Reverse Engineer

90 Dwarf Shaman
I was talking to a guild mate of mine and we were talking about all the gear that is now on the AH thanks to trans-mog. And as we talked one of the points that we hit on was that there is a lot of gear that we don't get to see on the AH that gets disenchanted or vender. And then it hit me why can't Blacksmiths reverse engineer weapons and plate/ some mail gear (same goes for Tailors and Leather workers) and learn how to craft them… or better yet give it to Engineers to reverse engineer the item then sell the patterns on the AH.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I understand your theory behind this and yes, it does sound sort of appealing.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, your plan is to turn disenchanted items (i.e essences, shards, etc) into items. I dont really see how that is any different from, say a tailor mixing bolts of cloth along with dusts to create certain items.

Additionally, if you're saying once the item is turned into dust it can be turned back. I'm not 100% sure how that would even work considering that there are thousands of items in the game how would it know what item was just disenchanted. Furthermore, would this mean that the each dust would now say what it was disenchanted from?

Don't want to seem harsh but those are just some of the issues I see arising from this idea.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
No, reverse engineering is taking a green, blue, or purple item and de constructing it into a pattern for Blacksmithing, Tailoring, or Leatherworking to learn and then have that pattern in their crafting log to pull up and use when ever to make that same item they de constructed.

There is no dust involved at all
Edited by Doomcrow on 3/4/2012 8:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Okay, that. Is. Genius.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
in theory its a great idea, but it would be incredibly overpowered.

so i go into raid on tues, kill heroic madness, gurthalac drops, i turn it into a pattern and now i can craft a 416 weapon to sell?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Well with any good thing there needs to be limits.

- make epic drops harder to make (require more mats)
- put cool downs on the deconstructed items (24 hours to 7 days)
- have bosses drop crafting items that will be rare and hard to get
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
in theory its a great idea, but it would be incredibly overpowered.

so i go into raid on tues, kill heroic madness, gurthalac drops, i turn it into a pattern and now i can craft a 416 weapon to sell?

Doesn't have to work on raid items. But this would be amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Blizzard MAKE IT HAPPEN
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I think that it would be better if it was only from droped items in the world. Not from bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Thats how they do profs in SWTOR. You make a green and reverse engineer it and have a chance to learn a blue, same with the blue and chance to learn epics.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/04/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Doomcrow
And then it hit me why can't Blacksmiths reverse engineer weapons and plate/ some mail gear (same goes for Tailors and Leather workers) and learn how to craft them… or better yet give it to Engineers to reverse engineer the item then sell the patterns on the AH.

Long time known suggestion, as old as the game is. Blizzard has never gone for it.

This one is suggested quite a lot.

Repeat suggestions are moot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
03/07/2012 06:07 AMPosted by Kybeorie
Long time known suggestion, as old as the game is. Blizzard has never gone for it.

Sure and it's reasonable to understand why. However, the op brought up the xmog feature.
Why not make the deconstructed patterns actually lead to crafted "replicas" such as those you find at Darkmoon etc etc.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I could see the reverse engineer ability possibly as a transmog tool, though not as a way to create dungeon drops on demand.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
05/01/2012 09:39 AMPosted by Savaas

Sure and it's reasonable to understand why. However, the op brought up the xmog feature.
Why not make the deconstructed patterns actually lead to crafted "replicas" such as those you find at Darkmoon etc etc.

Completely agree, with the introduction of replica armor this can really create an outlet for selling transmog goods. Possibly even a gold sink (Buying X expensive item) to make the replica(or to reverse engineer)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ah, I did not see the replica part.

Then again, they seem to want you to have to own any actual item that you are using as a transmog set.

Replicas are ONLY replicas, which Blizzard has you buying from npcs with ye old justice or honor points (from what I've seen), or with the limitation of things from the darkmoon faire.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
No one would ever be able to afford enchanting their gear ever again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Simple solution. Engineers make a dupicating machine. The dublicate has no stats, but can be used, sold traded, etc for transmoging. The original can then be safely disposed of (disenchanted). Engineers would have to buy duplicate paper off inscriptionists (make it for some good gold) and decided how many dupicates they want to keep in their inventory (20 to a stack). If they sell/use all duplicates, they must find that unequipped item to copy again.

Another thing engineers could use that would be able to make a portable reforger with a cooldown period similar to Jeeves
Edited by Tuladrin on 5/3/2012 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Another thing engineers could use that would be able to make a poetable reforger with a cooldown period similar to Jeeves

The best implementation I have heard to-date was a communications pad like the ones the etherals used in Outland, creating a hologram of a reforger.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
OK, so I'm impatient and I didn't read the whole thing... but I searched out for anyone that had this same idea of reverse engineering items (destroying the item) and turning it into a pattern for another profession.
I love this idea, and I get how some would think it's OP, but as with anything in this game, there can be restrictions. Like, only BoE can be reverse-engineered, only green and blue items, RE a BoP item makes a pattern that is transferrable, but the resultant item is BoP as well. RE has a chance of failure for blues, but still destroys the item. RE items with random enchants don't guarantee the same random enchant on the actual crafted items. (means you may have to make 3 or 12 or so of the item before getting the enchant you want).
It can be incorporated pretty fairly, I think... I would really like to see this either for engineers, or as a new profession solely for reverse engineering and pattern making. Also.. this can be evened out a bit by making certain mats a requirement for RE an item, and destroying the mats during RE. Just some of my thoughts on having this in game.
Edited by Wrgnfreemann on 8/25/2012 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
On a side note... I happened to read a little of some other posts about what would make engineers more... fun... balanced, I don't know... Something that would be nifty for Engineers would be a mole machine that (after you travel to a location and set it up) can transfer you to a particular place/area in the game.
Mages get teleport, and Warlocks get a nerfed summon, so... why not? Maybe let the engineer setup mole machines in 3 or 4 places, or a number determined by level, or engineering skill level (could work like extra hearth locations or something). Just saying... thoughts??
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]