Glyph of Demon Hunting (warlock tanks)?

85 Troll Druid
03/22/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Killercaitie
the more I read, the more excited I get.

Calm down. If you get excited, Blizzard will crush your dreams in the most horrid way possible.

Trust me.
heh
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
It depends on how much health Grimoire of Sacrifice gives you. If it's a lot, I might not want to use a demon at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Warlock Tank spec would be amusing... and really, if there would be a spec where this was doable, it'd be the one where you turn into a big frickin' demon!

Problem is that they'd have to make sure you can't DPS and Tank, let alone switch between so easily. After all, that's partly why Druids now get FOUR talent trees... so that Feral Cats can't really tank so well, and Guardian Druids won't be able to DPS.

Now if they wanna shake things up... I'd say they should go for it. While they're at it, make Unholy DKs plate spellcasters so that Int Plate won't be auto-disenchant unless you have a Holy Paladin with the group. (WC2 DKs were casters in reanimated Knight corpses, it is feasible to bring a sect of them back methinks.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/22/2012 05:55 AMPosted by Ailara
Sounds like PvP talents, definitely not PvE.
Glyph of Demon Hunting - Demonic Fury now reduces damage taken instead of increasing damage dealt. In addition, while using Metamorphosis, Soulshatter taunts your target, Twilight Ward will absorb all schools of damage and Demonic Slash is shorter range and generates fury.

Taunts don't work in PvP.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
03/22/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Numen
Problem is that they'd have to make sure you can't DPS and Tank, let alone switch between so easily. After all, that's partly why Druids now get FOUR talent trees... so that Feral Cats can't really tank so well, and Guardian Druids won't be able to DPS.

Glyph of Demon Hunting - Demonic Fury now reduces damage taken instead of increasing damage dealt. In addition, while using Metamorphosis, Soulshatter taunts your target, Twilight Ward will absorb all schools of damage and Demonic Slash is shorter range and generates fury.

Also, you have to change glyphs to be able to tank, which you can't do in combat. It's not like ferals currently as that can change forms in combat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The only thing that scares me about this is will Blizz give in to the eventual cries to make it easier due to all the noob locks crying.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
03/22/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Blackgoddess
The only thing that scares me about this is will Blizz give in to the eventual cries to make it easier due to all the noob locks crying.

Noob locks play mages. =P
Edited by Kassiel on 3/22/2012 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
You guys are missing the fact you can still be crit, can't parry and have 5% dodge. Sorry to crash your party but you'll be offtanking some caster adds in the absence of a hunter pet.
Edited by Manic on 3/22/2012 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
03/22/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Manic
You guys are missing the fact you can still be crit, can't parry and have 5% dodge. Sorry to crash your party but you'll be offtanking some caster adds in the absence of a hunter pet.

We can't be crit, and your point about avoidance has been responded to. Please read more carefully.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
03/22/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Numen

As I said on another thread on the topic, it is likely that the glyph spec to tank is in there so beta testers can test the tanking AND the Dps sides of it. Blizz would like go with one or the other come release, not both. For the very reason you mention. Blizz moved away from tank/dps spec with DKs and now druids.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
03/22/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Blackgoddess
Locks have always had a high bar for player skill. I don't think that will change.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
the only thing i don't like about this is that every tom and harry warlock in a pve dungeon will be pulling crap because they think they can tank.

i have noticed that several classes are getting some type of "tanking" ability and it doesn't seem to bode well for actuall tanks.it's bad enough i usually have hunters pulling early but now every impatiant fury and arms warrior will be charging into packs,hunters pulling other packs,locks running around taunting things,dogs and cats living in harmony...

i have to reserve judgement untill mop goes live but my prot warrior has a bad,bad feeling about the chaos that could come with these changes.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
03/22/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Manic

Sorry to clash your party, but avoidance isn't a must, like shields aren't a must if you take a look at DK's.

Different mechanics, different ways to mitigate. That's what counts.
the only thing i don't like about this is that every tom and harry warlock in a pve dungeon will be pulling crap because they think they can tank.

i have noticed that several classes are getting some type of "tanking" ability and it doesn't seem to bode well for actuall tanks.it's bad enough i usually have hunters pulling early but now every impatiant fury and arms warrior will be charging into packs,hunters pulling other packs,locks running around taunting things,dogs and cats living in harmony...

i have to reserve judgement untill mop goes live but my prot warrior has a bad,bad feeling about the chaos that could come with these changes.

Don't blame the changes for what a few baddies do because they don't understand that simple threat generation doesn't mean tanking.

The actual shamans aren't real tanks. They have threat abilities, but no way to sustain damage. The warlock with these changes will be completely different.

This glyph gives an entire basis to sustain an actual tank. Even the dps cd, Demon Soul from Demonology becomes mitigation because it gives mastery, and the mastery with that glyph reduces the damage received.

That glyph changes one mechanic to make two different roles effective. We will only need to take a look and need some balance around DF generation and other stuff to balance the lack of avoidance. Rotations and other, but the tanking is right there.

The only thing I didn't find was a baseline taunt. I'm guessing it's Soulshatter, prob will have a small cd like any other taunt because of the glyph.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Id like to see Locks tanking, whatever stops this class from its slow and painful death. Never see locks anymore....
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
As a healer I fully support Demonology Tanking.

I sincerely hope the Blizzard makes Demonology an airtight tanking spec. And if they do, I will gladly heal demonology tanks.
Edited by Alnair on 3/22/2012 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
The more I read, the more sense everything makes. I would say it is safe to assume warlock tanking, but a blue post to confirm/deny anything would be greatly appreciated!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I just can't imagina they made all of this just to an "off tank for necessity", like a shaman with rockbitter... That concept is dead a long time ago, it's worthless to waste time creating something like that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Sounds like they're doing the same thing they did with DKs and making demon the tank tree. Glad I'm affliction and not demon. I still miss my blood DK dps spec, and I'm still bitter that Blizz gutted it, completely reworked it and made it tank only. It was one of the most fun dps specs in the game.

Watch, they'll make affliction a healing spec or some BS and I'll no longer get to enjoy my lock, just like my DK.

Well, demonology is still a dps class, but the GLYPH will make tanking available :P. Demonology would be like the feral druids, except it's just a super duper glyph!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]