How many Xpacs will WoW make it to?

90 Night Elf Hunter
With MoP on the horizon as WoW's 4th expansion... how many more do you think are still in the works? how many more are you going to play through? and what are your ideas on possible next expansion themes and settings?

GO!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
The devs stated that they intended wow to have a 10 year life expectancy.

So by that logic, the game will be loosing alot of support towards the end of the 5th xpac.

Most likely, Wow will have 2-3 more xpacs of "life" before its sub numbers plummet to a number low enough that the game is no longer relevant.

The devs will continue to host wow for years to come. The original EQ is still supported. Diablo 1 is still getting updates, even though it has been 15 years since its release.

Wow will most likely shut down, servers and all, by 2030-2035, but by then people will be rocking phones that can multibox 40 wow accounts and will have much bigger and better mmos to play
Edited by Zim on 3/7/2012 8:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
There will be about 6 expansions total before they stop updating WoW in favor of Titan.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

So by that logic, the game will be loosing alot of support towards the end of the 5th xpac.

Most likely, Wow will have 2-3 more xpacs of "life" before its sub numbers plummet to a number low enough that the game is no longer relevant.

thank you for the info! do you think that titan will be released to replace wow? or still be enjoyed along side wow for a time?
Reply Quote
84 Orc Death Knight
I don't want to imagine life without WoW! *cries, clutching computer monitor*

We still got a few more expansions to go, though. A good few.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd imagine they've already got the next expansion underway, at least on paper. With the recent subscriber drop Mists has a bit more pressure on it than previous expansions. Not only does it need to be good, it needs to put a plug on the gaping hole that people have been escaping through lately. I know subscriptions are still high, but with this level of decrease it's undeniably a major concern, and the best way to fix it is with a expansion. Time will tell whether or not it succeeds, I hope it does though.

As for me personally, i'm taking a break soon until we start getting some more stuff put in game. It's not a dramatic "I quit", but i'll just slip away and sneak back in when things start picking up. Although there's a few games i've got my eye on that are due for release soon, and if MoP is another Cataclysm, I may very well move on to them. Again, i'm not psychic, but Mists needs to be something special.

Next expansion is anyone's guess, I wouldn't have picked Pandas, so who knows where they will take this ride in the coming years.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
WoW may stay alive, even after the next big thing Blizz has is released, however it will be at the point it would no longer be updated with newer content. Not 100% sure, but I imagine even with a reduced subscription cost, WoW will still be profitable while only paying to keep the servers running while the content designers are busy with other things.
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Warrior
We've only just begun.............to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.........
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

thank you for the info! do you think that titan will be released to replace wow? or still be enjoyed along side wow for a time?

Wow was developed by a team of very talented devs.
Today, those devs have moved on and are currently developing GW2 (One of the most anticipated games since its announcement 5 years ago)
The devs that have stayed with blizzard are now working on Titan, and they have hired new coders for Wow

Most likely, Wow will get its last major content patch in the form of a "Sargas raid." by the end of a 6th xpac. He is technically the strongest being in all the lore, stronger than the titans, and can be blamed for almost everything bad that has happened in wow.

After this xpac, they will continue to make more, no doubt, but the content patches will no longer be as elaborate and big. This is assuming that wow dies in popularity by then
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
03/07/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Zim

No they did not. In fact, they said that there is no reason WoW can't go well beyond level 100.

Edit:
Wow was developed by a team of very talented devs.
Today, those devs have moved on and are currently developing GW2 (One of the most anticipated games since its announcement 5 years ago)

Um, no. Many of the Vanilla and TBC devs still work on WoW. The lead dev, Tom Chilton, was one of three leads on TBC.
Edited by Solaru on 3/7/2012 8:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

No they did not. In fact, they said that there is no reason WoW can't go well beyond level 100.

Yes they have... I remember posts from the higher ups in 2006 stating that wow was built on a 10 year cycle.

Its no surprise that Titan is being developed around this time. They cannot run off one game forever.

Im not saying they will pull the plug at level 100, I am saying they will slowly, but surely, pull support from the game at that point.
Edited by Zim on 3/7/2012 8:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
03/07/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Zim
Yes they have... I remember posts from the higher ups in 2006 stating that wow was built on a 10 year cycle.

Um...well that has changed in the last 6 years and 6+ million subs since then.

Edit:
03/07/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Zim
They cannot run off one game forever.

EQ - 12 years old...still profitable and making x-pacs. (500k max subs)
UO - 14 years old...Might have finally stoped making new content. (250k max subs)
Meridian 59 - 16 years old...still live servers.
Edited by Solaru on 3/7/2012 8:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

Proof please?

Unless the game stops bleeding subs from now until 2015, they will start phasing support out and move on to other projects. The game will still be supported until like 2030 or so however, look at EQ atm
Edited by Zim on 3/7/2012 8:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
03/07/2012 08:09 PMPosted by Solaru

More reason to cut off WoW in favor of something else.

Technology advanced quite a bit as well, and a 100% graphics overhaul of WoW is a bit out of the question, because it won't guarantee a massive return of players like creating a whole new game with better graphics would, and the cost and time of doing so, for something this far along, would be wasteful.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

At this point Blizzs only objective is too keep you playing till THEY come up with the WoW killer.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
that was my next question... we all hit lvl 100.... whats next?!? 105? 110? or maybe a revaluing of lvls like a "prestige" or "ascension" like in original gw
Reply Quote
48 Night Elf Warrior
Diablo2....... lets all bow in reverance... That game is the reason I even know about WoW.
tried others but they did not have the feel to hold my attention as much as Blizzard games have.

Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

Edit:
They cannot run off one game forever.

EQ - 12 years old...still profitable and making x-pacs. (500k max subs)
UO - 14 years old...Might have finally stoped making new content. (250k max subs)
Meridian 59 - 16 years old...still live servers.

Once again, your missing the point. Im agreeing with you. They will support the game for like 20+ more years. But the updates will not be as rapid. They might adopt EQ's content twice a year model. They will pull support as more and more people leave for the next big thing. They are trying to stall this process while they are creating a whole new game for another 10 year cycle
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
I'll give it 1-2 more after MoP.

You know when Titan comes out WoW will take a dive
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
03/07/2012 08:11 PMPosted by Zim
Proof please?

Well the best I could come up with in a timely manner at least shows plans for a 5th x-pac.

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/blizzard-product-slate-leaked.jpg

03/07/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Farkel
At this point Blizzs only objective is too keep you playing till THEY come up with the WoW killer.
Why would anyone kill a successful product?...See "New Coke" and how well that works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]