Glyph of Demon Hunting (warlock tanks)?

87 Worgen Priest
yeah it's a bit of a donut hole in Demo Tank mitigation. 1-59 and 80-90 seem to be fin. but 60-79....?
on the other hand, since most stanks won't be 'raiding' level 60-79, they won't really need Dark Bargains. This gives them the choice of either Sacrificial Pact or Soul Link at level 45 which are really very very good talents for tanks and might be sufficient for Random Dungeon Finder from level 45 to level 79 until mastery kicks in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/23/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Mamaraksha
yeah it's a bit of a donut hole in Demo Tank mitigation. 1-59 and 80-90 seem to be fin. but 60-79....?
on the other hand, since most stanks won't be 'raiding' level 60-79, they won't really need Dark Bargains. This gives them the choice of either Sacrificial Pact or Soul Link at level 45 which are really very very good talents for tanks and might be sufficient for Random Dungeon Finder from level 45 to level 79 until mastery kicks in.

That is a true point, Soul Link for the 25% damage transfer + 600% armor is probably enough mitigation until level 80.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Warlocks' friendly fire stats on recount are gonna shoot through the roof!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
03/23/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Mamaraksha
Well, who's not to say a warlock can't reforge all their Crit/Haste into dodge/parry? :P

oh well, yes there is reforging, but i was really discussing the role of secondary stats while leveling. Reforging can only be done after level 80 on ilvl items above a certain threshold.

Narv was saying that Demo-tanks might only be end game tanks because they rely on mastery. I said mastery is not really necessary before level 80. That Tanks can use dodge and parry at low levels but don't really need to.

I suppose that at higher levels, Demo tanks will reforge all their crit and haste into Mastery and dodge the same way that Bear Tanks do. If Demonic slash and their auto-attacks are magical attacks and not a melee attacks they won't need expertise either, and if they don't have the ability to parry (like bear tanks don't parry) they won't reforge into parry either.

You raised a good point... That other tanks want mastery too buy cant get it.. I was thinking of other stats like dodge party but they don't really even have "tank" gear low levels anymore... Was just thinking out loud.. I guess we can't really know until people accept that lock tanks exist and play with them to see how well they balance out.. But I do like how there are a couple different tank "styles" that you can play on the lock.. For example.. You could sacc your demon for the hp / damage self buff.. Or soul link say your imp who now has his dispel auto cast able on you and the improved imp has a sorta heal too.. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out and tests
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
If you get those, I want a healing spell and the ability to wear plate.
Reply Quote
70 Orc Warlock
I didn't give a damn about MoP until reading this.

MAKE.

IT.

HAPPEN.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
So can warlocks even queue as tanks I wonder? I suspect not and the glyph will be totally for walk ins, raiding, general play. It just seems unlikely they would allow it of the bat when it's completely reliant on having the glyph AND not to mention the large spread of levels to get important tanking skills.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/23/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Cogspoke
So can warlocks even queue as tanks I wonder? I suspect not and the glyph will be totally for walk ins, raiding, general play. It just seems unlikely they would allow it of the bat when it's completely reliant on having the glyph AND not to mention the large spread of levels to get important tanking skills.

As of right now, warlocks are unable to queue up as a tank.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Blizz will probably let us que in MOP if this goes through. Please let lock tanks happen!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Warlock tanks! Do it, Blizzard! Surely we've been evil enough to deserve it!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
inb4 'y no shaman tanks blizz'
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Priest
03/23/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Kataclyzmik
inb4 'y no shaman tanks blizz'

no you missed it
that was pages back
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
So can warlocks even queue as tanks I wonder? I suspect not and the glyph will be totally for walk ins, raiding, general play. It just seems unlikely they would allow it of the bat when it's completely reliant on having the glyph AND not to mention the large spread of levels to get important tanking skills

I suspect the Glyph is just being used for beta testing.

If they decide that the experiment is viable they can alter the spec and reshuffle the skills to make tanking effects baseline and put core tanking skills (e.g taunt) at the correct levels. there are innumerable way they could fix this to make it viable. A glyph is just convenient for the purpose of experimentation.
Edited by Erinnys on 3/23/2012 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Another thing they might do; Druids got the feral tree split up into two specs for MoP, feral (cat) and guardian (bear). It would be possible for them to make a DPS demonology spec, and a tank demonology spec.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
03/23/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Sasofrass
As of right now, warlocks are unable to queue up as a tank.

It's Beta, and Demo never tanked, really tanked, before. So, that doesn't mean much.

They are prob testing and adjusting. That glyph would be worthless if it was just a "situational off-tank" glyph. Pointless to have another rockbitter shaman around. So, we can either expect the glyph to be removed, be worthless or warlocks will really tank and be able to queue as tanks.

If they decide that the experiment is viable they can alter the spec and reshuffle the skills to make tanking effects baseline and put core tanking skills (e.g taunt) at the correct levels. there are innumerable way they could fix this to make it viable. A glyph is just convenient for the purpose of experimentation.

Not really. They have shown their desire to make glyphs choices as well, something that is meaningful. I would expect to have both DPS and Tank of Demo. The glyph works quite well. The problem might be the numbers, how dps is done and damage is mitigated because of the mastery. So, they might simply split different numbers for mastery.
Reply Quote
03/23/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Erinnys
So can warlocks even queue as tanks I wonder? I suspect not and the glyph will be totally for walk ins, raiding, general play. It just seems unlikely they would allow it of the bat when it's completely reliant on having the glyph AND not to mention the large spread of levels to get important tanking skills

I would concur. That's a lot of weight to hinge on a single glyph. Also, that means a warlock tank is out 1 glyph because they had to use one just to "be" a tank. This may be balanced against, but something to consider.

I'm sure they've learned their lesson with DKs trying to let the same spec be viable for dps as for tanking that it's a nightmare to balance. I'm guessing if they like Demo Tanking, they just make Demo a tank spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/23/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Thefates

I would concur. That's a lot of weight to hinge on a single glyph. Also, that means a warlock tank is out 1 glyph because they had to use one just to "be" a tank. This may be balanced against, but something to consider.

I'm sure they've learned their lesson with DKs trying to let the same spec be viable for dps as for tanking that it's a nightmare to balance. I'm guessing if they like Demo Tanking, they just make Demo a tank spec.
As of right now, the glyph is proving itself to be very powerful as regards to tanking, and demonology dps is still staying as a competitive dps class.

I still have high hopes for the glyph, as things do appear to be working out with it. But, with more testing, we will see what will happen with it!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
I am extremely excited by this addition. I played around with it last night and in a 4 man group I was able to tank H-End time and H-Well of Eternity without any problems as far as controlling mobs or the boss. The part where we ran into a road block is where Locks aren't being counted as tanks by NPC mobs so Queen Azshara repeatedly MC'd me and it was too difficult to target the Hand that needs to die to restore player control.

The look of this and the feel of this addition is amazing. Keep your green fire and let me have this demo-tank ability :) If this is an indication of anything it is that they are really looking to see what resonates within the community and the beta as far as changes go. With this glyph and a demo-tank ability, there is no doubt in my mind that I will continue to subscribe and participate in World of Warcraft.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
03/23/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Starkwen
Another thing they might do; Druids got the feral tree split up into two specs for MoP, feral (cat) and guardian (bear). It would be possible for them to make a DPS demonology spec, and a tank demonology spec.

I would agree, but there's two things that I think will be the reasons to keep the glyph.

One, because the other spec will be a copy/paste of Demonology. Will be pointless to have those when, in the end, is the same thing. Warlocks would change the glyph out of combat as they change to their off-spec.

And two, because it's a glyph, the Tank and DPS aspects of Demonology are completely separated. The intention of the glyph is to blow up your DPS, keeping the very similar mechanics to help mitigate damage, instead of doing more damage.

The problem with Feral is that, on this new talent system, they would give all talents to the druid instantly, so they would be Tanks and DPS at the same time, would need but a global to become the best tank or best dps, which is absurdly op. The glyph keeps both separated. It won't be different from change specs out of combat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]