Will of unbinding for disc?

100 Draenei Priest
Seems like it would be a pain to keep up, but I was wondering... any disc priests out there that have found success with it?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Its possible as AA/A spec, but the amount of concentration it takes to keep up both WoU and HoU buffs is not for 99% of people. Don't expect it to be easy. I've been able to do it on H.Madness, but without a lot of practice, expect either your WoU or HoU buff to fall off. On my best attempts I was at ~90% uptime on both trinkets (which accounts for travel time fall off, re-ramp up).

I will tell you though that Mind Sear on a friendly target will update both trinket buffs (which made DPS'ing bloods on P1-P5 very nice). Expect to have to weave in your dots/SW:D shield/PoM to refresh either buff when healing gets tricky. (which note to above poster: it does proc off dots, but only the initial cast of the dot [technicality])

Worth it? Yeah if you are willing to invest in the playstyle of WoU+HoU. But for 99% of the populace I'm sure they'd settle for 400 less Int with the security of not giving up GCD's for damage spells if they are in a crunch. (especially if they miss ><)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Int buffs everything, not just damage. 400+ Int, another healing CD, and the tiny bit of DPS to beat H.Madness enrage when its still progression. There are plenty of reasons to use it in a AA/A spec (esp on H.Madness, which was the 1 fight I was quoting for its use/benefits).
Edited by Chrollo on 3/17/2012 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
My point was that, to me, anytime a trinket requires you to stop focusing on your primary job - that's healing, btw - in order to keep it active, there's a problem. It's one thing if you're already going to be having stuff up. It's an entirely different issue if you have to hesitate before casting a potentially lifesaving spell because you're worried your trinket stacks might fall off. That is not a good place to be, ever.

Wow. Why would you ever hesitate in that situation. You make it sound as if I stated WoU stacks has more priority than healing someone. You also make it sound as if 90% of AA/A is just about the damage, which I find highly ironic seeing you are AA/A spec disc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/17/2012 11:54 PMPosted by Chrollo
You also make it sound as if 90% of AA/A is just about the damage, which I find highly ironic seeing you are AA/A spec disc.

From what I understood, Tiriel made no mention of the AA/A style of healing causing hesitation; only the possibility of losing that huge Intellect buff.
And that's my biggest problem with WoU for Disc. In order to heal for any length of time (through huge heavy damage), you have to let the stacks fall off. Which is a huge Intellect loss over a "normal" healing trinket when it really counts.
AA/A's merits come from being able to build stacks when it's appropriate to do so (having a long enough duration on Evangelism to stack over quite a bit of time, not to mention the stacking of said buff is not a full-stop on healing). Stacking WoU requires a noticeable fraction of your time spent DPSing rather than healing (depending on damage spell selection), which would be a decent trade-off if that time spent DPSing didn't have to coincide with heavy damage phases frequently.
Just my thoughts on why I don't particularly think of it as a good idea. If you make it work for you, then kudos.
Edited by Ashspike on 3/18/2012 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/17/2012 11:28 PMPosted by Chrollo
Yeah if you are willing to invest in the playstyle of WoU+HoU

That would be absolutely terrible. Not in terms of itemization, but in terms of stack management.

Tiriél and Ashspike, it would be perfectly reasonable to keep WoU stacked with nothing but Holy Fire, were the buff's duration ever so slightly longer. As it is, the buff cannot be maintained with Holy Fire alone. Casting Holy Fire on CD would be fine to do in high damage phases, as Holy Fire does a good amount of Atonement healing, but since it requires smite as well as Holy Fire, I don't see it as being worth it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I used it for a regular madness kill the week I got it, I had an 80% uptime, and it lowered the amount of healing I did considerably.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
HF, smite, pop AA and heal, HF on first CD, keep healing smite on the back end to keep the stacks and you've kept the stack while it mattered. :) BTW you can't control when the other trinkets process, its very possible that they don't proc at all when you need them. So blame those wipes on bad luck rather than skill. Why on earth would you trade a controllable buff for one that isn't?

Also don't forget you can gear away from spirit by having more intellect as disc. So you'll have a higher critical chance, better mastery, and more haste (except when they proc a haste trinket) than any other priest. And of course more raw spell/healing power.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Agreed with Tiriel. I personally think any healer trinket this EXPAC is better than Will of Unbinding for Disc.
If you're getting enough uptime on Will of Unbinding to actually make it worthwhile, you're smiting too much, period.

This is assuming non-gimmick fights obviously.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
04/07/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Tiriél
I just want you to know, Intrigue...that I have been trying to get that chestpiece for over a year. I hate you so much! >:|

Awww :( I've had fairly decent luck with Sunwell loot I guess. Hope it drops for you soon!
Also, I love transmog-envy far more than gear-envy. I'm such a girl. :/
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
Tahdah, transmog-envy :) immeral's main BTW.

Anyway I admit to not playing heroic difficulty DS but from just reading the mechanics the majority of the fights involve a dps debuff / buff that makes atonement healing amazing and it isn't something that should be ignored. IMO one disc priest healing with atonement would be amazing support for a heavy healing aoe healer. I never would suggest only atonement healing as the main healer and honestly I look at healing a lot like tanking with off-healers so to speak. If you have too much overhealing with your healers atonement is a great way to improve the healing efficiency. Let the Mega ape healers heal while atonement prevents the lowest people from dying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]