Hmmmm?

86 Human Paladin
03/20/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Röth
Also some people strive to be competitive, and taking advantage of low skill players so you look like a godsend is some people's MO (Dream Whisper was a good example of this, or at least that's how I pictured their transfer.)

Dreamwhisper's transfer had nothing to do with getting server firsts. In fact, a lot of DW players probably missed out on the personal server firsts (level 85 class/race, professions, etc) due to the cooldown involved (i.e., Cata launched within the 90 day window where you're ineligible to earn them). I'll skip the full history lesson, but Dreamwhisper moved primarily due to guild animosity, at the suggestion/request of Blizzard GMs - stuff that went far beyond petty things like stupid posts in another guild's recruiting thread, and progressed into things like the theft/hijacking of raid lockouts.

I do think there's a certain degree of e-peen involved in getting the server firsts, but as I said, with the titles gone it doesn't mean much. There's still a certain prestige in being the top raiding guild of a realm, but a realm with lots of good guilds is also a realm with a large pool of recruits, not to mention a healthy economy to support those raids. Going from a place like Windrunner (where the three top guilds downed H-LK 25 pre-Cata, and many more were 11/12) to a comparatively unprogressed server, I can tell you the difference is huge.

That said, the notion of being the top guild on a server, and the prestige of getting those things, certainly is not without appeal, and I'd be lying if I said no one in Dreamwhisper mentioned those things in discussion following the DW officers' decision to make the transfer - but that wasn't the primary reason it came up. Magnanimous I can't speak for, of course.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Fat Chance was native formed from...crap...I don't recall the name and I was in the damn guild. LoL.

Thought BoP was native. Magnanimous was a transfer. They cleared "normal" T11 but that doesn't get server first achievements does it? Thought it was only heroic kills now.

I can't remember all of the guilds that transferred here through WoTLK and early Cata.

Fat Chance was originally Cold Fusion. I believe that Cold Fusion was created in part by Empire when they fell apart. You'd have to talk to Hawkke or Entranced for a more in depth history. I think there was a lot of transferring around so I am unsure if the core is originally from Darrowmere or not.

In Wrath the only guilds I can think of that transferred here were Mythic(lol), IOP, Magnanimous, Dream Whisper, and Imperative(lol). Those are the only ones that made a big enough splash that I can recall.

BGSIMPIN in da USA

-Meekah

P.S.
Lempira > Enterrador
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
At this rate, guilds will be hard pressed for any server firsts. There's a 3 month lock out. MoP should be out by then. I doubt the raids will be open first week, though.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
03/20/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Shaedrya
I'll skip the full history lesson, but Dreamwhisper moved primarily due to guild animosity, at the suggestion/request of Blizzard GMs - stuff that went far beyond petty things like stupid posts in another guild's recruiting thread, and progressed into things like the theft/hijacking of raid lockouts.

I bow before this grand level of trolling. I am humbled.

That being said I only played Vanilla/BC and now Cata skipped over Wrath. What was it about the split lockouts that allowed them to be stolen or hijacked? Also epic that GM's got involved.

03/21/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Sonofshamm
I doubt the raids will be open first week, though.

Why wouldn't they be? Paragon had 12/12 normal within the first week of cata (well 11/12 25m and 1/12 (nefarian) due to bugs on 25m Nef despawning after a wipe)

Naxx/EoE/OS was done within 24 hours of Wrath's release by many guilds I think as well.

Pending any sort of change up in raid gating or nasty gamebreaking bugs, I see the top guilds zerging to 90, having the ilvl for LFR and running it for ez lewtz, and then clearing X/X normal the first week.

Maybe Darrowmere will get all the normals done within the first couple weeks this time around?
Edited by Malenifre on 3/21/2012 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
03/21/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Röth

I bow before this grand level of trolling. I am humbled.

That being said I only played Vanilla/BC and now Cata skipped over Wrath. What was it about the split lockouts that allowed them to be stolen or hijacked? Also epic that GM's got involved.

Why wouldn't they be? Paragon had 12/12 normal within the first week of cata (well 11/12 25m and 1/12 (nefarian) due to bugs on 25m Nef despawning after a wipe)

Naxx/EoE/OS was done within 24 hours of Wrath's release by many guilds I think as well.

Pending any sort of change up in raid gating or nasty gamebreaking bugs, I see the top guilds zerging to 90, having the ilvl for LFR and running it for ez lewtz, and then clearing X/X normal the first week.

Maybe Darrowmere will get all the normals done within the first couple weeks this time around?

I'd like to see it done :) Beta testing smooths this over very well considering it's going to be farm mode soon for a lot of you guys. Getting on there, finding quick leveling paths, and killing fights before they're live is going to be a game changer for sure.

And also, if you have monks at your disposal soon after launch you're going to be an unstoppable force, especially considering that they have a near constant 45% dodge and a straight up damage reducing mastery. May want to get a specific person to get on that and give them as much help as possible along the way.

I think I might just buy the $20 classic/BC box and RAF with someone to zerg their monk up. We'll see I guess!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I think I might just buy the $20 classic/BC box and RAF with someone to zerg their monk up. We'll see I guess!

I have a strong feeling that this will be taken out of the game for the early weeks of MoP. Alternatively, you can get the second account now, let it go inactive, resurrect it ASAP and save the level 80 boost. I'm fairly certain that the level 80 boost does not expire.

I thought of that as well but the way you describe wont work.
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/scroll-of-resurrection-faq#q4
"their account must have become inactive on or before March 4th, 2012."

I also figured depending on how it worked if you didnt have to claim the free lvl 80 ASAP then you could save it for a Monk/Pandaren. Like you said they will most likely disable all these things for a week or so to give people time to get realm first Pandaren/Monk the legit way.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
03/21/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Röth
I'm not questioning why you left your realm. I get that. It's just the reason you chose Darrowmere over other realms was not cause the people here were nice or anything like that, but rather for progression opportunities and having shots at realm firsts (which must have seemed relatively easy considering that most guilds were hardly into heroics and the most progressed guild was 9/12). I don't think that it was a wrong thing to do, but saying that you didn't come to Darrowmere in order to dominate the raiding scene is absurd considering the heavy recruitment that was done immediately after Cata launched.

"Why Darrowmere?" is a fair question. As I understand (because I wasn't in the discussions, and heard about it second or third hand), Darrowmere was suggested by the Blizzard GMs specifically because it was one of the most poorly progressed servers, as a result of the old raiders transferring off when it got turned from PVP to PVE. I know at least a few people in Dreamwhisper weren't so happy about going from a realm with a high/active/experienced raiding population to one with a very limited raiding population, and a vastly smaller pool of potential recruits on-server, and the economy differences that all that entails (less raiders means less people farming mats to sell, etc, greater price distortions when they do and so on)

Personally speaking, I'd welcome more guilds, including good ones,* even if it means mine isn't even reasonably in the running for any "firsts". At the end of the day, the competition is good, and a larger population benefits all of us in ways that might not immediately be apparent.

*Except Horde guilds that is. You dirty hordies can go die in a fire. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/19/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Kardone
Was magnanimous *spelling? a transfer or natives? They cleared t11 normals then left, correct?

03/19/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Cixelsýd
Thought BoP was native. Magnanimous was a transfer. They cleared "normal" T11 but that doesn't get server first achievements does it? Thought it was only heroic kills now.

Magnanimous was formed by the former core of The League (they transferred off the server for a brief period in which those that stayed formed Magic, and returned some weeks before Cata). Although they were among the top 100 in normal progression, they disbanded shortly after; (we assume due to butt-hurt from not getting HM server firsts, GG).

From what I've heard from the occasional troll, The League was formed by server natives who decided to stay when all the Horde top tier guilds (inc. Aftermath) transferred following the conversion. They did quite a bit of harm to the efforts of Shinra Inc by actively recruiting their core, which was basically their only competition during the summer of 2010. Although I'd vouch for Attain and Forcefaith, the guild definately had it's share of raging douchebags.

BoP was a transfer guild who came in mid-Wrath and went into hibernation after they'd had their run at the content, until Cata. They have since transferred off the server twice.

This year we've also had Illidan's Finest, who came here in 4.2 boasting that they'd get all the server firsts, then proceeded to actively recruit raid core and officers from any competing guild, collapsing a couple and doing harm to all. (Basically, they stalled the progression of the entire faction.)

When they failed to get their 25s core together as planned a few months later, the guild disbanded as a portion of their officers transferred back off, taking several of our faction raiding core with them (most came back shortly after). The remaining officers, who all in all may have been cast in a negative light due to the actions of their friends, again attempted to build a 25s core by forming Blues Clues using less subversive methods, but inevitably transferred back to Illidan by 4.3, again taking a portion of our native raid core. Any number tends to be significant for the Horde faction here; our recruitment pool is considerably smaller than that for our Alliance counterparts.

Fat Chance then stepped in to take their place. What they did to their core by ninja-transferring - and I will vouch for a number of those left behind as some of the most well-tempered, skilled players I've met in a while - is the single most vile act of douchebaggery I've yet seen in six years of playing, despite the revolving door Darrowmere Horde has become.

This crap should start winding down now, however; we're not even in the lower 50 anymore. Kudos to KM, and any raid guild on this backwater server that commits to the people who've made this place home.

They bring too much of the crap with them, then realize there's no one to recruit here and transferring didn't solve anything. Hasn't been one yet to transfer in with a strong, drama-free 10/25 team pre-built and ready to rush for firsts. Seriously doubt there will be for MoP.

It will be fun to laugh at the ones who try tho.

Hell yes.
Edited by Evigilo on 4/6/2012 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/06/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Evigilo

I like this guy.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
04/06/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Evigilo
This crap should start winding down now, however; we're not even in the lower 50 anymore. Kudos to KM, and any raid guild on this backwater server that commits to the people who've made this place home.

Agreed. Even if the guild I transferred here isn't around any more, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I'd rather make the best of it - the server is already better off than it was at the end of Wrath. I'm glad to see the guilds that are doing well do so, and hopefully they'll continue to do so, even if I'd rather mine were first. It's all in good fun though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Pretty much what Shae said, I like Darrowmere, I have fun here, I kill stuff... sometimes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Best Guild ever.......MYTHIC LOLOLOL
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]