LFR mana issues

85 Draenei Priest
So I just did my first LFR, pretty awesome experience (although it felt rushed imo), and I couldn't help but notice that I was running OOM on most boss fights (mainly Madness and Yor'sahj).

Any tips to assist? Maybe my spell priorities are skewed (I prioritize CoH and PoH > PoM) and I also noticed I had low HPS (5-7k HPS throughout the raid) but I was 2nd-3rd in Healing. Does that mean that I'm over healing?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Same here. :\
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Don't worry about overhealing in lfr. If you had mana problems the other healers were probably not pulling their weight AT ALL.

Anyway, CoH and PoM on CD, PoH as filler basically. HW:Sanc on cd if the raid is stacked. Also fine a good time to Divine Hymn.

Use Inner Will if you're finding your mana is tight - it affect HW:Sanc along with all the other obvious instant casts.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I regularly clear 8/8 reg mode ds and 1 or 2 heroic fights as well (well, we're working on our second heroic boss still) and I STILL have mana issues in most LFR groups.

This is just because there are usually at least 3 healers that are either afk most the time or just really that bad. Please don't use LFR as a test of your skill. Use reg modes for that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I regularly clear 8/8 reg mode ds and 1 or 2 heroic fights as well (well, we're working on our second heroic boss still) and I STILL have mana issues in most LFR groups.

This is just because there are usually at least 3 healers that are either afk most the time or just really that bad. Please don't use LFR as a test of your skill. Use reg modes for that.

Haha, same here. I have more mana issues on Yor'sajh LFR than Heroic:Blackhorn.
:P
Though it is probably because I'm snipe healing and generally refusing to manage my mana. :\

@OP: 5-7k seems a bit low. What's your spell selection looking like?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
ive notuiced that times of lulz damage try to cast heal and spot heral untill aoe damage comes then hw:sanctuarty>POM>COH on CD>POH W/glyph> if i need to get a few ppl ie2=3 ppl up quick ill Flash heal flash heal GH.POH. once ya get some better gear itll get better and when other ppl dont want to heal in lfr youll have no problems :P
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
@Kiango

The 5k was posted after Hag, and honestly there was little to no damage on that fight. The 7k was posted after Zon'ozz I believe. There was no posted healing done on Yor'sahj but I feel I stepped up my game on that fight.

As I said in my OP, I focus on CoH and PoH mainly. I throw PoM when I notice melee taking damage and Sanc is used when there are enough toons (3-4) in the same general area.

I also throw out FHeals when there is a lot of damage going on and Divine Hymn is on CD.
Reply Quote
03/21/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Kiango
@OP: 5-7k seems a bit low. What's your spell selection looking like?

I did LFR last night on my druid, and honestly, I was being a bit lazy(not managing Harmony or Lifebloom...just WG and Rejuve spam....Yes, I know, I am in trouble) and unless damage was insane, I was doing about 7k consistently, and the top HPS was about 11k. My FPS was also tanked, so, it would have been higher had my FPS been better. Twice, on Ultrax and again on Warmaster, one of the priests(the only disc) died, and he was consistently in 2nd or 3rd. At that point, my HPS jumped to Easily 11k, everyone else's HPS jumped up a bit as well.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
@Wolfe If you're suggesting that I'm afk during the fights, you'd be wrong. I don't know why my HPS was low, and I didn't have my meter running to keep an on the go tracking of it.

I do know that I am healing players, but I don't know why I have such low HPS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
At this point you need to grab a couple of mana return trinkets. Your best bet right now would be the Core of Ripeness that you can get for justice points. 2nd, I'd get the Darkmoon card Tsunami IF you can afford it. IMO, they r both better than Reflection of the Light (Valor Trinket) and Mandala of Stirring Patterns (Tol Barad dalies Trinket) because I'd rather have static int vs int on use.
Also, use Innner Will until you get your mana use under control. Knowing how long the fight takes would also help because you can plan on useing Core of Ripeness (4-5 times), Shadowfiend (2-3 times) as well as Hymn of Hope twice during long fights like "Madness". A note on Fiend; he returns mana for every attack he does, so if you let him loose after someone pops "Hero", you will get even more mana back.
Remember the "5 second rule"; if you stop casting for 5 seconds you will regen mana "outside of combat" so you will get to use ALL of your spirit to regen mana and not just part of it. So try popping Core of Ripeness after 5 seconds of not casting and use a potion of concentration at the same time and watch ur mana fly up.
Good Luck!
Reply Quote
@Wolfe If you're suggesting that I'm afk during the fights, you'd be wrong. I don't know why my HPS was low, and I didn't have my meter running to keep an on the go tracking of it.

I do know that I am healing players, but I don't know why I have such low HPS.

That isn't what I was saying at all. Frankly, even with me being lazy, there simply wasn't ENOUGH damage going out for me to have much more HPS than that, and everyone else in that raid was in the same boat.

If your HPS is low, and you are going oom, but there is no wipe, then that generally means your healers are sniping each other and that some need to be cut. It isn't a reflection on the individual healers, per se, but on the raid itself.
Reply Quote
Remember the "5 second rule"; if you stop casting for 5 seconds you will regen mana "outside of combat" so you will get to use ALL of your spirit to regen mana and not just part of it. So try popping Core of Ripeness after 5 seconds of not casting and use a potion of concentration at the same time and watch ur mana fly up.

Actually, the 5 second rule is no longer in the game. There is IN combat regen, and Out of combat regen. The 5 second rule only applied to Casting, which is no longer part of combat regen anymore. Once you enter combat, you can only Get in combat regen until one of three things happens:
1) You die, in which case your regen goes to 0.
2) You kill whatever it was you were fighting, in which case your Out of comabt regen is activated.
3) You hearth/teleport/something that takes you out of range of the battle, this will result in the same thing as #2.

Stopping casting for 5 seconds will Only increase your mana regen by virtue of you no longer Expending mana, which is a given no matter what.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
On my Priest I do HW:Sanc and COH on cooldown, and POH for regular healing. I'm usually in the TOP 3 and I do not have any Mana problems at all... If tank is taking alot damage, ill throw POM and Renew on them. Otherwise that is my rotation.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Don't worry about overhealing in lfr. If you had mana problems the other healers were probably not pulling their weight AT ALL.

Anyway, CoH and PoM on CD, PoH as filler basically. HW:Sanc on cd if the raid is stacked. Also fine a good time to Divine Hymn.

Use Inner Will if you're finding your mana is tight - it affect HW:Sanc along with all the other obvious instant casts.

uh you do realize sanctuary is not an instant cast right and there for does not fall under the reduced mana cost of inner will. its a very fast cast but still a cast.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest

uh you do realize sanctuary is not an instant cast right and there for does not fall under the reduced mana cost of inner will. its a very fast cast but still a cast.

There was a bug at one point where Inner Will DID affect the mana cost of Holy Word: Sanctuary.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595378449

Not sure if that is still going on, but you never know.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
03/21/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Sallana
Not sure if that is still going on, but you never know.

It is effect by Mental Agility, which is a 10% mana cost reduction, and is also effected by Inner Will, which is a 15% mana cost reduction.
Edited by Malrius on 3/21/2012 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
OP-

Gear wise - I noticed you're still in a lot of blue gear (did you log out in pvp gear after doing bg's, or is that what you healed the raid in?), which means you're still pretty low on Spirit (You have almost half of what I have, actually). Holy Priest's mana regen is highly dependent on how much Spirit we have. Until you get better gear, your mana regen is going to be pretty abysmal in a raiding environment, where you're casting a lot of relatively high cost spells. As a personal preference, I like to keep my haste around 1000, but you don't even really need to go that high (I can never remember what the haste break point is. I think 12.5% raid buffed? Correct me if I'm wrong). After that I stack Mastery. But make sure you have Spirit on ALL of your items.

Also, never raid in pvp gear if you can help it...

Talent wise - You really don't need Blessed Resilience. If you're having mana issues, I recommend moving that point into Veiled Shadows in the Shadow Tree. See if you can squeeze another point into that as well (Probably from Darkness). This will allow you to use your Shadowfiend more often.

Glyph wise - Personally, I prefer having the Lightwell Glyph over Renew, because I don't find myself casting renew that often. This is especially true for LFR, where a majority of the healing going out is probably being taken care of before HoT's have a chance to do what they do best.

But like others have said, it's LFR. LFR is practically a healing snipefest. The healers with higher gear are always going to out perform you, the healers who have their aoe heals going nonstop (Healing Rain, Sanct, Efflo, lolpallyspam (I tease)) are generally going to out heal you. What matters the most, in my opinion, is the over-healing that's being done. When you're healing, try to predict when damage is going to happen, drop your sanct a few seconds before that, and then start your PoH and CoH once they start taking damage.
Edited by Akaeya on 3/21/2012 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
1. were you in your PVP gear?
2. were you in your PVP holy spec or your PVE disc spec?
3. if the answer to number two is disc, are you using skada or did you tell recount to merge heals and absorbs so that your real strength is counted as healing by that meter?

If not, don't worry about it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
might want to get more than 1700 spirit as holy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]