Topic RP Server Survey Project
18 Blood Elf Warlock
Edited by Azastala on 3/18/12 1:23 PM (PDT)
I am posting this thread on every RP server aside from Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord.
This is a survey of RP activity on the various RP servers, many of which are only vaguely known by WoW's RP community at large.
This was inspired by a handful of requests for insight on the various RP servers, which were met only with talk of Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord.
However, there are over a dozen RP servers out there, one of which is yours.
I would like to gather the feedback from each of these surveys after a week for a general consensus and post the findings altogether.
So if you are a role player, a member of an RP guild or have experiences and/or insight to share on the RP community of your server, for one faction or both, then please represent in this thread within one week of the original posting date.
Thank you very much to everyone who participates.
EDIT For Additional Notes!
1. Replies From Trolls Will Not Be Included In The Final Results Report / Every Server Has Its Trolls
2. The Final Results Reports Will Be Posted On The World's End Tavern Forum
3. Potential Feedback Topics :
- A history of the RP community
- Where the RP community is at / How the RP community is doing now
- Where new players to the server can go to find RP (RP 'hotspots')
- What the RP is like (very guild-based, more random, faction events, etc)
- Current RP Guilds (and what they're all about)
Again thank you very much to everyone who participates!
Let's keep the creative writing alive! =)
Edited by Ura on 3/18/12 3:44 PM (PDT)
I'll cover the ones you've offered first... Obviously, I can only speak for Alliance side. I've been RPing on Farstriders since it opened.
A history of the RP community: Farstriders has had it's ups and downs. We're generally good for running lore breakers out of the community. At our lowest, we had a single RP guild and now we have... 10? Maybe more.
- Where the RP community is at / How the RP community is doing now?: It's improving. We don't have the numbers other servers have but, we have quality to make up for it. I think I've met maybe 1 or 2 RPers that don't capitalize or use chatspeak to attempt to RP, and only a handful of Sues. We value quality over quantity and that tends to be what lures people to the server. People that are willing to put forth an effort to find and continue RP are far more likely to succeed on Farstriders. There's still plenty of growing room, and I don't know of anyone that wouldn't like to see more quality RPers pop up.
- Where new players to the server can go to find RP? (RP 'hotspots'): The Habor in Stormwind and behind the Cathedral. We have two player ran pubs that pop up, one in Stormwind Harbor and the other in Ironforge.
- What the RP is like? (very guild-based, more random, faction events, etc): We are heavily focused on guilds. If you aren't in an RP guild, or in the OOC channels, finding RP will be made incredibly difficult. But, we have several people that aren't in RP guilds that participate in the events and join us for RP when it's announced. RP guilds tend to be the ones to organize bars/events/plots. Being in an RP guild skyrockets your chances of getting RP, but it is possible to get it outside of them. We have at least one public event a month, ranging from everything from speed dating to item auctions. There's a lot more planned this year and the list is constantly changing and being added to.
- Current RP Guilds (and what they're all about): The top three are The Shadow Hall, The Silver Legion and Bottleneck. Others are popping up as of late, and we have a roster to keep track of everything and make finding/contacting the guilds easier for everyone involved. (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1074267858)
Edit: I should also mention that the vast majority of our population don't visit the forums and probably don't know they even exist.
From a biased standpoint, I'm pretty sure someone else can give you a much better overview of Horde's RP but so far here's my opinion as an 'unofficial' leader of a dead guild who's pretty much stopped caring about this server for it's lack of RP.
- A history of the RP community: I could go on about this but I'd piss off alot of people in the process so we'll just smack it as "It was good, now it's not half of what it was. People will be people."
- Where the RP community is at / How the RP community is doing now: There are about 3 guilds, and the RP is still pretty scarce through them. There isn't really a way to keep in touch OOC because the one channel we had was abandoned because of the "OhgodTrolls" that don't even exist anymore. Also adding in the size of the community and people's own schedules outside of WoW that can't be on alot. The community has a rope and an open grave and is desperately holding on to that rope while bigger servers are holding a pair of scissors over it
- Where new players to the server can go to find RP (RP 'hotspots'): The Forums, to find an RP guild. Then hope the guild still exists. Then find a way to join the guild. Then find out where they're RPing if they're RPing because most people now would much rather favor a quick dungeon que over some quality RP, or they do both with IC gchat.
- What the RP is like (very guild-based, more random, faction events, etc): Everything else I've said pretty much sums up it's very very very guild based. Depending on which guild you join and who you suck up to will determine whether or not that guild is open to RP with another guild.
- Current RP Guilds (and what they're all about): All I know of is The Darksun Tribe, which has lately been lacking activity if I'm correct but I'm probably not. Bear Minimum which isn't a full RP guild but they did get their RP group up and active, props to that. Hellsing Organization, Shikon may stumble upon this thread and he can give a better summary of them, The Lost, which is also not a full focused RP guild but many members do RP, and The Savage Frontier, which I lead, which is pretty dead, though still of all of these guilds 7 members on at once would be a rare occasion. People's schedules and whatnot.
Of course, this is just how I see it and I haven't really been trying to find RP here. From what I hear it's still here just incredibly hard to find. To the point that I myself have given up trying. ....There's always Alliance though.
1 Blood Elf Rogue
Edited by Aenllus on 3/23/12 2:58 AM (PDT)
I'll say what he won't, since this one off forum toon won't ever suffer reprocussions for it past a three day ban.
Horde on farstriders these days, well, sucks.
While our server was never particularly large in the first place, used to be there was RP in every inn in cities other than Orgrimmar, and it was all pretty skilled (though some plot lines don't make any sense in retrospect).
We've had our fair share of problems over my several years here, certain people who will remain unnamed and have caused loads of drama, as well as griefers who have long since left/ gotten themselves banned have chased off a lot of older Horde players here.
At the end of the day, the killing blow was a minor one, the reputation WrA was building up as "horde RPers paradise" coupled with word of mouth saying about the same, made most remaining hordies who weren't firmly rooted to the server by friends jump ship and transfer.
Like Shraze said, it's still there, especially if you're in a guild, but if you're coming to look for RP without prior knowledge, and not because a friend asked you to roll an alt here, you would have better luck finding a needle in a haystack.
54 Goblin Rogue
You do realize the thread was asking about the state of RP on the server and not you right?
I honestly can't figure out what you were trying to say in that post.
I left because after four years of fun RP I saw the community get absolutely torn apart and I felt like giving my two cents on the subject.
The two DKs are just some jackasses who you can safely ignore though.
BOOSH! Here I am!
Hellsing isn't a fully Rp focused guild, but we do have -quite- a few Rpers among us who like to do as such in our downtime when we're not raiding/pvping/etc.
We are however, pretty active all things considered, with a minimum of 9-11 people on at almost any given time (save for early morning/afternoon).
Thanks for the shoutout Shraze. I'd thought about commenting on this when I saw it initially, but I figured I'd wait to let certain others have their turn (which I see they have yet to do). Didn't want to steal anyone's thunder. :)
Ash, I've been here for a few years. I saw the server in it's prime and watched it shrink into it's current state. Horde. Is. Dead. I even have characters spread out into one of the guilds mentioned above to see if they do any active RP, and they don't from what I can tell. They don't even use their IC guildchat >.< Frankly it's disappointing.
It's not like I'm not looking for RP, I am. It's just that there's so little of it my attempts aren't 100%. Off-server people aren't bashing Farstriders, they're telling people what is actually going on here.