock. PVP you have more options as a priest. Yes affliction is very strong when played by the 99th percentile player with 99th percentile firneds in 3v3. Its also a ginormous pain in the butt just about everywhere outside that scenario. (solo'ing, duels, nonrated bgs, when played by less than 2200+mmr players, etc) I don't know what MMR you pvp at so I don't want to judge but unless you are allowed to post to AJ my guess is priest will do better for you. Your post did mention pve but since pvp is a part of the game figured I'd mention it.

To be competitive as a lock you basically need a DTR (aka legendary). PVE is balanced around the assumption you have one and without one (or a heroic lightning rod) you just can't hit cap in bis DS gear. Unless you have 9+ other people willing to commit months of farming firelands that alone would push me to priest.

In the end play what you enjoy....with guild perks and BoA gear you can level either pretty quickly and with 5 mans and LFR beginning to gear them is similarly quick. Happy hunting either way.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Shadow is pretty fun to play; some nice numbers. I've always thought dots were kinda boring, but it doesn't matter much with shadow since you spend the majority of your time face-melting.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I dont know about numbers, but I find my Warlock a lot more fun to play than a spriest
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Warlock
Out of all the classes locks have the largest spell book that has to be brought to every fight, the rotation - regardless of spec, takes sometime to not only get use to, but to do well. IMO.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I just can't get into spriesting, if you want to be an evil caster, go for the original. Be a warlock.

My 1st toon was a lock, i started in wow just before cata. I rolled this disc priest after the great afflock nerf of 4.0.3,I'm finding myself more and more drawn back to her, largely because I never see warlocks around, but also because of the good times I had dotting all in sight and watching them die.

Do it. Join the warlocks and bid farewell to any good left in you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I just can't get into spriesting, if you want to be an evil caster, go for the original. Be a warlock.

My 1st toon was a lock, i started in wow just before cata. I rolled this disc priest after the great afflock nerf of 4.0.3,I'm finding myself more and more drawn back to her, largely because I never see warlocks around, but also because of the good times I had dotting all in sight and watching them die.

Do it. Join the warlocks and bid farewell to any good left in you.

shadow priest is original
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Death Knight
thanks for the answers guys!. please keep them coming.. I want more opnions!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I consider myself a decent destruction warlock.

Warlock vs SPriest, current heroics:

Morchok Dest >= Shadow
Ultraxion Dest = Shadow

Every other fight, Shadow >> Dest.

MOP? Who knows... but if Dest's only burst will come from a 4 secs casting time soul fire...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I think both are fun. Honestly, if dps is your only concern, I would go with the lock, because you have 3 specs to goof around with. I know that I actually like that on my pure toons, when I get bored of one spec I can move to another. Most of them play largely the same, but there is at least enough variation to keep things fresh. Shadow is the priest's only dps spec. Both classes offer strong dps overall.

That being said, gearing and leveling a priest is going to be much easier, simply by virtue of spirit to hit on gear, and that priests can pop a much faster queue by healing. I do find that my warlock is a monster for questing though, and is much better low level questing than a mana hog spriest. Instance leveling is all priest.

Leveling through BGs, Disc is a monster. Shields will more than double your total life at low levels, and Penance is a pretty scary nuke, believe it or not. Warlocks just kind of suck in low level bgs. This may not be a concern of yours at all, but I figured I would throw it out there, because I have leveled many a toon through BGs, and I do find warlocks to be pretty weak overall in them. Especially when there are Disc priests/Sub rogues/Marks hunters/Prot paladins/Frost mages murdering everything in under 3 seconds.
Edited by Brianjosel on 3/5/2012 2:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Spriests, and who can resist a purple people eater :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/05/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Razgrizz
MOP? Who knows... but if Dest's only burst will come from a 4 secs casting time soul fire...

Will haste no longer mitigate this?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
i guess shadow it is
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
In the present design, Shadow is basically a more fluid Warlock with the strengths of all 3 specs wrapped into 1. The only thing Shadow can't do is Demo's stupid AoE burst that it can do every 90 seconds or so.
Edited by Bullettime on 3/10/2012 5:21 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]