GeForce vs. Amd

85 Night Elf Death Knight
I currently run two 4890's in crossfire and was looking to upgrade, and was wondering if perhaps, at the same time, I should move to an nvidia card. I've heard that certain games (wow included) are optimized for the geForce, but can anyone tell me what the concrete differences are (I.E. is it just framerates or are there visual differences as well)? Also, as an upgrade, I'm looking at the gigaByte geForce 570 as a single-card solution. Thoughts?
Edited by Dischorde on 3/15/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Its in my belief that nvidia does play wow a fair bit better than amd. Benchmarks are very very hard to do properly because of all of the variables, but i can say ive owned both and in my mind nvidia is superior.

Funny this thread is on the first page, i just started a challenge to amd users to come on my server and compare FPS with me, make sure to follow that if anyone responds!
Reply Quote
I saw that, but what I'm looking for is the qualitative differences. Does an AMD card LOOK any different than an NVidia card, or is it just a matter of comparable cards squeezing out more or less frames?
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Image quality is the same accross the board imo, even from low end cards (gt 240 for example) to high end. Its all about the frame rates.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Are you not happy with the way your wow looks? Just remember crossfire profiles are a relatively recent addition to wow, and the current crossfire drivers from AMD might not be absolutely perfect for an older set of cards as you have.

If you arent happy, first thing i would do is disabling one of them and see how it looks. A single 4890 is still a fairly powerful card (in the range of a gtx 460 iirc).
Reply Quote
It's mainly about the stuttering issue (crossfire and SLI both have microstuttering, which I do notice on occasion) and the desire to move to a single-card solution. I have a crossfire-only motherboard, so this is the first opportunity I've had to change to an NVidia card, and was wondering if there was any reason I should, given that AMD's cards typically enjoy a better $/fps ratio.

I could drop it down to a single 4890, but I'd be dropping into the 20's in intense gameplay, and I don't like to drop that low. Plus the fans on my cards are going bad, and though they still run fairly cool they sound like a lawnmower.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
You need to understand WoW is far more CPU dependent than GPU, what CPU are you running?

I will also note, yes those cards run very hot and loud like you said lol. But one of the main benefits you could gain going to a single card solution is benefitting from the DX11 codepath (which also requires windows 7). Going from dx9 to dx11 gave me in the range of 15-20 FPS right there.

But again, none of that matters if you are running an AMD cpu.
Reply Quote
PC:
i7 920 (stock clock)
6g RAM (triple-channel)
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (WoW install on this)
XFX 4890 x2 Crossfired
Win7 Home

I'm also running ME3 on this machine (with no problems thans to its UE3 base). I didn't realize that DX11 could give me a framerate boost. And why would an AMD Processor not see a boost from DX11?
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Let me add, WoW does look slightly different going from dx9 to dx11, maybe a bit brighter or something.

And ill assume you are running on the 1366 intel platform with an i5 or i7 (since you shelled out all that money on your GPU's). My advice is keep your CPU and upgrade to a single card. Its funny that you mention a 570, because that is the exact card i would have recommended. It has dropped in price just in the last week, you can grab and EVGA lifetime warranty model for 299.00 (just a couple days ago this card was 340.00).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This depends on your budget. I'd go for Radeon 7870 or Kepler equivalent that's due pretty soon, if you can afford up to almost $400.

If that is impossible, you can make do with a $150 cards like Radeon 6870 / GeForce 560. Either card should provide much more consistent, smoother WoW experience.

It's not so much that AMD CPU has anything to do with DirectX 11, it's just that AMD CPUs are slower than Intels in CPU intensive tasks due to IPC difference
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Oh, you replied right after i did :P

I was right lol, i figured you had the 920 : )

Anywho, yes DX11 gives great frame rate increases. I didnt mean AMD video cards didnt benefit from DX11 (the 5000 6000 and 7000 series do) i was saying if you had an amd CPU that a video card upgrade would not likely net you any FPS increases (intel simply plays wow much better than amd).

That being said, my post above stands. I think a single card GPU upgrade would be best for you. A 920 CPU is still a good piece of hardware and you still have plenty of juice left in it in case you ever wish to overclock it. Its all about your budget, but if you have 300 bucks to spend you cannot go wrong with the 570 i linked above.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
Kalg, please stop giving bad advice. : )

1. Gtx 570 is only slightly behind the 7870 in WoW for a LOT less money.
2. You cannot suggest a single 560/6870 because that is actually a decrease in performance for him. (DX11 aside of course).
3. GTX 570 is an AMAZING buy at that price, this is how you get deals, by buying last gen hardware at a discount. Not to mention its the awesome EVGA model with the blower style cooler and lifetime warranty.

I dont think buying a 7000 series amd card OR a keplar is a good idea now or in a couple months, prices are simply too high. Best to get deals on old gen hardware, its not like the new cards are bringing anything important to the table like DX12 or something.

Just my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
7870 can be OC'd, in which case, it matches up to 7950 and 580. I don't think that's bad in any way considering MSRP for a 7870 is $350 (probably be lower when Kepler is out). If $350 is too much, then yes, 570 is a better deal.

Although it should be noted GTX 580 will have a price cut to ~$420, then the question becomes whether extra legroom offered by 580+OC is worth $70.

As it stands, it's 6870/560 -> 560 Ti -> 570 -> 7870 / 580 -> 7970 (7950 is teamkilled by much cheaper 7870)
Edited by Kalganized on 3/15/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
You are too much about the future. You have been suggesting people hold off on building a system for months because of ivy bridge and guess what happened, they got delayed. Trust me when i say this kalg, newer does not equal better. Old gen stuff is tried and true, drivers have been perfected.

Here is a quote from the 7870 article that illustrates exactly what i am talking about:

Unfortunately, our in-depth evaluations in two different labs at opposite ends of the world turned up a handful of unexpected issues, too. Igor Wallsosek in our German office reports back with a lot of Radeon HD 7850-related issues: NewTek’s LightWave crashes with 4x AA or higher, Autodesk’s 3ds Max crashes in DirectX mode, and the card is incapable of running StarCraft II at its stock clocks. It would be tempting to chalk all of that up to a bad sample, but we had problems with our 7850 as well. World of Warcraft was particularly unstable, requiring a restart after every crash. And sometimes our test bed simply wouldn’t boot with the 7850 installed. Then there’s the whole issue of texture quality issues on both of the new 7800s. Oof.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the advice. What're your thoughts on the GTX 570 vs. the 560 TI 448 core? Toms has them benchmarked pretty much in step with one another, and the 560 is about 50 bucks cheaper.
Reply Quote
40 Human Priest
The zotac model of the 560ti 448 core is an especially good deal because it includes a copy of BF3 with it (thats if you dont have it) for 240.00 after rebate. They are pretty close in performance, the 448 core being more overclock friendly. I personally would go with the 570 because of the recent price drop. One thing to remember about one-off cards is that drivers are sometimes not optimized or can be different from its big brother, this usually only happens years down the road tho.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
560 Ti 448 core works just as well, although 570's price is sufficiently low enough that there is not much reason for 560 Ti 448
Reply Quote
73 Orc Hunter
You are too much about the future. You have been suggesting people hold off on building a system for months because of ivy bridge and guess what happened, they got delayed. Trust me when i say this kalg, newer does not equal better. Old gen stuff is tried and true, drivers have been perfected.

Here is a quote from the 7870 article that illustrates exactly what i am talking about:

Unfortunately, our in-depth evaluations in two different labs at opposite ends of the world turned up a handful of unexpected issues, too. Igor Wallsosek in our German office reports back with a lot of Radeon HD 7850-related issues: NewTek’s LightWave crashes with 4x AA or higher, Autodesk’s 3ds Max crashes in DirectX mode, and the card is incapable of running StarCraft II at its stock clocks. It would be tempting to chalk all of that up to a bad sample, but we had problems with our 7850 as well. World of Warcraft was particularly unstable, requiring a restart after every crash. And sometimes our test bed simply wouldn’t boot with the 7850 installed. Then there’s the whole issue of texture quality issues on both of the new 7800s. Oof.

Fascinate - this goes for anything new. Drivers will be perfected over time. The 7800s JUST came out. Within 2 months from now many of these issues will be resolved and the cards will simply perform better than the older gens.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]