Warlock popularity number crunching

90 Blood Elf Warlock
I love hard data over anecdotal evidence, and Cynwise crunches the numbers he is able to get:

http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/where-did-all-the-warlocks-go-in-cataclysm/

http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/leveling-data-on-warlocks-is-worse-than-i-thought/

Any thoughts on these? Has he missed something?

EDIT:
Threads for followup posts:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253901933
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4427563064
Edited by Dejara on 4/17/2012 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This is so sad.

Just... so sad.

I just don't even know what to do at this point.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
I agree completely with Pauly, I love being the minority and Topping charts against popular belief. Rotation may be uncomfortable and bulky to most but its nice executing it well and going above those arcane mages etc :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
His data is skewed because we ride in single file to hide our numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Honestly as far as pure number breakdown, I have nothing to aurgue with any of it. As to why the numbers are what they are. I have guesses, but that is all they are. Really I think it is being forced into a niche in pvp, and bieng midpack at pve (after taking into account the inevitable, and unrecoverable human error that happens in pve)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/25/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Doomed
I agree completely with Pauly, I love being the minority and Topping charts against popular belief. Rotation may be uncomfortable and bulky to most but its nice executing it well and going above those arcane mages etc :)

I also do not disagree. I like being one of the few. Even take a very unhealthy sense of pride when I do manage to top a raid meter.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Guys, we're not the minority. To put it in IRL terms, we're not even native americans. We're the people native americans conquered thousands of years ago, coldly forgotten but still oppressed due to ancient customs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
To give y'all an idea where Cynwise is coming from here is a post he did in ancient times on how warlocks should play: http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/the-warlock-way/
It's been obsoleted a bit by blizz's changes, but that is the kind of thing that made me want to play my 'lock.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thanks man... soryy but that made my night
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Run Census addon quite often

Lightbringer: 16314 characters seen so far

957 or 5% are Locks most populated is 2106 or 12% pallys

the other pures:

Hunter: 1994 or 12%
Mage: 1726 or 10%
Rogue: 1397 or 8%

Those are all characters of all levels. When I picked 85s only number of locks dropped to 4%
Edited by Tifaniä on 3/25/2012 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
That was worth reading... but I'm not particularly concerned about it. Rebalancing around the early levels certainly wouldn't be unwelcome, but honestly offputting mechanics at 85 aren't even a bad thing, because there has to be some option for the people who enjoy convolution. More diversity in playstyles is a good thing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thanks for starting this thread, Dejara. If there are different ways to look at the numbers, or sources I haven't considered, I would appreciate that kind of feedback.

I'm saving my speculation for a separate post. These posts have really just been to establish what facts we can about the state of warlocks throughout the game.

It isn't a pretty picture, but that doesn't mean it's not still a great class. It is. I have a dog-eared copy of Dusk's "How To BG" that I trot out when things don't look good for warlocks.

These people want to kill you. You are a warlock. They all hate you. They are going to go out of their way to harm you as deeply and as earnestly as they can, and then they are going to /spit and /lol at your corpse, because everybody hates warlocks.

They hate fear, they despise dots, your felhunter is a rage magnet and deathcoil once made the entire wow population cry floods of bitter tears for over a year.

Everyone hates us because we gem for awesome. Don't let the numbers get you down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/25/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Freohr
That was worth reading... but I'm not particularly concerned about it. Rebalancing around the early levels certainly wouldn't be unwelcome, but honestly offputting mechanics at 85 aren't even a bad thing, because there has to be some option for the people who enjoy convolution. More diversity in playstyles is a good thing.

I halfway agree. There definitely should be some option for those who enjoy a harder playstyle (that is why my 'lock is my main). However, the low popularity is more a sign of problems rather than the problem itself.

Low popularity does matter to those of us who enjoy the 'lock style and want to continue playing it as Blizz will make changes in response (and probably ill considered ones, given the historical evidence). It's my understandfing that Cyn is planning to do another post talking about what he sees as the actual issues.

Some speculation: Should the reward for a convoluted playstyle be middle-of-the-pack output with a very fast dropoff if you've made mistakes? Would a *little* less error sensitivity make more sense? Other classes have been gathering up more of the utility that used to be just on the warlock. What about the long term? If no one needs a 'lock for raids and such will Blizz just backwater them for us old farts who rolled one in TBC or early Wrath and don't want to switch? Or will they just turn them into another mage-ish class with some tanky-ness (NOT what I want).

Edit: I note that with the whole "bring the player not the class" philosophy Blizz is pretty explicitly trying to make classes have roughly equal max output. Not that they've been completely successful for various reasons (which is why MoP is taking the speccing approach it does).
Edited by Dejara on 4/15/2012 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It's an interesting post to say the least. I just wish they'd give people more incentives to play warlock, because that's awesome for us die hards.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
The article seems to completely ignore "THE HUMAN ELEMENT" People are social creatures and MMORPGs by their very nature promote social gameplay. You may want to play a pally after your friends told you it is an awesome class, conversely, if you hated your lock, you may tell 10 of your friends how miserable you were.

The general perception is, everyone has a druid. That is what prompted me to get one. On the other hand, I pointed out to all my friends how miserable I am playing my lock. Only reason this char is my main is because I stockpiled every single achievement and mount/pet I could get on this char.

I think the lock representation in heroic raids is completely meaningless to an average player. Heroic raid leaders will take the specs that give them an edge, without consideration what an average joe considers to be fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
to bo honest, I may be in a minority to say I have no interest in tanking. To me, I would say that giving a lock something that they can say they are the best at would be the single biggest thing to help with the populatrity of the class. Most of us left with lock mains would adapt, its what we are good at.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/25/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Bluefin
His data is skewed because we ride in single file to hide our numbers.

Does this still apply for those who aren't wearing the Plagueheart set, too? :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/25/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Kaleva
to bo honest, I may be in a minority to say I have no interest in tanking. To me, I would say that giving a lock something that they can say they are the best at would be the single biggest thing to help with the populatrity of the class. Most of us left with lock mains would adapt, its what we are good at.

Agreed. My view is that if Blizz is going down the "all classes have roughly equal output" path then we may as well have tanking or some other multi-role arrangement as one of the major old reasons to play a 'lock is no more. For that matter, why have ANY pure classes at all? The old reasons to have pures (better output, diversity of play styles) have become obsolete with the current game systems. Not my preferred direction but Blizz doesn't ask me.
Edited by Dejara on 3/25/2012 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/25/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Kaleva
Thanks man... soryy but that made my night

Why be sorry? (I'm assuming you're talking about "The Warlock Way") It's a great post and gets to the heart of playing a warlock in early 2010.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]