Using SimCraft to find Stat Weights

85 Dwarf Paladin
Hey all, I'm copying this over from the Paladin forums since this seems more dps general stuff.

So I'm trying to get my stat weights to plug them into reforgelite to get reforges done in game. I know I have no chants/gems/reforges I'm gonna work on that once I figure this SimCraft stuff out.

For example I know the stat priority is: Hit > Exp > Mastery > Crit > Haste or Hit > Exp > Mastery > Haste > Crit, but what are the actual "weights?" (I took these priorities from Elitist Jerks).

Before you read on just know Gyazo is no phishy link just a screenshot program that does instant uploading.

Is the below right??

Here's what I got the first time: http://gyazo.com/975a7077ad82333a00042a6b3cc47134

Screenshots of other options if you need to refer to:
Globals - http://gyazo.com/23d09c4884f447d623930794f332b663
Buffs - http://gyazo.com/4deddda8d1627dd655f4fc9750736eba
Debuffs - http://gyazo.com/aa2f2b974e6a72ef5f3e9c7878ab9e6a
Scaling - http://gyazo.com/ba8fed28c676486d756149846ff970d8

Well it put a 4 on my hit, and I'm not hit capped, understandable lol, I'm learning!

Once I get this all working these will be my own official stat weights right?

These numbers will constantly change with my gear right, that's why EJ doesn't have a set number for stat weights?

Thanks.
Edited by Icytitan on 3/4/2012 6:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You don't need to scale strength, agility or attack power because you can't reforge those. I would also increase the iterations to 25000, or, if you want to double the time it takes with a tiny increase in accuracy, 50000.

03/04/2012 06:50 PMPosted by Icytitan
These numbers will constantly change with my gear right, that's why EJ doesn't have a set number for stat weights?

Yep. Any change in your gear will change your stat weights to some degree. Things like tier bonuses and trinkets tend to change them the most.
Edited by Burial on 3/4/2012 7:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
03/04/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Burial
You don't need to scale strength, agility or attack power because you can't reforge those.

You may not be able to reforge them, but you can definetly get gear that has differing levels of Strength. For instance Trinkets could have a significant amount of strength or no strength at all. It helps to know what strength is worth compared to other stats so that you can evaluate upgrades.

That said:

For Player skill, use Elite. Use low world lag unless you have bad lag. I run at 18 ms, and the only time I have issues with lag is when I try to use my cell phone as a hotspot to play wow. Moderate lag is from 300 to 500 ms and heavy lag is 800 to 1000 ms, it's basically what the wow client considers low, medium, and high lag. Allowing for a large range in times allows for a more normalized expected DPS, but if you know that a fight is taking your team exactly 5 minutes to complete, then set the sim for 300 seconds and 0% vary length. You'll see significant changes to your DPS based on time alone when you have less time used while your DPS cooldowns are not active, that's why variance helps to normalize your DPS.

The Sim will give you different results every time you run, that's because it simulates your fight and is not a straight mathematical model that's solved for, which is what Rawr does to determine stat weights.

Another thing, not every fight is a patchwerk fight, you can use Ultraxion which simulates a complete 366 second Ultraxion fight with no variation allowed (it throws in the fading lights and Twilight effects that cause you to use Heroic Will on normal mode).

For Buffs: Use the ones your group has. If your group uses Lust, then use Lust as one of your buffs. It's fine if your group doesn't, but it's a huges DPS increase that helps devalue high levels of haste in the Sim.

My advice. Go to the help tab, go down to Textual configuration interface, select the characters section and read about different ways to input characters using the override tab, such as my favorite:
guild=indignant,region=us,server=stormrage

If your guild/server have spaces, put the name in quotes and it works fine, without quotes it gives you errors if the name has spaces. This little overide line will pull out of the armory every member of your guild and sim their characters using the gear shown on their current armory page and uses their current spec (a down fall if you sim a guildie who logs out wearing their fishing gear while in their PvP spec...)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Okay will try these changes when I get home, thanks.

When I save my stats page (the final result page after simming) the file it saves to think it's save.html, just keeps updating right?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
It overwrites the old save.html file, not updates....
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Okay and:

You may not be able to reforge them, but you can definetly get gear that has differing levels of Strength. For instance Trinkets could have a significant amount of strength or no strength at all. It helps to know what strength is worth compared to other stats so that you can evaluate upgrades.

So I should sim strength?
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Some places to start:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110342-retribution_concordance_4_3_voice_dps/#Stat_Weights

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t110342-retribution_concordance_4_3_voice_dps/p24/#post1859320

http://www.almost1337.com/Redcape/ <--updated for 4.3.2, as far as I know.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Also if you have a dual core or quad core increase the number of threads in the options to 2 or 4. It'll reduce the amount of time the sim takes.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Wouldn't Redcape's stat weights not be ideal for me since I am not hit capped, wouldn't that affect calculations etc.? Or does reforgelite take that into account and prioritize uncapped stats?

Should I use Redcape's weights or my own in SimCraft?
Edited by Icytitan on 3/5/2012 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Wouldn't Redcape's stat weights not be ideal for me since I am not hit capped, wouldn't that affect calculations etc.? Or does reforgelite take that into account and prioritize uncapped stats?

Should I use Redcape's weights or my own in SimCraft?

Generally speaking, any reforge program or site you use will (more than likely) reforge stats to get you Hit/Expertise capped. That generally should be your priority -- getting hit / expertise capped.
Edited by Emmi on 3/5/2012 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Okay, so from now and on, should I just use Redcape's stat weights and SimCraft exclusively for simming my DPS?

And 1 last thing, you said any program will try to get me hit capped first, you are right, reforgelite does this. If I were to use Redcape's weights, I use them after I get hit capped right?
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Basically. Once you get capped with Hit/Expertise, their value goes to 0, and then you can concentrate on your other stats.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Using simcraft is fine but you have to understand the software and how it interprets things. IE you should scale str, AP, hit, and expertise (along w' crit, mastery, haste). However you are theoretically smart enough to know to stop at the cap or near to the cap as you can get right?

Simcraft gives you a relative idea of how much you trade by going under those caps compared to other stats. Str, as a primary stat, is typically your strongest so you should sim/scale it so you understand how good other secondary stats are in relation to Str. Make sense yet?

I wouldn't sim under 10K iterations just for consistency. Other than that just make sure your buffs tab reflects the raid comp you run. You can use rawr or chardev to build gear setups or tweak on your theoretical setup you import into simcraft.

Hope this helps...
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
So am I safe to use Redcape's weights after hit cap or make my own in simcraft?

edit: It does Werst, thanks, I'm getting into the whole DPS Theorycrafting shenanigans.
Edited by Icytitan on 3/6/2012 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Use your own from SimC. Redcape's weights are quite old now.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Okay thanks. Figured they were old seeing the post date on EJ.

Also, I'm not sure my question was answered in-directly or something but should I sim core stats (str)?

edit: Will stat weights try to maintain hit cap/exp cap? For example, I am barely at the cap 8.03%, if I use new stat weights that I make in SimCraft will they just get rid of all hit thinking that my char has tons of it or will it be smart and try to keep some of it?
Edited by Icytitan on 3/7/2012 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Anyone?
Edited by Icytitan on 3/8/2012 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
It depends on the tool you use. wowreforge.com, for example, ensures you're hit and expertise capped. More naive tools that look at scale factors alone may prioritize other stats over hit, when that's almost always a bad decision.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You don't need to scale strength, agility or attack power because you can't reforge those. I would also increase the iterations to 25000, or, if you want to double the time it takes with a tiny increase in accuracy, 50000.

Strength would probably be worth while, for gemming purposes (depending on the spec, not sure), or ilvl comparisons. Agi and AP are worthless though.

03/06/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Icytitan
Will stat weights try to maintain hit cap/exp cap? For example, I am barely at the cap 8.03%, if I use new stat weights that I make in SimCraft will they just get rid of all hit thinking that my char has tons of it or will it be smart and try to keep some of it?

only if you tell it to. You need to tell it "hit is worth this much before cap, this is the cap, and this is what its' worth after cap".

Using wowreforge as an example (http://www.wowreforge.com), once you load your toon, you'll see spots for stat weights, as well as "cap 1, cap 2, cap 3". That's how you would tell it how exactly you want it to cap. It has defaults, but you should always verify that they're accurate.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Okay so I will scale/sim strength, in simcraft.

What do stat weights represent? I know one value say 5 would weigh more than 4 but out of what value? 100 or 10?
Edited by Icytitan on 3/8/2012 6:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]