Any Unholy?

98 Draenei Death Knight
Since the mains are geared up now, it's about that time when everyone starts bringing in alts for non-progression fights to gear them up. Just curious if we have any DKs on Darrowmere that go Unholy for certain fights instead of Frost, and which fights those are. I'm doing some research on strategies for certain bosses and looking at logs so I can max her dps. Hoping to look at the logs of people with similar item level instead of the people ranking in WoL with ilvl 405. -_-

I learned during my research today that Hagara's Shattered Ice can be copied with Dark Simulacrum which is pretty cool. Also learned that Outbreak can be applied to Ultrax in the normal realm. Then of course there's the more obvious ones I already knew, like using AMZ during Blackhorn and Madness and AMS during black phases of Zon for fast RP gain.

So please share with me if you know of some people whose logs I can review, thanks!

InB4 I'm not a fan of Frost and we're equally viable now so I won't be playing that spec much, if at all, and I'm aware I need to enchant and gem a couple items and get some PvE bracers.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Make sure you use death coil.

I dunno, I just can't seem to get into Unholy. Been playing frost so long I guess. Something isn't clicking for me. Need to tighten up my rotation I guess and maybe get an actual dps set piece...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
On Blood Legion's first logs, they stacked DKs on Morchok and popped 4 Anti-Magic Dome(bubble) so that heroism could be used and just burn through the black blood phase.

Their first logs are 1:45 long.
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
Make sure you use death coil.

I dunno, I just can't seem to get into Unholy. Been playing frost so long I guess. Something isn't clicking for me. Need to tighten up my rotation I guess and maybe get an actual dps set piece...

The fact that your DK is a female Nelf just seems so odd to me. Probably because I'm pretty sure most or all of your other toons are male, and Nelves just don't seem like they should be dark and scary DKs.

If you want, I could go over the spec with you sometime. Despite this toon being an alt, I feel that I have a really good grasp on the spec and rotation. It's just the finer points that I'm trying to master now.

On Blood Legion's first logs, they stacked DKs on Morchok and popped 4 Anti-Magic Dome(bubble) so that heroism could be used and just burn through the black blood phase.

Their first logs are 1:45 long.

That's pretty funny. Smart too!
Edited by Pheydre on 3/15/2012 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
03/15/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Pheydre
If you want, I could go over the spec with you sometime.

Even if you don't plan to switch so it's for no other reason than to help you help pugs, team members, or guildies in general if they are struggling.
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Paladin
Prettymuch any fight where there's a lot of mobility and ranging unholy has a tendency to pull ahead due to the ghoul. Same goes for fights where you can soak aoe damage with ams.

Burst fights like spine sees certain frost builds do well.
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
03/15/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Daumaenis
Burst fights like spine sees certain frost builds do well.

Crap, I forgot about Spine. That is the most annoying fight in Unholy due to having to keep a closer eye on your ghoul and letting DoTs fall off the Amalg so its health bar stabilizes. Guess I'll have to go Frost for that one.
Reply Quote
I'm actually split 50/50 on gender for my 85's.

male: dwarf shaman and worgen druid
female: nelf dk and worgen hunter

also Mor Ambar in Quenyan Elvish means Dark/Darkness World/Fate respectively giving morambar to translate over to roughly "Dark Fate"

On topic: Movement is good for unholy b/c of Timmy but target switching over a distance sucks like yorsahj to globules.
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
I'm actually split 50/50 on gender for my 85's.

male: dwarf shaman and worgen druid
female: nelf dk and worgen hunter

Female Worgens do not exist. Adding some eyelashes, a different /dance, and bewbies does not make it female. Just effeminate.

03/15/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Morambar
On topic: Movement is good for unholy b/c of Timmy but target switching over a distance sucks like yorsahj to globules.

I actually don't mind the Yor fight because I can throw Icy Touch or Outbreak and Death Coils while I'm running, then strafe all the way back to the boss.
Reply Quote
03/15/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Pheydre
bewbies does not make it female

I've been lied to then!

Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
03/15/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Morambar
bewbies does not make it female

I've been lied to then!

Gynecomastia

Nuff said
Reply Quote
How can I be certain you are female pheydre?!
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
Heard my voice on Vent, seen my pics on FB... Hmm. Those could be digitally altered, so I guess my evidence is unreliable. I do play a game that only guys play, and my sense of humor during raids is known for being rather crass. Maybe I'm not a female after all and I should get this Gynecomastia checked out...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I'm not sure If I'm the type of unholy dk you are looking for, but I am 2/8 herioc progression, which is the same as you. and also your ilvl seems slightly higher than mine, so dps should be similar.

Fights you would probably want to use unholy over frost on would be morchok, zon'ozz (not sure about heroic, considering the adds), ultra, and maybe deathwing.

the few tips i could give (fight specific things) would be:
1) (not so fight specific) ams is a huge dps boost if used properly. sometimes it requires you to stand in fire just to get a dps gain. an example being second phase blackhorn, whereyou should stand in gariona's fire when ams is up for a huge rp gain. just make sure if you do this you pay attention to the durration of your ams and don't end up killing yourself.

2) for ultraxion, make sure that you don't use ams when he is casting hour of twighlite (unless it is heroic and you are taking the hit) and make sure that you and your group are close enough to him so that the gurth tentacle can hit him.

3) (this works on lfr, have yet to try it on normal/heroic) durring black blood for morchok, pop ams. extra rp + extra uptime on boss = win

4) for madness of deathwing, first, on regenerating bloods just use DnD then spam blood boil and spellweave will proc like crazy. you can get at least 3 million damage out of spellweave diong this. second, the key to good dps on this fight is 100% uptime when you get a the 100% damage boost on the wing/arm ( by uptime, I mean you should not run out of resources at any point).

5) (not sure if you will get this far, conidering only 1 guild is on H spine and this is your alt) but on H spine, diseases don't have an AoE damage cap. pestilance on bloods with 7k blood plague and 3k frost fever ticks per target will do insane damage. this works better on 25 than it does on 10.

an in general tip that you should know about the rotation is that 1 DnD > 1 scourge strike. ~ 10k more damage if the entirety of the DnD is allowed to tick. continue to use scourge strike when the boss is moving/about to move.

macro at least your main abilities, all of them if you like, with claw. Our pets are not very smart when it comes to using their resources.

#showtooltip Scourge Strike
/cast Scourge Strike
/cast Claw

an example of the macro

also, get rid of glyph of icy touch, replace it with glyph of death coil.

lastly, I have been looking at stat weights for dk's and have been finding mixed results, some have mastery > crit > exp, another had crit > mastery > exp, last one had crit > exp > mastery. I am going to look into this, and respond later when i discover what is most optimal. but looking at the #1 parse for Ultraxion, he had onlt been dodged 1 time durring the entire fight, which has made me think if option 3 for secondary stat weights is most optimal, or said dk got extremely lucky with rng.

really, the general idea that turns you from a good dk to a great dk is proper use of ams and knowing the fights, which you basicly know already. you should have no problem doing 30-35k dps in your gear.
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
Great tips, thank you so much!

I definitely need to make a couple of macros, like the one you shared. EJ recommended making one that will start auto-attacking in case you try to attack a fresh target without the correct runes up so pressing an ability ends up doing nothing.

That's a good point about switching my glyph, although I read that I need to change them according to the type of fight. Scourge Strike and Death Coil for single target, D&D and Icy Touch for AoE.

D&D will definitely be getting used more often now. I had assumed it was only good for AoE but the math does work out for single target too.

For my reforging I think I used the stat weights EJ has for when you have Gurthalak, which is Mastery >= Crit > Exp.

After I get some practice in, I think 30k-35k is definitely an attainable amount of dps with this gear. I went on an alt run a few nights ago with her, and my dps wasn't great, but a good starting point.

21k dps H:Morchok
29k dps H:Yor'Sahj
23k dps N:Hagara.

I actually managed to do 39k on N:Zon'Ozz and H:Majordomo though! /flex =D (Standing in one place for 90% of the fight does tend to help the dps... hehe)

Heading in-game to go practice now! Yay!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
03/15/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Mericansauce
5) (not sure if you will get this far, conidering only 1 guild is on H spine and this is your alt) but on H spine, diseases don't have an AoE damage cap. pestilance on bloods with 7k blood plague and 3k frost fever ticks per target will do insane damage. this works better on 25 than it does on 10.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nm4wm713pv2isd00/analyze/dd/source/?s=9682&e=10336&target=23

Not an unholy dk but similar concept with a warrior's rend spreading since each one is an individual DoT instead of one AoE hit/pulse. Fun stuff.

That being said you'll be going Frost on heroic spine for the burst on tendons while still having solid burst AoE from HB for getting bloods down before a roll. Although tendon dps isn't really an issue anymore so it's w/e I guess. Pets sometimes act quirky on tendons though and DnD is going to get you killed real quick like from all the bloods on plate 3 so you lose that 'single target' dps. Having Pillar of Frost up for every tendon is nice. I guess AMS for each Amalg explosion would be half decent to fill up your RP bar.
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
PS Mericansauce, I wish someone in your raids (or you, hint hint) would start logging and uploading to WoL so I could review yours. =(

It's easy to do actually. I have a WoL account, the WoL client on my computer, and the Loggerhead add on. The add on automatically begins logging when I step into a raid instance and after we are done for the night, I sign off my toon, open the client, and upload the log. There's an option to upload live during the raid, but I don't feel the need to use it unless something is going seriously wrong. Then I might do it so we can look at the data sooner than later.

Anyway logs are super helpful! Please consider it.
Reply Quote
03/16/2012 08:31 AMPosted by Pheydre
here's an option to upload live during the raid

I do this b/c everyone after a kill is like ZOMGSH DID I RANK?

Also it's fun to pull up on my 2nd monitor while corpse running so I can tell who's standing in stuff. Gives me the in-depth when I want it and I'm pretty quick to move around it and find what I'm looking for. Skada is also pretty good IMO for in-game.
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Death Knight
03/16/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Banric
I do this b/c everyone after a kill is like ZOMGSH DID I RANK?

Lol. Yeah I get requests from our team to upload them asap too for that reason. Probably half the time they actually did rank...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]