Any real reason to keep guild exp cap limit?

87 Blood Elf Paladin
I understand the reasoning in the beginning. But i think most of the longstanding guilds are already 25, and new guilds really have a big recruitment disadvantage not being 25.

Then there are small guilds like mine, we raid 2 nights a week. On those 2 nights we cap very quickly that day but the rest of the week we never hit the cap. The whole concept of not requiring players to have to play every day (the changes to dungeon vp distributions being one example) implies that blizz wants people to play as they wish. However, the guild exp cap defies that model.
Reply Quote
There are other ways to reach cap besides raiding. Run dungeons together, dailys together etc.

Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
^ There's also arena, rated battelgrounds.

How we are leveling the guild is raiding weekly and doing dungeons as often as we can each to hit the daily XP cap for the guild. If you can't play daily, at least do the 7 each week. Even leveling toons together and doing dungeons as a guild helps too :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I hear your pain about not hitting cap on non raid nights. It may be smarter for Blizzard to have weekly exp caps rather than daily ones for this kind of reasoning. But as the posters above have mentioned, run dungeons/BGs/etc. Perks are great because they aren't the easiest thing to get.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
We're tired of running the new dungeons. Honestly, i thought blizzards intention wasn't to make players 'grind' every day. Removing the cap wouldn't really allow us to level at a hugely faster pace. We'd get more exp on the days we raid and the rest of the week would be no different than it is now with us usually only getting 50% of the cap.

We do understand that there's plenty of other ways to reach the cap, but they all require a time commitment or for us to play aspects of the game that we don't really enjoy (pvp). I'm just having a hard time seeing a logical reason for the continued cap at this stage of the game.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
tyrnyx suggestion of making it a weekly cap seems reasonable and more in line with blizz's current philosophy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I believe before it was a weekly cap and then they changed it to daily at one point.

If you're tired of running the same old stuff, like I said run other toons with guildmates. Even level up some toons together :D Some guildies and myself took part in the scroll (so 3 of us had brand new level 80s) and after learning the ins and outs of our new toons we began running dungeons together. Don't have to grind for hours on end, just set some time aside for a dungeon or two. We got our guild at level 10 and we're almost at 12 already (got it last week). I wouldn't stress too much about the guild level and trying to hit the cap every day, sure it'd be nice to have a level 25 guild but don't burn yourself out trying to get there.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Thanks, i'm not stressing it really. We just hit 15 couple days ago and we'll eventually get there. I just would like credit for the days we do put in the majority of our guild activity is all.

One day we will hit 25 and like the rest of the WoW community we'll care less about the woes of the lesser! :) i'm joking of course.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/15/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Tagmonkey
It's something that you're supposed to work towards, it shouldn't happen overnight.

I don't think anyone is asking for it to happen overnight. We'd just like to hit 25 sometime before MoP ends and the next new expansion hits.

We've been patiently plugging away at it since Cata dropped. This guild has been around since BC and has had its ups and downs of players coming and going. The usual lulls in activity almost all guilds run into at some point.

But since Cata, the 'lull' has been more 'dead'. Nearly all our once active members have stopped logging on and just disappeared completely. Basically, it's just us five core family members now, but because of RL things like work and school, it's usually just me by myself.

There's not enough members on consistently at any one time to form a guild group for running dungeons, much less anything else, and no one wants to PvP in max level BG's.

Just me running dailies, plus leveling alts on my second account.

Trust me, running dailies on 10+ alts every day, week after week, by yourself is not in any way an efficient or fun method of leveling a guild. If I truly push it, I get 2% progress, but usually it's about 0.5 - 1% before I give up on dailies and just go do something else less tedious.

Guess what I'm getting at is that some of us have been truly working our tails off this entire expansion and it's reaching that stagnant point where it does feel like we'll never make it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The system definitely needs a slight overhaul. <Insomnia> had the same problem, quickly hitting cap halfway through raid nights and having the rest be wasted, not hitting cap on off nights. as a smaller 10 man guild it took us months to finally hit level 23. And that was in 4.0/4.1, I can't imagine trying to do that this late in the expansion. God help you if you lose somebody and have to recruit as a level 10 guild right now, it's bad enough for a level 25

The issue is really that the perks are too awesome. They encourage a playstyle that might not be your particualr playstyle just to get them, and instead of feeling like neat bonuses they feel like key abilities your missing when you don't have them (especially mass rez). The first thing I do when I roll an alt on a new server is find a lvl 25 super guild that recruits anybody. It's not about finding a guild that fits your personality anymore, it's about finding one that is already max level. And then once you hit cap, you're encouraged to stay not because you necessarily like it there, but the perks make it so much easier to gear out with bonus honor/Justice and also because you'll lose all your reputation if you change.

My raiding guild from Wrath died mid T11, with most people quitting or transferring off our small server. We went from never ever having less than a half dozen people on even in the dead of night to rarely more than 2 or 3 on at peak hours. A friend tried for weeks to get me to join my current 10 man raiding guild. But they were still only lvl 13 and I was halfway through revered with the old guild. I stayed on not because it was a good place to be, but because the cost of changing was so damn high, even thought the new guild was a much MUCH better fit for both my playstyle and my personality. If it was happening this late in the expansion? I doubt I could bring myself to change again, I'm too entrenched.

I understand fully that they don't want guilds to powerlevel overnight and they wanted to stem guild hopping, but the current implementation has turned what should be a group of like minded friends and colleagues into a purely mechanical, rewards based system that keeps you in guilds that don't necessarily match your interests because of very real, tangible bonuses. To solve the problem of some people guild-hopping, now those that would LIKE to go to a better place for the right reasons are incentivized to stay where they are for the wrong reasons, and people that are in the place they should be are incentivized to go somewhere they might not enjoy as much just for the bonus perks.
Edited by Elladrion on 3/16/2012 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The cap should just be moved to only apply to experience after guild level 25. Once they add new guild levels and perks in an expansion, those limits would return.

After a certain point the limit, designed to keep realms' guild level progression close at the start of the expansion, doesn't apply anymore.
Edited by Opheron on 3/16/2012 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, on the recruitment side of things for a small guild such as yours, make sure you can down stuff easily. A new level 1 to 3 guild that can go 3/8 heroic will pick up someone faster than a level 20 guild that is still having trouble on the first 4 bosses in normal mode.

As for leveling, get some 2v2's going. That's how we are leveling our guild. Arenas give a TON of experience, and shouldn't be passed over. They are also more fun than grinding out heroics, especially if you add it into the mix of heroics, raids, dailies, and leveling alts.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
As a non level 85'er and someone who's guild is VERY small.
There's almost no way I can hit 25. I wish there was a system in place where two people or even solo could get the guild moving. because there are maybe couples that really only play with each other, or parents playing with their child.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Forgot to mention, one thing I have seen done on several servers is leveling incentives. It brings in people into the guild and rewards them for playing/leveling up the guild. Not sure it'd be something I'd do if I owned a guild, but it's possible.

Usually people are given gold or some sort of a prize weekly for being the top contributor and then when the guild dings the person that is top gets more gold or another prize. I've seen it done in other guilds that leveled pretty fast, but to me with offering higher incentives you don't really have that "tight knit" member base.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There's almost no way I can hit 25. I wish there was a system in place where two people or even solo could get the guild moving. because there are maybe couples that really only play with each other, or parents playing with their child.

I can not agree more. We have had our guild from the start with just family in it that has gotten us to level 17. the only way we can level is by questing to give us experience, and sometimes if we are lucky to have 3 players to do the instance runs to level our guild. it seems like Blizzard could do something for us small guilds like this perhaps of like a sliding scale compared to the bigger guilds, and a way to determine if this works is the Characters have to at least be revered or even exalted to gain that experience of leveling our guild to level 25. I am not leaving my guild, but I am so tired and burnt out trying to achieve getting the guild to level 25 with less then 10 people (Characters) being played trying to level it. Also we have never had more then 6 players on at one time. Come on Blizzard, do something to help us small/family guilds, we don't want to throw away what we have worked so hard for (been with my small guild since at least 9/2010), but unable to achieve with the current situation.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Here here!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

I could not agree more. My wife and I play and we have a revolving have 2-3 more people in our guild and we have tried to up our lvl but to no success. We can't compete against a high lvl guild because of the: lvl 18 For Great Justice, lvl 19 Honorable Mention, lvl 23 Bountiful Bags; just to name a few. so it would be nice if the amount of xp earned per character was a present based on how many characters where in the guild. For example if you have 2 characters in your guild of 10 each one would do bring in the same amount of xp as 10 characters in a guild of 100. The 100 guild would still lvl faster because of the opportunity to have the 10 characters on for longer time overall.
Edited by Nihaõ on 7/13/2012 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My guild has existed since classic's early days; I've been in it since late-BC. We only recently hit lvl 17, and that's with me fighting to get people to do dungeons together, or even just play. We have a lot of alts and super-casual players, due to it being a very old RP guild (and some of the oldest players still have a conception that they can't participate in some things). It's pretty small; only 45 characters, and about a dozen of those are alts.

We just did a big plotline to revive and refocus the guild concept, and I'm going to try and fight to rework things in MoP, make it a little more open, and see about leveling more. I may end up guild leader, which is fine (especially since our current GL is burnt out, busy IRL and about to get busier since they learned kid #4 is coming!).

Many of my alts are in our sister guild that we raid with, and they are lvl 25. My raiding mains are in the RP guild. None of us really worry too much about it. Would it be nice to have the perks and rewards on my mains? Sure. But my guild serves a strong purpose on my server that many of the RPers are familiar with and look to; we fill a niche people enjoy.

In the end, my guild's climate is the more important thing to me--though I do think small, and niche, guilds are at a severe disadvantage for the leveling and achievements system, and I really wish some sort of scale was in place. Or even just a temp boost for the end-of-expac lull, to get people to play and do guild things before MoP for that last push.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]