Glyph of Demon Hunting (warlock tanks)?

90 Draenei Shaman
I've been a supporter of Metamorphosis Tanks since Meta came out. I particularly like the idea of doing it with a glyph: Demonology-as-Damager fans don't give up anything.

Strongly hope Demon Hunting survives Beta
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
No! I don't want to become an overpopulated class!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Also, how would we maintain aggro, with DoTs? Our spells would keep being interrupted.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/24/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Throlex
Also, how would we maintain aggro, with DoTs? Our spells would keep being interrupted.

Watch the video on the first page of this thread, they have many abilities and melee attack abilities for threat.

Also, the glyph adds 500% threat, meaning threat isn't a problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I have a question though. I have seen on the beta forums that a person wouldn't mind them tanking for 5 mans but was refuting having them in raids.

Would Blizz do that, do you think--make them only viable for 5 mans and not raids? What would be the point of that?
Edited by Krinstlach on 3/24/2012 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
68 Gnome Rogue
here's to hoping blizzard finally gives demo tanks a shot
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I've never been able to get into the feel of destro spec, now it's a definite goodbye.

It should be interesting, I wonder how our pets will tie into aggro management.

03/22/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Arshia
Twlight ward likely will scale with spell power and int. Not to mention there are MANY abilities that add health and mitigation in the warlock's skills. They'd be like a more magical DK.
Twilight Ward is not avoidance. if a DK only had blood shield for their mitigation they would be a very bad tank. So, like I said. No avoidance = not a tank. This stuff sounds like a mix of questing, situational and pvp talents. Not a dedicated tree. Until they state, clearly, it will be a dedicated tanking tree you're reading too much into it.

It's like being a druid that has the possibly for their bear form to expire. Not to mention all mitigation and no avoidance does not a tank make; and mitigation needs to have some check for pvp

Damage mitigation is nothing new for a tanking spec, prot paladins/warriors, blood dks are all hard to kill, we will be too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Another fun video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onC9PLa2Vac
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/24/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Throlex

Well if our ability to live as a tank comes from mitigation CDs, then people will need to learn how to use them.

I can't see the pre existing tanking community flocking to try out the new tanking class.

I can see lock tanks becoming a fotm spec for a while. I'm seriously hoping this doesn't turn into a repeat of the vengeance fiasco. But it does seem the glyph should keep our damage in reasonable tank levels.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
If this is true then I take back all my rage and complaints about warlocks getting completely reworked AGAIN.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'm looking forward to demon tanking! it's a long time overdue for this! and I want to have a permanent demon mode for PVP use! it wouldnt be overpowered since a good warlock would still need to be aware of the things they're doing. I could imagine being the FC and burning ferals down.

blizz needs to gimp frenzied regen to only regen 20% base health, nothing more.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/24/2012 07:53 AMPosted by Alysandra
How will the LFD/LFR queue differentiate between Demonology dps and tanking though?

Just as it doesn't differentiate between a dk trying to tank in unholy spec, or a warrior using berserker stance
Reply Quote
70 Orc Warlock
What is the level requirement of the glyph?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/24/2012 12:46 PMPosted by Antipath
What is the level requirement of the glyph?

I assume it will be around the same level you get metamorphosis, around level 10.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
This makes me SO HAPPY. I've loved the Demonology spec since Vanilla, and my warlock has been my favorite toon for years. The only thing I haven't liked is that we're a "pure" class. Classes with more flexibility can be a lot more rewarding, and have more of the game available to them. The option to tank in Metamorphosis would be the best thing to happen in WoW since sliced bread!
Reply Quote
19 Human Paladin
I guess they weren't joking when they said they'd show Warlocks some love this expansion, christ.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
so warlocks will be able to queue as tanks?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
03/22/2012 05:55 AMPosted by Ailara
Sounds like PvP talents

03/22/2012 05:36 AMPosted by Sasofrass
while using Metamorphosis, Soulshatter taunts your target

?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/24/2012 12:26 PMPosted by Steinherz

Well if our ability to live as a tank comes from mitigation CDs, then people will need to learn how to use them.

I can't see the pre existing tanking community flocking to try out the new tanking class.

I can see lock tanks becoming a fotm spec for a while. I'm seriously hoping this doesn't turn into a repeat of the vengeance fiasco. But it does seem the glyph should keep our damage in reasonable tank levels.

Beta's only been live for a few days so obviously things are still highly subject to change, but Metamorphosis already grants a lot of base damage mitigation even without the Glyph. With the Glyph it provides even more, plus a threat modifier.

The cooldowns and talents are just tools. I'd be more inclined to take the AoE life drain in the first tier of talents, personally, at least based on current degrees of mitigation.As for how the pet affects it, currently the pet of choice appears to be Voidlord, which has a passive threat aura that increases your ability to hold aggro even further.

Of course, you could conceivably also contribute to CC yourself by using the Shivarra's mesmerize.
Reply Quote
42 Undead Rogue
I have a question though. I have seen on the beta forums that a person wouldn't mind them tanking for 5 mans but was refuting having them in raids.

Would Blizz do that, do you think--make them only viable for 5 mans and not raids? What would be the point of that?
Just to give us a little utility or to off tank if needed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]