Questing as a Healer

80 Dwarf Rogue
Is this worthwhile at all? Or is it best to have a dps offspec? For priests, shamans, and druids it seems easier to spec into one of their caster forms than it would be for a holy pally to offspec dps and need a whole new set of gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Unless you are questing in a group holy can get a bit painful towards northrend soloing.. Grabbing some dps os pieces from quests/dungeons should be easy enough and definitely worth the time.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
you only need to do it to level 30 before you get dual spec. At which point you can have a healer spec and a solo-dps spec. For Priest, Druid and Shaman, the caster and healers specs share gear, so you only need one gear set until you reach ilvl 300. (when reforge becomes available)

you can heal well enough lvl 15-29 as a balance druid or elemental shaman,
it's not feasible as a ret paladin, enh shaman

priest is a unique case, Discipline does decent dps at low levels, and a discipline priest can easily solo up to and past level 30, (not to mention how hard it is for mobs to kill a discipline priest). I leveled a priest as disc all the way to level 80 (once mastery kicks in, the difference between shadow and disc dps becomes too hard to ignore).
Edited by Triibrezo on 3/20/2012 7:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I leveled this character in BC as Shadow. Switched to Holy as soon as I dinged 70.
Wrath hit, I stayed Holy as I leveled to 80. Switched to Disc about the time ICC dropped.
Cata hit, I leveled to 85 as Disc.

...Never. Again.

It sucks. Things simply take forever to die. All the DPS specs have self-healing abilities (some bordering on overpowered), so there's no real reason to suffer through leveling as a healer.
Reply Quote
53 Troll Hunter
Not worth it. For some reason Blizzard thinks giving healing specs any sort of dps is overpowered, even though every dps spec can self-heal. I think a lvl 85 holy paladins, in full DS epics can pull maybe 4k dps. Priests have the best dps of the healing specs, and I'd fully recomend leveling as disc until 70 or 80, but after that it just gets too painfully slow.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
smite spec priest is the easiest to quest with. The others are painful and i have leveled all the healers as healers. Pally leveling was the most painful.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
...Never. Again.

It sucks. Things simply take forever to die. All the DPS specs have self-healing abilities (some bordering on overpowered), so there's no real reason to suffer through leveling as a healer

This. I've maintained since it came out that dual spec'ing takes the suck out of leveling as a healer. Sure, it's possible. Leveling as a resto shaman from 60 - 70 in BC was ... painful. Some of those nightmares will never go away.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Have a dps off spec. As for having two sets of gear... I'd say go ele while you're still young. One set of gear for resto and ele works fine at the lower levels and it's easier to upgrade one set. When you hit 85 and you just really want to be enhancement, grab a new set of gear.

DPSing as resto is painfully slow.

Edit for spelling derp
Edited by Pruflas on 3/20/2012 9:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have 2 holy specs. One (my primary) is for BG and questing. Basically you pick all the options that increase your dps or reduce the cost of your damage spells. Anyone building a spec for PVE would never take these options. They do put you in a position to be more useful in BG. All that is on my paladin. I just didn't want to have to lug around 3 sets of armor. I don't have any problems questing and can pretty much down mobs in a reasonable time.

On my druid, I definitely quest in balance, but there you only need to switch out a couple of pieces to rock and roll. I also keep a dps spec on both my shaman and priest, but always look for ways the two specs can actually share a lot of gear.
Edited by Preditorr on 3/20/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Not that you can't do it, but I suggest go with another spec for questing. In low-level dungeons nearly every group will be terrible anyway, so learning how to heal in dungeons is fair game. I actually tried questing in resto as a lowbie to learn how my abilities worked so when I started queuing for dungeons I wouldn't have any problems. It's not that's it's harder it just takes FOR-EV-ER (in the voice of the fat kid from the Sandlot).

I'm guessing you are thinking of the same strategy. One could argue that going into low-level dungeons and learning to heal there contributes to the badness, but I assume that since you are here asking this kind of question you actually read about your classes like I do, so going in having never healed does not make you bad, just inexperienced. Even with that disadvantage, I can almost guarantee that at least 3/5 other people in the group have not done the same and have no idea what they're doing.

I'm just assuming that you will also want to group occasionally since you intend to focus on healing, but either way I still say quest in a different spec unless you want plenty of time to take in all of the scenery.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I can say from experience that leveling healers is hard, but still quite fun. I leveled 2 paladins back in BC before dual spec came out as holy. One alliance, and one horde. This was around the time I first switched factions.

Yeah, holy shock spam only gets you so far dpsing, but hey, it can be done.Also, in response to the dwarf above: My ele gear only has one trinket different from my healing gear and I still pull roughly 30K dps in ele. Shaman are too easy to share gear for heh.
Edited by Zshikara on 3/21/2012 4:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

This. I've maintained since it came out that dual spec'ing takes the suck out of leveling as a healer. Sure, it's possible. Leveling as a resto shaman from 60 - 70 in BC was ... painful. Some of those nightmares will never go away.

I did the exact opposite. At the time, I just told my guild to not be too stupid and healed as shadow for 60-70 and 70-80, respecing back to holy once I was max level. There was absolutely no way I was leveling as holy. Doing dailies as holy was bad enough.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
...Never. Again.

This. I've tried leveling all four classes as healers and every single one was a terrible, terrible experience. I think I was most disappointed in the priest since I was hoping Smite spec wouldn't be so bad and I really wanted both healing specs on my priest. But unless I get her to the point she doesn't need any sort of dailies she's never, ever giving up that shadow spec again.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
My heals are priest disc/disc and rshaman resto/resto. It really depends on the class though, I can solo decently on my priest in my pvp spec since my keybinds are set up to dish out some damage to help my partner or kill bad people, my pve spec is archangel so smiting away works just fine.

On the shaman tho, it's painful, so I just don't quest. I really wish we had a tri-spec for people like me who want to pve heal, pvp heal, and have a dps spec for questing or other soloing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
A healing spec can help you accomplish certain things that the dps spec cant (like soloing group stuff), but in terms of overall speed and efficiency for solo questing, dps wins out by far.

However, if you want to experiment with healer questing or happen to enjoy it, then by all means, do so.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Depends on the class I think. Leveling as a Resto Shaman is mind searingly terrible, but leveling as a Discipline Priest is pretty easy. Not sure how Resto Druids and Holy Paladins are for questing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
03/22/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Shockeye
Depends on the class I think. Leveling as a Resto Shaman is mind searingly terrible, but leveling as a Discipline Priest is pretty easy. Not sure how Resto Druids and Holy Paladins are for questing.

I did more DPS in a shockadin build at level 80 in wrath epics than I did at 85 in cata greens and the occasional blue. It's horrible to level as holy and you need an entirely different set to level as a DPS. Just brutal.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
For Priests, leveling as Disc works quite well until you hit 80 or so. Shadow doesn't work that well at all for leveling pre-Mind Spike. DoTs cost way too much mana and mobs don't live long enough to justify their cost. Disc, on the other hand, works pretty well: Holy Fire, Smite x N (somewhere between 1 and 3), Penance, maybe SW:D, done.

There are a couple points where you can maybe justify swapping to Shadow, like when you get glyph of Spirit Tap, when you get Masochism, when you get Shadowfiend and when you finally get Dispersion, but Disc keeps up with it pretty well even then. It isn't until you pick up Mind Spike that Shadow firmly pulls ahead. At that point, Shadow kills far faster than Disc does and doesn't suffer from the mana problems any more.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Leveling as a Restoration Shaman isn't that bad, really. Sometimes I am too lazy to switch to my Enhancement spec and do dailies as Restoration. The enemies do not die nearly as fast, but it is impossible for me to die really and there is no down time. I just have to be more offensive minded: Flametongue on my weapon for more spell damage, Earth Shield myself so enemies constantly heal me as they attack, keep Riptide rolling, Unleash Elements, Flame Shock, Lavaburst, Lightning Bolt, and Primal Strike when things are in melee.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]