Latency from Australia

23 Tauren Warrior
Should latency effect PVE gameplay? Been getting between 600ms - 2500ms. Was getting around 250ms before last Tuesday.

Almost unplayable...boooo.

should I try tanking for fun?
Reply Quote
23 Tauren Warrior
Just had a great 2 hours playing rift - issue free. :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I'm in NZ and I don't lag that often but I have difficulty with mechanics that require precise timing.

Ultraxion being the problem, when I have fading light, I use heroic will with 3 seconds left on the timer, then I die. With hour of twilight, I wait till he is 2 seconds into casting and use heroic will... dead.

I have experimented with the timing to see if I can hit that sweet spot but it seems to vary, it's painful.. and embarrasing.

I remember a similar issue with the dance boss in nax where you literally had to stand in the green stuff to survive because latency was bad.
Reply Quote
97 Tauren Warrior
I live in Tasmania, and I do not have any latency problems, I can constantly have 132-190ms for world and around 180 for Home, and this is constant. But I barely notice it and I'm able to do everything perfectly fine, sure the timing may be tiniest bit out, but like I said I barely notice it
Reply Quote
23 Tauren Warrior
After yesterday evenings hassle with disconnects / poor latency (despite reboots), I went and played RIFT with no latency issues etc...

Anyhow, looking forward to trying to play WoW tonight maybe. If not, off to RIFT again - starting to get into it now. :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
your latency did not seem to be a widespread problem so maybe, just maybe it may be something on your end?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
will in wow i have 289ms butt in Star Wars - The Old Republic i have 68ms Star Wars - The Old Republic have got a servers SYDNEY, Australia – March 1st and wow have not done that wow whats the go
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
03/05/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Dahovikain
I live in Tasmania, and I do not have any latency problems, I can constantly have 132-190ms for world and around 180 for Home, and this is constant. But I barely notice it and I'm able to do everything perfectly fine, sure the timing may be tiniest bit out, but like I said I barely notice it

oo a fellow Tasweigan.

Try leatrix latency fix. Might help you guys. Else get a better ISP. I know dodo and a few others think wow is P2P traffic thus they 'throttle it' even though it has nothing in your contract about being able to do so. They are schemy !@#$%^-s that do everything they can to lower their bandwidth if you're considered a high usage user. Even on unlimited accounts.

Usually have to ring them and rage at them to fix it.
Reply Quote
Im assuming from his/her ping the orginal poster has a fixed line connection as Im not sure if Leatrix would help those with wireless internet even low bandwith as it might just clog it up.

Could anyone on wirelss/low bandwith comment on this?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Melbourne here, bigpond ultimate cable. 170ms home and world solid. No disconnects.
If you want quality connection go with telstra (as much as I don't like them). They don't throttle you and provide best routes to the us. None of this routed through Singapore !@#$.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
During early ICC prog my internet went from good to unplayable, to the point where I had to sit out of the raids... I invested in LowerPing and never looked back - AMAZING service for poorly routed connections.

Recently though my ISP was bought by iiNet and they must have changed the routing because now I get around 200ms with no tunnel.

TLDR - get LowerPing.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
170ms and steady for near all the time on bigpond cable in melb.. No problems with WoW in years tbh, only problem was on my end.

Go play Rift some more i guess
Reply Quote
66 Blood Elf Hunter
I get 180-200ms ping 90% of the time.

Bigpond Sydney ftw :D
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
To fix my disconnect issues, I had to follow something very similar to this:

For network cards that support “Checksum Offloading”: Such as; Intel Pro 100 series, Marvell Yukon, Broadcom, 3com CNet, and Nvidia nForce, you may need to disable it to resolve this issue.

1. Goto “Start” > “Control Panel”.
2. Double click to open “Network Connections”.
3. Right click on your network adapter and go to properties.
4. Click on “Configure” and go to the “Advanced” tab.
5. Select “Checksum Offload” and choose disable in the window to the right. (I personally did this for all 3 Checksum entries)
6. Click on Ok

Source: http://www.metamusing.net/weblog/2006/01/03/how-to-fix-constant-disconnects-when-turning-in-quests-in-world-of-warcraft/

I originally got the info from another post on the WoW forums, but I could not find that link anymore sorry.

However, these basic steps made a massive difference to my WoW stability. Like you I had no issues ever in any other game except WoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]