wow monthly fee

93 Night Elf Druid
With games like star trek online and aion going free wonder if blizzard will low the $14.95 a month fee?
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Shaman
It's not as though $15 a month is breathtaking.
Reply Quote
Free-to-play with micro-transactions is a perfectly viable and profitable way to run a game, so long as you at least have a stable population, like LotRO. But it is still usually Plan B.

Blizzard is far from having to resort to Plan B.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
No because Activsion.

Also, I'm totally going to speak out of place here and say, those were originally subscription based games that failed to keep a significant amount of subscribers so they went to the free to play business model and keep a sufficient amount of people to justify keeping the servers alive.

Also, I might say something about quality of gameplay but that's subjective.
Reply Quote
98 Orc Shaman
No because Activsion.

Also, I'm totally going to speak out of place here and say, those were originally subscription based games that failed to keep a significant amount of subscribers so they went to the free to play business model and keep a sufficient amount of people to justify keeping the servers alive.

Also, I might say something about quality of gameplay but that's subjective.

Nope. Not Activision.

Blizzard's just not dumb enough to kick a cash cow in the gut and turn a thriving p2p game into f2p.

And it's not like it's hard to afford, anyway. It's an hour on the job or one mowed lawn.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
No because those games with the exception of LoTRO are flat out terrible. F2P means our game is terrible and we need to swindle you out of cash some how, basically pay to win games.
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Shaman
03/06/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Fugazzi
No because those games with the exception of LoTRO are flat out terrible.

I heard that dedicated players completed everything Star Trek Online had to offer in something like two days. I don't know if it was really two days but if there's any truth to that, it sounds pretty disappointing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
An MMO goes FTP when it is no longer profitable to charge players to play their game. Normally this means their subscription base is in the thousands. So long as you have about a million to two million players willing to shell out 15 dollars a month, your game will turn a good profit.

This has nothing to do with 'greed', it is simply common sense. If you have 10 million players, you going free to play is a loss of 150 million dollars a month. Furthermore, with 10 million players you have to run a great deal of servers, which all cost money. You'll notice that most FTP games have fewer servers than subscription based games, this is mostly because it cuts down on cost and they don't NEED those servers.

Finally, Warcraft is what you call a 'cash cow' in the game industry. As said above, WoW makes 150 million dollars. Per month. Now, lots of this goes to servers and employee pay but if you do the math the One Year deal works out to the amount of 10 dollars per month (12 months at 15 dollars per month is 180 dollars. Subtract the 60 for diablo3. Divide by 12. You get 10 dollars per month).

This means one big thing. At least 5 dollars of your subscription is profit. 5 dollars they could afford to lose without you being a drain on their profit. So. Blizzard makes A MINIMUM of 50 million dollars a month in profit. This is used to fuel new games, Titan, D3, SC2, WoW expansions.

Blizzard going FTP would've killed any chance of these games coming out. Furthermore, you'll note most companies with FTP games already have cash cows, so their MMO is not what is making the bulk of their money.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Won't happen for a long time.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Maybe once they lose a very significant section of their playerbase (that STAYS lost, not the between expansions lull), sure.

But I still doubt it.
Edited by Lellex on 3/6/2012 2:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
But.. Aion and Star Trek Online are terrible.

Well wait, I can't speak for STO, but I can speak for Aion. The game looked beautiful, and the character customization was breathtaking. I played the beta, bought the game and played it for about a month. Then I realized that after level 20, the game suddenly turned into a typical Korean grindfest and was hardly enjoyable. This seems to be the thing to do with MMO's nowadays: Exploit the first 10-20 levels as something amazing and then magically forget to create interesting end-game content. Then they bag the money they made and click the FTP button.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
Why would they? They make money off it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
03/06/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Kaliisa
How do gaming companies pull off f2p?

A number of ways.

First they need a specific number of people to be still playing or not playing their game. Fewer than a couple million, more than in the hundreds. This makes it at least worth while and gives those players who pay something, like bonuses.

After that there is usually a server merger. If you have 30 servers, they tend to go down to 10. If you have 10, usually they go down to 2 or 4. Usually they want a PVP and PVE server if there are factions.

Finally they usually lay off a ton of thier staff, people who worked on those servers, those who work on content but aren't needed for it. Slimming and trimming.

All this does is leads to a more efficient work force. Minor pay for maximum results.

Then comes the 'free' aspect of the game.

Here they limit, restrict and generally block off large sections of the game. Be it classes, a level cap, zones, special functions, character slots, bank slots, bag space, etc. Things that are considered 'ease of life' but so much so most people can't imagine playing it.

For instance. Imagine WoW... with two character slots only. No Worgen, Goblin or Death Knights.. With only two bag slots. You can only have 3 auctions up at any time. Your bank has only 3 bag slots. And you can't make guilds. To get any one of those you have to pay.

That is the core function of a FTP. You make the game playable... but restrict it so much that people will either grow frustrated and pay for some extra features or restrict just enough to make a player long for more. That is how they milk a lot of the money out of you, by having you volunteer it to get some things you'd normally get for a subscription.

Finally, most FTP games offer bonuses. The good FTP have things that don't effect the game, like XP boosts for leveling, mounts, pets, fashion slot items, etc. Bad FTP sell things like gear, stat boosts, etc. These 'pay for an edge in PVE or PVP' is what players call "Pay to win".

So basically games have three things that they use to go FTP:

1. Cut costs
2. Restrict core aspects of the game and charge for them
3. Offer perks or boosts that help you in the game but not in endgame.

People pay for those. When an extra character slot costs 5 bucks, people will snag it. Or if that sweet hat transmog costs you 1 dollar, you might be tempted to buy it. It is all about nickle and diming you. The smaller the amount you pay, the more likely you're going to shrug it off until you get your bill and "Holy crap, I spent 15 dollars on micro transactions".
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm curious, and this might be a stupid question, but it still boggles me..

How do gaming companies pull off f2p?

Of course services, but as far as I know, Blizzard has way more services than any other MMO... o.O

Have a small staff, charge people for shiny things (people will buy LITERALLY anything).
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Warrior
Mm. I certainly hope it won't, because if it did it would have a more dominating cash shop. And from my experience in playing other "free" games (all with limitations based on how much you throw at a cash shop), it really kicks a game to its final shaky breath.

I used to play City of Heroes. Shortly after it changed hands from Cryptic Studios to Paragon, I found the drastic changes that were quickly made distasteful and so I canceled. A CoHer at heart I begrudgingly came back at the promise that their changes became balanced and made up for sevenfold - shortly after they then made it "free". I was never so angry about/over a game before. The cash shops in "free" games loom over like a dark cloud signifying the game's final days and long lost pride.

Never. Again.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I don't mind cash shops that provide no real benefit to the person playing the game.

Like League of Legends. All it does is let you get the same things that everyone can get just a bit faster, or visual things that don't do anything that affect the game.
Edited by Sana on 3/6/2012 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't mind cash shops that provide no real benefit to the person playing the game.

Like League of legends. All it does is let you get the same things that everyone can get just a bit faster, or visual things that don't do anything that affect the game.

LoL was designed around a free-to-play model from almost the very outset.

A lot of the problem lies in transitioning from Pay to Play to Free to Play, and how a lot of companies make a horrible mess in doing that. See: Heroes of Newerth.
Edited by Lellex on 3/6/2012 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]