Server Mergers

85 Tauren Shaman
Yeah, there definitely isn't 20,000 active characters on Gul'Dan, not sure how or where that realmpop site obtains it's statistics or if it even filters out inactives like warcraftrealms does. I've been running the census mod daily 4-5 times the past week and I've found about 2,500 level 6+ horde characters. http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php I'd say the horde statistics are fairly accurate and match what my census mod is showing statistically.
Edited by Nurfornothin on 3/24/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/24/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Nurfornothin
Yeah, there definitely isn't 20,000 active characters on Gul'Dan, not sure how or where that realmpop site obtains it's statistics or if it even filters out inactives like warcraftrealms does. I've been running the census mod daily 4-5 times the past week and I've found about 2,500 level 6+ horde characters. http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php I'd say the horde statistics are fairly accurate and match what my census mod is showing statistically.

They get their data from toons who have posted on the AH, they then scan their guild on the armory and add the toons from their guild to the list.

Better yet, from their site,

Project Details
What - We currently record character names, races, classes, genders, levels, and guild memberships for all characters on every realm in the US and EU regions.

How - To get the list of characters for a realm, first we record all the characters who posted to the auction house. Then we fetch and record their guild rosters. This should cover the majority of characters on a realm. To avoid getting listed, a character must never post to the auction house, and never belong to a guild where a guild member posts to the auction house.

Who - It's important to remember that we're simply counting the number of characters seen for each category. This does not mean the number of players, nor the number of actively played characters. We can't efficiently get activity data yet, so some characters may not have been played for a long time.

When - We re-fetch guild rosters about once every 10-12 days, and then fetch characters we haven't seen after about 20 days. The goal is to find all characters, not necessarily to have up-to-date guild rosters. The reports that come from this data get updated about once a week.

Where - We use the Battle.net API to get character and guild information. Every visitor to this site fetches some data that we need and sends it to our servers. In compliance with Blizzard's Third-Party API Usage Policy, you can view the code that accesses the API by loading this JavaScript file and running it through a beautifier.

The problem with warcraft realms is it requires more than just one or two people on both alliance and horde to use the addon. The problem with this site is that not all people use the AH.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Most of the people that raided with PO / Malice on Gul'dan were recruited from different realms, so Warkin, your point is invalid.
In fact, I only ever raided with one other "native" of Gul'dan, and he got gkicked shortly after.

I'm not sure I understand your comment, Terrific. My point was that they were an elitist guild that insulted people daily, encouraged drama, grabbed up a couple players, and left the server with no concern other than their own agenda. This is not going to build a strong community. Their attitudes are negative to a healthy server population.

And when you say you only raided with one "native" of Gul'dan...you lost me there. I thought "Cloudy Day" is a native guild of Gul'dan and that you have raided with them for some time.

Maybe I just need another cup of coffee and this will make sense. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And when you say you only raided with one "native" of Gul'dan...you lost me there. I thought "Cloudy Day" is a native guild of Gul'dan and that you have raided with them for some time.

You said, " In the end, they left because the server population did not support a player base with enough talent to bolster their ranks into multiple raid-capable players for every class."
This is not true because they recruited almost everybody from different realms and paid for realm transfers.
What I meant was that when I was in their guild, on my alt, I only ever recognized one other player from Gul'dan during H FL progression.
They did not leave because there weren't enough skilled people here to support them.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I understand what you meant now, Terrific. Thanks for clarifying. With the recruitment adds I saw on their website and wowprogress page it would seem they wanted to recruit heavily for raiding. You are indicating you only saw one other Guldanite in their H FL progression group, which leads me to believe they could not find the raiders they were looking for here and left. I don't see what I'm missing, but I'm open to your line of reasoning.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Wouldn't it be awesome if Gul'dan (low pop horde - no pop alliance) was merged with another server that had (low pop horde - med pop alliance), so that there might actually be some world pvp and a better ecomony.

Post here if you agree! Maybe Blizzard will notice...(not holding my breath)
I will bump this if they ever want to read it but... Blizzard feels they will lose money giving people free xfers instead of them leaving themselves, they need to realize though that wow has died down from like a 12m gamer community to a 8m or less (imo) community. If they merge servers they will keep people playing the game and not leaving due to having no good players to raid or PvP with. Anyway, yes this is a great idea if they ever start to care about keeping people in a dieing game they need to revive low pop servers by giving them a community again.

*EDIT* Maybe you should try to get Blizzard to Thumbnail this topic so we can get peoples opinions but they proly won't.
Edited by Burix on 4/6/2012 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Priest
This isn't the first time an idea like this has popped up..and each time it just dies out and nothing is done about it. Maybe, just maybe, gul'dan will become decent again in MOP?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Most of you have been playing WoW long enough to know that Gul'dan always has been and probably always will be low pop. If you don't like it, stop transferring back to it.

These threads are done to death. Blizzard is never going to merge servers, and every time they open the realm for free transfers, 50 people come, stay about 3 months, and leave again.

Let it go.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Priest
Most of you have been playing WoW long enough to know that Gul'dan always has been and probably always will be low pop. If you don't like it, stop transferring back to it.

These threads are done to death. Blizzard is never going to merge servers, and every time they open the realm for free transfers, 50 people come, stay about 3 months, and leave again.

Let it go.

^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]