Prepping for LFR

90 Worgen Death Knight
Hi everyone! New to the forum but I thought I'd ask away, seeing as how everyone is pretty friendly here.

I'm working towards readying myself for the LFR difficulty of Dragon Soul, and would welcome any tips and pointers as far as my equipment and talents, as well as general feedback as to whether my current set is sufficient for off-tank or main tank duties.

I'm very close to Exalted with Therazane, and I'll switch to the Greater shoulder enchant at that point. Also, I have a couple of other enchants to pick up once I farm gold for them (gloves - greater mastery, boots - lavawalker); that should all be done this week.

I'm stockpiling resources to craft the level 397 bracers, and am planning to farm Valor Points for the three jewelry slots that can't be filled with drops from the raid itself. Do I have to wait until I've got all that done (another three weeks or so)?

Finally, I'm at a loss as to why my Parry is so much higher than my Dodge - in terms of raw stats I've tried to keep them very close. Any help on that would be great.

Thanks again everyone!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
You could do LFR with your eyes closed and hands tied behind your back. Don't need good gear or any knowledge of what you are doing. It's a basic loot pinata.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
have 372 gear.

Push buttons at least once every 2s, preferably 1.5s.

Spec into VB, drop resilience infection.... which does literally nothing in raid.

I kind of want to choke you out for not having it.

Glyph Death Strike.

Finally, I'm at a loss as to why my Parry is so much higher than my Dodge - in terms of raw stats I've tried to keep them very close. Any help on that would be great.

Rune of Swordshattering throws % off, Strength gives parry rating while only dodge purely gives dodge rating.

You want to balance the parry/dodge ratings as your last reforge effort, after you min/max mastery. The gain from evening out your D/P is going to be small, possibly in the realm of .1 or less gain. (Belt - Parry To dodge, wrists dodge to mastery, neck parry to dodge, helm parry to dodge, those should bring them very close)

TL;DR
SPEC VAMPIRIC BLOOD WTF
Edited by Asane on 3/20/2012 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
You're more than fine. The best thing that will help you succeed in there is knowing the boss fights. Ultraxion and Madness are the two that you absolutely have to know, or else you risk wiping the raid.

In terms of maximizing stats, balancing parry/dodge isn't very important. However, the main problem with your gear is the lack of reforging. Any item without mastery should be reforged to mastery. After that's accomplished, reforge towards dodge if possible. Because the overall balance of parry and dodge isn't important, whenever you have an item with both parry and dodge on it, you'll want to reforge the higher of the two to mastery, ignoring the fact that you may be making your ratios worse in the process.

Also try to replace that trinket, obviously. Fire of the Deep is an excellent choice if you have VP to spend.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Joking aside, as a tank you'll want to know the fights and all it's mechanics(including which ones aren't there in LFR). You will not be treated well if you screw up.

Your setup is less than optimal but it doesn't matter for LFR. You do want to spec into VB though.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The biggest thing I'd suggest, is to prepare yourself mentally. People in LFR will make you wanna pull your hair out.

Also, as long as you go in with the "I'm here to see DW get his !@#$ kicked and pick up my free VP" mentality, it's not so bad. Seeing the amount of fail out there can be pretty entertaining if you don't take this game too seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Thanks for all the responses!

Wait... what? I don't have Vampiric blood in my talent tree!? Wow... facepalm moment. I guess it's been too long since I re-did my talents. Definately going to fix that!

Strength increases Parry - okay, that would completely explain the disparity here, so I'll just reforge the heck out of everything until the numbers are closer.

I have a couple of pieces that have no mastery - I'll reforge those. However I don't have and resiliance on me at all, so I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, Asane... also, the glyph of Death strike increases the move's power based on runic power but I always keep RP very low by spamming Rune Strike and dancing Rune Weapons, so... but yeah, I need to re-vamp my glyphs since i don't actually use dieases as much as I thought I was going to when I set this all up.

I assume it's Varothen's Brooch that needs replacing? I was planning on picking up a Pit Fighter if I can swing it becasue it gives stamina instead of strength but has the same Mastery proc, however I'll also look into Fire of the Deep. I'm trying to avoid spending VP on items that get replaced by drops from Dragon Soul, but I'm not all that excited about Indomitable Pride anyway due to its not-so-useful shield mechanic.

And yes, I've been studying the guides like crazy in terms of boss and trash strategy and also reading about all the fails and griefing (not looking forward to that). Oh well, wish me luck!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Resilient infection is an unholy talent, it's useless in PVE settings. I accidentally called it resilience infection because of how often I type that word.

Fire of the Deep won't be replaced, trust me, it's a keeper.

Glyphed Deathstrike is a higher dps increase than heart strike even if you're using constant rune strikes. (I think it's the 2nd highest single target glyph for tanks, behind Paladin's Seal of Vengeance expertise glyph)

If you've studied the bosses, you're several steps ahead, just pickup VB (And I'd suggest also improved blood tap), and play with your forges a bit more.

Should do fine.
Edited by Asane on 3/21/2012 4:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Strength increases Parry - okay, that would completely explain the disparity here, so I'll just reforge the heck out of everything until the numbers are closer.
Reread my post. Reforge items with both dodge and parry for maximum mastery. The effect of DR on your avoidance is really, really minor in the grand scheme of things; getting more mastery is much better. Your bracers, relic, and second ring should all be reforged dodge -> mastery.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
The biggest thing I'd suggest, is to prepare yourself mentally. People in LFR will make you wanna pull your hair out.

Also, as long as you go in with the "I'm here to see DW get his !@#$ kicked and pick up my free VP" mentality, it's not so bad. Seeing the amount of fail out there can be pretty entertaining if you don't take this game too seriously.

This has been the one and only thing that has tempted me to ever try LFR...I do so enjoy a good train wreck. I haven't been tempted quite enough yet, but perhaps sometime I'll tap the Record button and queue up.

@ OP...ignore everything that occurs when you are not in combat. You'll have fun that way. And as any real gamer will tell you, in the end that's what really matters.
Edited by Audience on 3/21/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Your gear is just fine for the Raid Finder. Heck, it's adequate for Normal, if you play well and hit your cooldowns at the right time. I'd take you.

Here's what you have to know as a tank in there:

Morchok: He puts a debuff stack on you. Taunt off the other tank when yours falls off. Or, don't. It doesn't hurt much. Run away or use Death Knight survival skills to survive the black phase.

Zon'ozz: Face the boss toward the raid until he starts to launch the ball. Then, face the boss away from the raid so he doesn't hit anyone but you with Psychic Drain. Repeat after the black phase. If you're clever enough to watch timers, hit a cooldown before Psychic Drain. It stings. Only one tank is required on the boss. If that's not you, chase the ball around and stand on the thing to make it explode a lot. Doing this greatly increases the damage the boss takes.

Yor'sahj.: He puts a stacking debuff on you. Taunt off the other tank when your stack falls off. Or, don't. It doesn't do too much damage. You can't tank the adds, so don't try. If you see a Mana Void (big blue ball) use Death Grip to yank the Mana Void on top of the boss.

Hagara: Your most important job: When she does Focused Assault, run away by strafing sideways. She interrupts herself when she has to take a step. When she does her ice phase, run to the edge and watch the ice spike waves very carefully. Run away from them clockwise. You'll look like an idiot if you let them touch you and kill you. When she does her lightning phase, run to the NORTH and tank the elemental that appears there.

Ultraxion: When you get Fading Light, wait until you have four seconds or less on the debuff, then hit your Heroic Will button, or you die. When the other tank gets Fading Light, taunt ASAP. Also hit Fading Light for Hour of Twilight.

Warmaster Blackhorn: THere are three waves of melee elites. Each wave has two elites. Swap off between them. Say, for the first wave, take a Dreadblade. Second wave, take a Slayer. Third wave, take a Dreadblade again (or vice-versa). Face the Dreadblade away from the raid, because it cleaves. Stack your target on the other elite or a drake to make the damage-dealers love you. Do stand in the big purple swirlies, so melee follows you there. The boss himself has a stacking debuff (Sunder Armor). Taunt off the other tank when yours falls off. Tank the boss near the front right corner, so ranged can be near enough to him to dodge Shockwave while they hit Goriana.

Spine of Deathwing: You'll tank either the Bloods or the Amalgamations. Try to get Bloods the first time you do this fight. If you've got bloods, just tank and kill them about 25 yards back from the front plate. If you've got Amalgamations, wait until they pop out of dead tentacles, then tank them up against the front plate. When the Amalgamation is at 15% health or so, and there are nine dead bloods on the "ground", drag the Amalgamation over the bloods until it's at nine stacks, blow a cooldown, and take it back to the front plate to die. When it starts casting Nuclear Blast, run away to the back. Do this three times and win. Don't attack the tentacles.

Madness of Deathwing: At the start of platforms 1-4, move to the back. Tank the Mutated Corruption tentacle. Blow a cooldown when it casts Impale on you. Taunt when it casts Impale on the other tank (there should be only two Impales, but just in case). Tank the Regenerating Bloods when they appear. Drag them into the raid to get people's attention. Help kill the Blistering Tentacles on the fourth platform. On Phase 2 ("fifth platform"), help kill the Elementium Fragment tentacles, then tank one of the two Elementium Terror adds. Tank one of them. You'll get a stacking debuff called "tetanus" that can actually kill you, and so will the other tank. Drag your add to the yellow bubble to make it stack more slowly, and mark your add with a skull. Use anti-magic shell to clear the debuff if it gets too nasty. If your add is dead and your stacks are clear, taunt the other one off the other tank to give him a break. You'll get two waves of Terrors, then the boss will die. You get a big green 50% damage reduction button on platforms 1 and 5. Use it for Impale and Tetanus.

Oh, and your next Valor purchase is Stoutheart Talisman. It's best-in-slot and cheap. Then, the trinket, neck, and ring. Get someone to sell you Valor (BoE) boots and maybe bracers (the crafted bracers are a little better, yes). You can also get crafted legs which are a solid choice.
Edited by Kathucka on 3/21/2012 9:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
WOW! Thanks so much Kathucka for the excellent guide - I'm going to print that and have it at my side for quick reference as I go along.

The Stoutheart Talisman is definately on the short list of VP purchases (but I wanted to get the cloak and belt first since those yield more stat points per Valor Point). The crafted bracers are BiS - I only two more Essences of Destruction before I have enough mats for the guild smithie to make them for me. The crafted legs I'm holding on for the moment - since they're not BiS, if I can avoid the approximately 10K expense, I will.

All right, at this point I've reforged Mastery on every piece I have (using Expertise first, then Parry), and if a piece already had Mastery I reforged Parry to Dodge. I've completely re-done my talent tree and glyphs (although I'm missing the Blood Tap glyph since there weren't any on the AH today). I'm already looking forward to the performance increase from adding Vampiric Blood and Blood Tap into my rotation!

So... now how does it all look? Thanks to everyone for your helpful feedback! =)
Edited by Ripshred on 3/21/2012 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
You went for an exp bonus in your helm gem

Gloves, switch to 50 mastery or pref the much more expensive 65 mastery

nothing else too major besides thngs you've already mentioned working on... You're actually ready for real DS, not just LFR if you have the confidence and competence.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Oh, yes... I used a Fine Amberjewel instead of a Fractured one in the helm because... well... not having the bonus... bothered me. Sorry, that's just the way I am.

And yes, as soon as I farm 2400G I'm getting Greater Mastery for the gloves and Lavawalker for the boots. Tonight I'll get exalted with Therazane for the shoulder enchant too.
Reply Quote
86 Orc Shaman
Since your gloves are 378 I'd just stick with the cheaper 50 mastery enchant for now. It'd save you 800-ish gold according to undermine journal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/21/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Ripshred
Oh, yes... I used a Fine Amberjewel instead of a Fractured one in the helm because... well... not having the bonus... bothered me. Sorry, that's just the way I am.

It's fine. Tanks are expected to do damage (not just survive), and expertise helps with that.

Go ahead and hit the Raid Finder as soon as you have the time. You're good to go, assuming you know all the Death Knight tanking tricks. (...which I do not...but they sure heal themselves a lot.) Let us know how it works out for you.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
03/21/2012 05:23 PMPosted by Ripshred
All right, at this point I've reforged Mastery on every piece I have (using Expertise first, then Parry), and if a piece already had Mastery I reforged Parry to Dodge.
Please read my posts. :(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
=( But I did, Corpsetwo! I took you very seriously, and reforged every piece I have so as to include some Mastery on all of them. The only choice I made that was a little different from your advice was to sometimes forge out Parry instead of Dodge, even if using Dodge would have given me more Mastery, because from what I've read 15% dodge is nice but still farily low avoidance.

If I run some instances and my blood shields seem too small, I'll re-forge again. =)
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Death Knight
=( But I did, Corpsetwo! I took you very seriously, and reforged every piece I have so as to include some Mastery on all of them. The only choice I made that was a little different from your advice was to sometimes forge out Parry instead of Dodge, even if using Dodge would have given me more Mastery, because from what I've read 15% dodge is nice but still farily low avoidance.

If I run some instances and my blood shields seem too small, I'll re-forge again. =)

Generally speaking, forge for the most mastery, then do parry/dodge balance, it's seriously a very very low priority point unless you're extremely off with the ratings.

You can never have too big a blood shield, until you start hitting the cap often (cap = 100% of your maximum health)
Edited by Lostaroll on 3/22/2012 1:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

Diminishing returns on the dodge/parry are really minor. Very, very minor. I'd be more than happy to do the math for you, but the math will end up saying something like "parry is 99.6% as valuable as dodge" or, if you reforged all your gear to parry: "with that enormous dodge/parry difference, parry is 98.5% as valuable as dodge." Seriously, it's not much.

Compare that to mastery. Mastery is somewhere around twice as valuable as avoidance? 2.5x more valuable? Even more than that? Either way, it's good. Really good.

Diminishing returns on avoidance is so minor, and the effect of simply getting more mastery on your gear is so massive that lowering your potential mastery, even if it's to balance out your dodge/parry ratio, is not a good idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]