Random BG woes

97 Night Elf Druid
I recently transferred to FM (having come from Twisting Nether) and while I lost more random BG's than I won in that battlegroup (roughly 40% win rate since Cataclysm came out), Alliance did win often enough to make it enjoyable. My experience here, thus far, has been different!

Now, I understand that FM seems to favor the Horde in regard to PvP. Most servers lean to one faction or the other; Twisting Nether also tended to have stronger PvP'ers on the Horde side. However, in random BG's, shouldn't there be a more balanced representation due to the number of servers involved?

I've been jumping in and out of BG's here for about a week now and Alliance has won randoms that I've been in twice. Lost somewhere on the order of 20+. Is this a trend that other Alliance PvP'ers experience or have I just been terribly unlucky? Is this battlegroup heavily Horde favored in PvP?

I know that randoms are not restricted to your battlegroup, but I've read that the queue still prefers to choose from your battlegroup (due to non-regional lag, connection speed, etc.), so the chance that you will be fighting with or against people from outside your battlegroup is slim.

I don't mean to complain. I guess I'm just depressed by such a ruthless string of losses. It actually has been far more efficient, time-wise, for me to simply run dungeons and convert the JP to honor. Even though the conversion rate nets a loss in pure points, an average BG for me only grants 80-100 honor, and they usually take about the same time as running a heroic dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Just a bit of comfort for you... my husband queues random BGs a lot as well, and he has seen about the same ratio in wins/losses, but Horde-side. So it might just be horrible luck with the people you are put against.

Best wishes to you, and welcome to FM. :-)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
In my experiences, (5+ years of WoW) hordes the way to go on cyclone in cata. since the start of cata anyway (For PvP), (I have played both alliance and horde on FM). not saying all alliance is bad. but the majority of PvPers are horde.
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Druid
...the majority of PvPers are horde.

Yeah, I actually expected TB to be much worse off than it has been. I've seen a handful of Alliance wins. I'll bet, though, that back in the days of unlimited Wintergrasp queuing that it was a Tenacity-buff extravaganza for the Alliance. That's how it was on Twisting Nether and it was both exciting (fun to be a one-man raid-boss!) and humbling (I still am miffed about never having been able to earn those darn stone keeper shards!).

On a positive note, I've much enjoyed the community on FM. Its considerably more friendly and much less antagonistic than it was back on TN.

Cheers, all.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Oh, I pvp. But I don't think I pvp WELL. ;D
Reply Quote
actually wintergrasp the alliance had it most the time till the end when they changed it
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Yeah, the horde may have been superior in PvP in cata (and wrath) but we were vastly out numbered when it came to WG. When the numbers game was evened up we saw how things turned around.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Use more resilience stuff, you're probably getting focused because you're a druid, so it should help more.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Sadly its going to take more than resil to help a resto druid in pvp these days. Spec is seriously gimped atm.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I think a class's survivability has a lot to do with the player behind the character and who they are up against. Sometimes you can just plain have bad luck.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
03/18/2012 12:04 AMPosted by Alanth
Yeah, the horde may have been superior in PvP in cata (and wrath) but we were vastly out numbered when it came to WG. When the numbers game was evened up we saw how things turned around.

Someone always brings the numbers up when people talk about FM WG/Tol, and it's just not true. FM Horde was plain bad at WG. It was rigged for offense to win -- Blizzard outright said they'd designed it that way so it would change hands often -- and we weren't outnumbered as badly as people like to believe. Yes, the advantage of numbers was better than Tenacity, but the vast majority of the time we had enough people to win on O if more people tried to be useful instead of milling around at the front gate.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Random BGs is about time of day... after school hours, before an unsupervised bedtime, do not expect the Allies to win... don't even hope it. They get the gamers, we get the emo twelveteen year olds they didn't want.

Elsewise, it's a pretty fair split, and we share wins and losses.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Yeah, success rate in random battlegrounds doesn't really have anything to do with what server you're from, unless you somehow see a lot of preformed groups appearing in them. I'd chalk it up to time of day, like Gaielle said.

My advice would be to get a few friends to join the BGs with; at least then you'll have a few other players you can depend on and coordinate with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is a really funny youtube song about this very subject... just search Nubs & Scrubs

http://youtu.be/7oHWtdfzlLk
Edited by Cartavadin on 5/8/2012 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2012 03:23 AMPosted by Baphomette

Someone always brings the numbers up when people talk about FM WG/Tol, and it's just not true. FM Horde was plain bad at WG. It was rigged for offense to win -- Blizzard outright said they'd designed it that way so it would change hands often -- and we weren't outnumbered as badly as people like to believe. Yes, the advantage of numbers was better than Tenacity, but the vast majority of the time we had enough people to win on O if more people tried to be useful instead of milling around at the front gate.

I'll take this statement one step further. Horde failed to control WG later in wrath, most of the time, because most of the more active players (which can also correspond to more skilled) figured out that they could get in, take WG, do their business and leave. No reason to come back until the following week, outside of pvp.

FM has been and still is a mostly PVE server. Once most of the more dedicated players were done with WG early in the week, dailies included, they would return to their otherwise pve schedule. This obviously does not include everyone all the time, but I think in general is an acceptable explanation.

Naturally what the Horde was left with would be a less organized and in a lot of cases, less numerous group. Which is one reason why numbers probably comes up so much. There were faction differences in Wrath. I tend to agree that the Alliance had a more active player base, which lead to the above.

Skill wise, WG was not difficult to win. Period. An organized group of as little as 10 people, yes 10 people, could shift the tide of the match. Our raids did it all the time. But like I said, once done, people didn't come back.

Duke
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
05/08/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Cartavadin
http://youtu.be/7oHWtdfzlLk

*salute Cart* Not the best PvPer on the block but in comparison every year that one week gets more and more painful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]