Glyph of Demon Hunting (warlock tanks)?

90 Human Warlock
Glyph of Demon Hunting - Demonic Fury now reduces damage taken instead of increasing damage dealt. In addition, while using Metamorphosis, Soulshatter taunts your target, Twilight Ward will absorb all schools of damage and Demonic Slash is shorter range and generates fury.

Could... could this be? Is this real life?

Does this mean Warlocks bare the ability to... TANK? I would like more details but my little brain is doing this:

-Less damage taken + Taunt + Twilight Ward (absorbs all) = Tank type things
-Metamorph at level 10, does not say a time limit, assumed it lasts forever (like druid forms)
-Metamorphosis nether plating at level 27, gives 600% armor, 6% crit reduction, and 50% snare reduction
-The glyph provides a threat bonus

Spec (level 45 can be changed): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/talent-calculator#VZ!022220

Can I get more info on this? :D

A lot of information about the warlock abilities as a tank: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4246995300?page=15#299

Video in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGgi341JXQo

Edit: Another long thread! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4246995377?page=1

Edit 2: A well written post:

Demo locks now have a resource called Demonic Fury, which they spend while transformed into Metamorphosis (which now doesn't have a requirement or CD, you can transform whenever). Abilities cast while in meta form do a lot more damage and cost Demonic Fury. The Demo lock's mastery is also important:

Master Demonologist
Increases the Demonic Fury bonus by X%.

Increases the damage done by your demon servants by X%.

The damage you deal while transformed into a demon is increased by X%.
Anyways, keeping that in mind, here are the relevant abilities:

Metamorphosis - You transform into a Demon, increasing the benefit of Demonic Fury by 200% and allows the use of various demonic abilities.
This grants access to:

Demonic Leap - A basic leap, allows mobility, like a Warrior tank's charge
Metamorphosis: Nether Plating (Passive) -While using Metamorphosis, your armor contribution from items increases by 600%, the chance you'll be critically hit by melee attacks is reduced by 6% and the duration of stun and snare effects is reduced by 50%.
Demonic Slash: Tears at the enemy, instantly dealing X Shadow damage.
Metamorphosis: Carrion Swarm (Passive) - While using Metamorphosis, your Shadowflame spell now costs Demonic Fury, interrupts spellcasting and knocks enemies away from you.
Metamorphosis: Immolation Aura (Passive) - While using Metamorphosis, your Hellfire spell now no longer deals damage to you and does not need to be channelled.
Aura of Enfeeblement (Metamorphosis) - Binds all enemies within 20 yards in demonic energy, reducing physical damage by 30% and increasing the casting time of all spells by 30%. Lasts 30 sec.

Now here's the important part; there's a glyph that gives these changes:

Glyph of Demon Hunting
Demonic Fury now reduces damage taken instead of increasing damage dealt.
In addition, while using Metamorphosis, Soulshatter taunts your target, Twilight Ward will absorb all schools of damage and Demonic Slash is shorter range and generates fury.
In addition to the above effects, it's also been verified that the warlock receives a standard tank threat bonus while using the glyph.

This means that:
1. The warlock now has enough damage mitigation to tank (Demonic Fury bonus stated in the glyph, which scales with the warlock's Mastery mentioned earlier).
2. The warlock now has a standard taunt (which is a real taunt, it puts you at the top of the aggro table and replaces your threat with whoever was top).
3. The warlock has an additional magic cooldown in the form of twilight ward.
4. The warlock can permanently stay in Meta and still be able to use abilities, by using Demonic Slash (which is a spammable filler spell) to generate Demonic Fury.
5. The warlock has a threat bonus, and thus can hold aggro.

Along with the 600% armor and crit immunity from Meta, this makes a properly glyphed and specced Demo lock an extremely powerful tank. Even though they can't get extra dodge/parry, the lock would have the highest mitigation of any tank in the game. However, that's not all. There are other abilities/glyphs/talents which would further improve a Demo tanking spec.

Here are some of the basic cool downs every Demo tank would have:

Twilight Ward - Absorbs X magic damage

Unending Resolve - The Warlock hardens his skin, reducing all damage taken by 50% and preventing his spells from being interrupted for 12 sec.

Dark Soul: Knowledge - Your soul is infused with demonic knowledge, increasing your Mastery by 30 for 20 sec. (30 Mastery would be a TON of mitigation)
And here are some possible talents for a Demo tank:

Dark Regeneration - Restores 50% max health and increases healing taken by 25%
OR
Harvest Life - Drains the life from all enemies within 15 yards of the target, causing X Shadow damage and restoring 4% of the caster's total health every 1 sec. Lasts 6 sec.

Soul Link- Passive mitigation
OR
Sacrificial Pact- Your demon sacrifices half its current health to shield its master for 300% of the sacrificed health. Lasts 10 sec. If you have no demon, your health is sacrificed instead. (Amazing CD. Currently it has no CD, but that could obviously change. It could either be paired with a high-health Voidwalker/Voidlord, or as the tooltip states, you could use it on your OWN health, giving you 1.5x your max health as a bubble, in exchange for half your health as damage. In that second case, it could be paired with the below Grimoire of Sacrifice for even greater benefit.)
OR
Dark Bargain- Prevents all damage for 10 seconds, then deals 50% of said damage over 20 seconds (much like the stay of execution trinket)

Grimoire of Supremacy - Allows the lock to summon improved versions of their demons. Somebody mentioned that the improved Voidwalker comes with an improved threat aura, I'll have to look this up to verify. However, the improved Voidwalker would definitely have more health, which would help with the above Sacrificial pact ability.
OR
Grimoire of Sacrifice - Allows you to sacrifice your demon permanently, giving you increased damage, and more importantly increased health.

Archimonde's Vengance - All enemies receive 5% of the damage they do to you. You can activate this ability to increase the amount to 30% for 10 sec, and then the passive amount goes away until the ability is off cooldown. This could do a LOT of damage if you're tanking.
But there's more! Here's one more glyph that could help a bit:
Glyph of Demon Training - Improves your demon's special abilities:
Reduces your Imp's Firebolt cast time by 50%.
Increases your Voidwalker's total health by 20%. This is the important one. It scales the above Sacrificial Pact ability.
Your Succubus's Seduction ability also removes all damage over time effects from the target.
When your Felhunter uses Devour Magic, you will also be healed for that amount.
Increases the number of targets hit by your Felguard's Legion Strike by 1
So there it is. This doesn't even go over all the awesome AoE and single target abilities a Demo lock already has, so a Demo tank should also do considerable amounts of damage.

Please, Blizzard. Please don't let this spec die in beta. Somehow, let it make it through. It's all I ask for.
Edited by Sasofrass on 3/24/2012 11:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Keep dreaming.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
:O
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
FINALLY!!!

Rise up, demon sympathizers! We TANK NOW!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
If they were to do this without reviving the concept of Shaman being able to clutch tank, I'd facepalm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/22/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Awanii
Off tanking at least, yes. But without a really good stat dump for damage mitigation, it's just offtanking.

Not if mastery still increases the damage done, which would also reduce damage taken!

:O!!!!
Reply Quote
41 Gnome Priest
I would play a lock if that was true.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Glyph of Dispersion - Dispersion will now last for 5 minutes and will taunt all surrounding enemies.

Priest TANKING
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I don't think people would be comfortable with me tanking.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
FINALLY!!!

Rise up, demon sympathizers! We TANK NOW!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I HAVE A DREAM.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/22/2012 05:47 AMPosted by Killercaitie
I don't think people would be comfortable with me tanking.

Who cares, you are a warlock and you do whatever the hell you want!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I refuse to let a warlock tank anything for me. I'll leave the moment I see one trying to grab adds. Of course I'm heals, so I'm pretty sure things wouldn't go too well for him after that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
When did they put warlocks back in the game?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I am really excited, I hope this to be true. I really, really hope this to be true. Blizzard, let us know, this is like awaiting the season finale of the walking dead Q_Q.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Sounds like PvP talents, definitely not PvE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]