World of Warcraft Movie

86 Orc Death Knight
Checking on IMDB, there haven't been any updates in quite some time, soo.....Do you think Blizzard has sc@@*#d it or what?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Probably. Blizzard themselves aren't a movie studio. Movie studios actually do this, buy rights to something and then bury it just so their competitors can't make the movie.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
No, they said at like Blizzcon 2011 that they had recently spoken to Raimi about the movie and it is still on his agenda. The problem is that he is also working on a Wizard of Oz prequel that is supposed to come out next year. After that movie is done, he will probably get straight to completing the WoW movie.
Reply Quote
97 Undead Warlock
Raimi decided to bump back the project and took two movies ahead of doing it. Doesn't sound like he's really got his heart into doing it.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
WoW needs to be Oscar quality movie. It has all the potential because of its rich lore and fascinating world. No offense to the man, but do you really think Sam Raimi is capable of that? If anybody it should be James Cameron and Peter Jackson directing. At minimum.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
It's still on the radar. We just don't have any current updates to provide.
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
Didn't Rami lay out his plans for the next three years or something and the Warcraft movie wasn't even on it?

Probably will get scrapped in the future since it hasn't even really been worked on much at this point.
Reply Quote
03/15/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Nethaera

Like in "being on a top shelf somewhere covered with a thick layer of dust"?

Is there anyone who is actually working on this project?

Is there anything that looks like a rough draft at all, even if it is a collection of used napkins with some notes and all?
Edited by Douka on 3/15/2012 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest

Is there anything that looks like a rough draft at all, even if it is a collection of used napkins with some notes and all?

Honestly, I don't think a PR person would really reveal anything. If it was scrapped, I doubt they would say it at this point to just compound all the bad news that has come out over the last few months (Sub lose, Blizzcon cancelled, 600 lay-offs). We may hear about it being cancelled a while from now.
Reply Quote

Honestly, I don't think a PR person would really reveal anything. If it was scrapped, I doubt they would say it at this point to just compound all the bad news that has come out over the last few months (Sub lose, Blizzcon cancelled, 600 lay-offs). We may hear about it being cancelled a while from now.

Cancelled??? What better advertizing for the game and the entire franchise than making a movie about it so good that only Star Wars IV can rival it in blowing people's minds first time they see it?
Reply Quote
03/15/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Hixson
WoW needs to be Oscar quality movie. It has all the potential because of its rich lore and fascinating world. No offense to the man, but do you really think Sam Raimi is capable of that? If anybody it should be James Cameron and Peter Jackson directing. At minimum.

Peter Jackson is Overrated. Cameron is too old and I don't think he gives rat !@#$ about the Warcraft universe.
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
03/15/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Douka
Cancelled??? What better advertizing for the game and the entire franchise than making a movie about it so good that only Star Wars IV can rival it in blowing people's minds first time they see it?

It just doesn't seem like, at this point, when the movie isn't even being worked on that it's just going to be cancelled. It would be great advertising, but I just don't see them going through with it at this point because IF it was ever made it it would be years from now and WoW will probably not be as big as it is now.
Reply Quote
43 Night Elf Hunter

You know the old saying, strike while the iron is hot?

Just saying...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Hopefully not on the radar like the dance studios you guys never came through with but still say you haven't abandoned.....
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Still cant work out why they havent taken the Arthas script and made it into 3 parts. Arthas is one of Wows most iconic figures. The campaign throught war 3 and the story in wrath would make a great film, considdering its got the love aspect, betrayal, war and more. If there current plans go ahead with making some new random hero taking place 2 years after the Hyjal invasion( think it was 2 years) it will cause friction between factions of fans, as from what ive read it takes place from an Alliance perspective. This movie needs to be Neutral or tell the story from 2 perspectives, so that both sides have there good and bad moments.
This also brings the point of putting this character into the game aswell as putting the movies lore into the game, which could lead to problems, but it is Blizz lore so they can change it when they want, but just think something strong like the Arthas novel would be a far greater story.

This movie was announced a very long time ago, fans have been waiting too long and each year it gets put back fans expectations grow more and more. This Movie better be epic on a scale that the LOTR trilogy was or it will hurt the game until the movie is remade if ever.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Keyword Fans:

Everyone who plays or ever played WoW, is not nearly enough to make a decent quality movie. Even less so a top quality movie. 100+ Mio dough on production costs gotta come back in, and then some. So don't be dreaming, get off the fan horse. There won't be a movie for us/you. If at all, it's a movie for a broad range of genre fans and movie lovers. The entire WoW community alone would make the movie a bust, even if everyone would go and see the movie during opening week.

The first info about a WoW movie came a long time ago, that is true. But the Blizzcon announcement that included Raimi came much later. Enthusiasm alone doesn't make a movie either. Additionally, the movie industry doesn't sleep. There's lots of franchise out there, and a movie released at the wrong time won't make the big bucks it is intended to make.
Would I wanna compete with the Tolkien franchise? Certainly not.
Would I wanna compete with the Potter franchise? Certainly not.
Just to name a couple examples...

There seems room coming up now for a big movie within the genre, but maybe other studios have big stuff in the works as well.

Promising movies have been on the radar before. But the process behind seems difficult, and challenging. I just need to think of the Elric Movie. Epic fantasy series. Awesome books. The author heavily involved in the planning stages of the movie and what not. In the end, after years, he thrown in the towel.

Would I like to see a WoW movie? Of course... Yet I do have little hope that it will ever happen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]