Negative, Unintended Effect (I Hope)

85 Draenei Warrior
Dear Blizzard,

What have you done? I've been playing since the Vanilla beta and I cannot believe how much this game has changed. This is not simply a rant about change, but a rant about changes that occurred due to implemented mechanics. I'd like to touch upon just a few things that have destroyed this game. This is an MMO. Why has the World of Warcraft begun to feel isolated?

• 1. Looking for Group / Raid:
  • I remember a time when the World of Warcraft was actually a world. Now it's just a city to each faction. Not only is it not necessary to leave your main city, no one ever does. I know that Blizzard is extremely interested in making PVPing fun. For us older veterans who enjoyed World PVP, we're really disappointed. And this is a byproduct of the looking for group and looking for raid buttons. Equally as troublesome is the fact that most of the people that play this game can't even find the instance after wiping in a dungeon. Those people aren't even getting to experience the World of Warcraft that many of us grew up in. You're doing your fans a disservice by making it so simple.

• 2. PVP and Arena Queue:
  • This is the same situation as the Group and Raid finder. I'm wondering if anyone even knows where the Portal is to Queue up for AV, AB, or Warsong gulch. Again, this is doing an extreme injustice to the players of your game and really neglecting the new audience you had acquired. There is so much beauty in the World that it's discouraging to know half of these people will never get a chance to witness it. You really should make the gear vendors for PVP outside of the PVP portals of each PVP Instance. At least make some more people see the beautiful work you guys have done. This would also promote additional World PVP play and at least not make the world feel so empty.
  • 3. Smaller Size raids for the same loot:
  • World of Warcraft is an MMO. Why doesn't it feel like one?! Everyone is so isolated from each other and the opposing faction rarely passes each other in the world. This is such a 180 flip from the Vanilla days, and while the game has improved (I mean boss and fight mechanics) we have lost a sense of the world. Make more 40 man raids!! PLEASE! And if you're not going to do that, make different loot drop from 10 and 25 mans and make their raid locks separate.

• 4. Way TOO many flight paths:
  • This again in conjunction with everything else just cuts down on World interaction. Sure, it makes leveling and questing easier but it also makes traveling between regions an isolated and lonely process. A process that most people just AFK for. They're missing out on the beauty of the game and it's mostly Blizzard's fault for this. Why would you not want people to see the incredible detail you've put into this game?

Now, I could say a lot more about the raids and dungeons within this game, but I wanted to touch on a topic I think everyone could understand. Blizzard might as well just remove all other regions from this game besides Elwynn Forest and Durotar. Destroy all the other main cities besides Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Destroy all instance portals found within this game or Raid portals. Destroy all the other expansions. They aren't really necessary at all. This game is quickly beginning to feel like a free to play game.
    Edited by Ultralisk on 3/20/2012 2:40 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Tauren Paladin
    If you had *really* played since Vanilla beta, you'd know that the problem of "I need incentives to leave the city more often" has been around since years before LFR and LFD were even a blip on the radar. People have been standing around in cities queuing for BGs since the days when Battlemasters were implemented and we no longer had to run to the BG portals. People were also standing around in cities for hours spamming endlessly "LF1M BRD, going for Emp" years ago. And then when they'd actually get a group, inevitably you'd have three people saying "Summon pls" over and over again.

Blizz didn't create this problem. Players did.

I've always played on Medium servers and I started right before ZG launched in Vanilla...I can not for certain say that I run into less Alliance players now than I did back then. Also, 40 man raids are a matter of taste...I was thrilled to see them go away because 20 minutes of handing out buffs before a pull was a ridiculous thing to sit through.
    Reply Quote
    85 Draenei Warrior
    You played towards the end of Vanilla though. Different times although, if you think you run into the same amount of players as you did back then I think you're a bit out of your mind.

The huge wars walking to Onyxia for example were insane.
    Reply Quote
    8 Blood Elf Paladin
    Queues do not make people stand around in a city... PEOPLE make people stand around in a city (mostly for conveniences like AHs, vendors, and banks).

As the other poster mentioned, the cities were FILLED with LFG spam in Vanilla, so none of this is new. The Battlemasters were added fairly quickly so that people didn't have to travel to the portals for PvP (remember that Vanilla started with ZERO BGs... so there was not a really long time span making the trek to the portals).

The only way to make people go to other places after levelling and questing is done is to force them by making the dungeons only accessible there. Once there, they will (wait for it) STAND AROUND.

They will need to put AHs, vendors, and places with bank access near these places... once they do it will (wait for it) BE A CITY! Just a city without buildings maybe.
    Edited by Lastlaugh on 3/20/2012 5:04 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Hunter
    I want the feeling of gear to matter logically to my brain again. I hate seeing everything on my gear be +300 agility +300 stamina, etc.

I miss the 1% crit chance and +16 agility days. I don't really want classic back, but I want its simplicity.
    Reply Quote
    8 Blood Elf Paladin

• 4. Way TOO many flight paths:
  • This again in conjunction with everything else just cuts down on World interaction. Sure, it makes leveling and questing easier but it also makes traveling between regions an isolated and lonely process. A process that most people just AFK for. They're missing out on the beauty of the game and it's mostly Blizzard's fault for this. Why would you not want people to see the incredible detail you've put into this game?

You get a MUCH better view of the incredible detail from the air (seriously). The ground, while nice, does not hold a candle to flyovers near enemy cities and some of the general scenery that you can only get from flying.
    Reply Quote
    8 Blood Elf Paladin
    03/20/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Normie
    They will need to put AHs, vendors, and places with bank access near these places... once they do it will (wait for it) BE A CITY! Just a city without buildings maybe.

YES ... putting more "services" out in the wild would definitely be helpful in keeping people out in the wild.

True... but then "the wild" just becomes another city (another place to stand around in). On PvP servers things may change a bit, but PvE servers will see very little difference. Even on PvP servers, you can still just fly and avoid most world entanglements... so the impact there may not be too big.

It would not even surprise me if they make trade chat available near the portals in the wild.
    Edited by Lastlaugh on 3/20/2012 5:18 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Dwarf Death Knight
    03/20/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Ultralisk
    Make more 40 man raids!!
    I'll have to disagree with this one. My computer currently drops down to about 6fps on Raid Finder with everything reduced to the bare minimum graphics-wise. It dips down to about 3fps during parts with heavy AoE by bosses such as black blood for Yor'sahj and when Zon'ozz gets hit by the ball.

I would be incapable of doing a 40-man raid with any graphics settings. It would lag my computer out so bad that I would get 1 frame every 2-3 seconds.

I'm sorry, but with the updated textures and particles, 40-man raids are impossible for many people on my server, and I'm sure a great many more on other servers.
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Warlock
    03/20/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Ultralisk
    I remember a time when the World of Warcraft was actually a world. Now it's just a city to each faction. Not only is it not necessary to leave your main city, no one ever does.

This, I don't understand this. I go out, to fish, mine (alts), herb (alts), kill many many humanoids (tailor), and I always run into someone with the same thought! Usually on the same thing am doing.

If this was true, I should have the whole world to my self, but it's not.
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    03/20/2012 02:43 PMPosted by Dërka
    If you had *really* played since Vanilla beta, you'd know that the problem of "I need incentives to leave the city more often" has been around since years before LFR and LFD were even a blip on the radar. People have been standing around in cities queuing for BGs since the days when Battlemasters were implemented and we no longer had to run to the BG portals. People were also standing around in cities for hours spamming endlessly "LF1M BRD, going for Emp" years ago. And then when they'd actually get a group, inevitably you'd have three people saying "Summon pls" over and over again.

Oh god. Terrible, terrible memories, you have arisen.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]