Guild Wars 2 finally getting official forums

100 Night Elf Hunter
Arenanet is finally going to have an official forum for Guild Wars 2.About time

"Let me point out the two biggest changes in the ways we interact with our communities between the original Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 right up front: we will have official forums, and we will not have a traditional fansite program."

http://www.arena.net/blog/building-community
Reply Quote
Yes, it's quite exciting!
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
I'm wondering how they plan to meet their goals of fostering a respectful and friendly community. Heavy moderation and strict rules? It could easily backfire on them - it's very common to hear of places with active moderation that they intentionally attack all posters who express discontent no matter how it's laid out, even when that's not true.
Reply Quote
03/15/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Welcome
I'm wondering how they plan to meet their goals of fostering a respectful and friendly community. Heavy moderation and strict rules? It could easily backfire on them - it's very common to hear of places with active moderation that they intentionally attack all posters who express discontent no matter how it's laid out, even when that's not true.

I'm hoping the moderation is crisp and clear-cut like their fansite Guildwars Guru. They seem to support them, so maybe they'll take notes!
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
03/15/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Hermie

I'm hoping the moderation is crisp and clear-cut like their fansite Guildwars Guru. They seem to support them, so maybe they'll take notes!

guildwars2guru's moderation is fairly strict, but I mostly agree with it. They still have pretty open discussion about the game. But that moderation does give the boards an impression of sterility and 'serious business only', and it still has its share of less than friendly and respectful posters. I can't say if they go too far, not far enough, or if they have it about as good as anyone can hope for. Then again, it's not a simple one-dimensional scale; they can perhaps lighten up on some aspects while becoming more strict on others.

Though it's fairly common to find people insisting that the moderation on guildwars2guru is draconian and disallows for free discussion of the game. I'm worried similar accusations would hairy ArenaNet's boards, and end up hurting their public image.
Reply Quote
I agree, they don't like to allow anything even minor just to lighten up a thread. I've tried, believe me!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Sweet, although I'll probably stick to the GW2 fan forums I already visit since they don't have strict rules disallowing discussion about sylvari dudes banging each other.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
03/15/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Jsaredor
Sweet, although I'll probably stick to the GW2 fan forums I already visit since they don't have strict rules disallowing discussion about sylvari dudes banging each other.

It's canon. Why would the offi-forums have an issue with it ;)
Reply Quote
61 Human Death Knight
Hopefully they have a lax moderation policy. Strict forums=bad. Add an ignore feature and they should be done with it.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
03/15/2012 08:01 PMPosted by Caristinn
Hopefully they have a lax moderation policy. Strict forums=bad. Add an ignore feature and they should be done with it.

I don't think that's going to happen:

There is no rule that you have to tolerate obnoxious behaviour. If people want to be "cool kids on the internet", they can do so. But not on our forums.

Just to make this point clear: Many of us have been around gaming communities for a long time, as players as well as professionals. We are not naive. There was a lot of research and thought behind what we want to achieve.

And i am sure a lot of people might have to adjust their online behaviour, which is probably a good thing.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1219686&postcount=93

Trust me - we are fully aware that it will not be easy. But there are two options one faces: Give up - or try to come up with something that changes the status quo. Again - we did not just decide "hey, it would be nice to have official forums, let's do this". We did a lot of research and worked for quite some time on what we want and how we can hopefully achieve it.

I am also kinda confused by postings that equal enforcing standards with "shutting down any discussion". There are tons of ways to have a discussion with opposing opinions without turning the discussion into a trollfest.

In the end (and yes, this is optimistic, but I am an eternal optimist - strange for a German, I know :P) It will come down to the community themself to assist us in creating the atmosphere and environment we want to create. It has been done before - it can be done again.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1220072&postcount=210
Edited by Welcome on 3/15/2012 8:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
03/15/2012 08:01 PMPosted by Caristinn

Ohh Riverfang... you're just looking for some new blood to troll ;)

Kidding aside, I'm pretty sure with a smaller community they'll be a little more pro-active. At least I hope so.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
03/15/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Welcome

guildwars2guru's moderation is fairly strict, but I mostly agree with it. They still have pretty open discussion about the game. But that moderation does give the boards an impression of sterility and 'serious business only', and it still has its share of less than friendly and respectful posters. I can't say if they go too far, not far enough, or if they have it about as good as anyone can hope for. Then again, it's not a simple one-dimensional scale; they can perhaps lighten up on some aspects while becoming more strict on others.

Though it's fairly common to find people insisting that the moderation on guildwars2guru is draconian and disallows for free discussion of the game. I'm worried similar accusations would hairy ArenaNet's boards, and end up hurting their public image.

Were most (or any) of those arguments claiming the moderation was draconian worded in a well thought out and intellectual way?
Reply Quote
61 Human Death Knight
@Welcome's post

Well, that's disappointing. A sterile community is a bad community, and unfortunately, it encourages players to have a thin skin. Some responsibility should put into the hands of the playerbase.
Edited by Caristinn on 3/16/2012 5:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter

Were most (or any) of those arguments claiming the moderation was draconian worded in a well thought out and intellectual way?

Not that I recall, but neither were they particularly poor either. They're mostly just rather vague about what happened. I'm always skeptical of "The moderator was unfair" kind of things. But whether the claims are valid or not is besides the point, which is that if such claims are common enough it will hurt ArenaNet's public image.

@Welcome's post

Well, that's disappointing. A sterile community is a bad community, and unfortunately, it encourages players to have a thin skin. Some responsibility should put into the hands of the playerbase.

Having effective moderation doesn't necessarily lead to a sterile community. As for members of the community getting "thin skin," I'm not of the line of thought putting up with obnoxious people somehow makes one a better person, nor do obnoxious members somehow make a community better.

As for responsibility, no one's suggesting that it lies entirely with the moderators. In the same thread, one of the other ArenaNet community managers said:
"Members of a community help set the tone for what that community will be like. Moderators can help guide that tone, of course."
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1220776&postcount=313
Edited by Welcome on 3/16/2012 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid

Guru's moderation is too strict imho. There has to be a balance. While I do appreciate the overall lack of trolls from the strict moderation they just are WAY too lock happy. It feels rather stifling. They lock perfectly legit threads that have legit discussion going on. And not just the repeat threads, that I understand. Guru is a great source of info, but it can get a bit annoying. It's simply not a very fun place to be overall. As for the community, I don't expect much from it. They are kind of catty over on Guru and I expect just as much of that on the official forums.

I for one am very pleased Anet is making a forum. At least the community can gather in one spot without over moderation.
Edited by Devashri on 3/16/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
On another note, does anyone know what al_capowned said in that thread to piss everyone off? The mods deleted everything and now I'm very curious. lol.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
Like I suggested in an earlier post, moderation isn't a single one dimensional scale that goes from "facist" to "nonexistent" and each forum has to decide where they land on that scale. Moderation is built based on a variety of rules for a variety of cases; how each forum rules addresses a particular case (say, off topic chatter) can vary widely at different forums, and doesn't necessarily relate to how that same set of rules would handle different cases (say, promotion of illegal behavior).

It's not a question of whether to employ strict or loose moderation, but of what set of rules should be followed for effective moderation.

I haven't been following the GW2Guru threads on this topic. Given that they're the de facto forum with no official forum, it's not surprising that there's a lot of strong conflicting opinions about an official forum and ArenaNet's goals in shaping the community.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
/mourn for the Guild Wars community after this.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Hopefully they'll have server forums. With all the server spirit they're trying to promote, that seems essential.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]