Warlock popularity number crunching

90 Human Warlock
03/25/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Dejara
Why be sorry? (I'm assuming you're talking about "The Warlock Way") It's a great post and gets to the heart of playing a warlock in early 2010.

lol I'm a long time lock, it's what I do
Reply Quote
91 Human Warlock
I love my lock but I don't play him as much anymore because it becomes infuriating to do bg's and get attacked by any melee for the most part and basically not be able to move or cast.

Especially since they nerfed a lot of the self heals and nerfed SL and drainlife damage and everything else. We used to be able to tank stuff in pvp but now it's basically do 3's or run with a rest sham to be all that great anymore.
Edited by Spiritlord on 3/25/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Human Warlock
As a leveling warlock right now, I cant blame people for not wanting to level them, I usually level off pvp , but getting 2 shotted by everything is normal, but getting 2 shotted by rogues/dks/rets/mages while they resist my spells 1/3 of the time, and a 30%+ reduction to shadow damage because of the priest buff isnt fun at all, My only instant fears usually get resisted, Wtb spell pen.

Other then that though, questing is a breeze, dot 5-6 targets as you run along.

<3 warlocks
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
sooooo...........THIS is why we're getting a tank glyph and as blizz said: the most changes of all the classes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Warlocks became very, very clunky in Cata. That's why I stopped playing mine. I imagine many others felt similarly. I loved my lock (of every spec) throughout TBC and Wrath, but Cata was just... not fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
We are actually getting the most changes of any class. Hopefully they lead to good things for my favorite class. Also hopefully they can survive the nerf bat that almost always seems to follow. Once again I've seen it too many times to get excited yet. Forgive the scepticism.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
03/25/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Doomwraith
sooooo...........THIS is why we're getting a tank glyph and as blizz said: the most changes of all the classes.

Yup. I do believe you are right. Because they botched the previous changes so badly. I still wonder from time to time just how they thought that the original placement of ISF in the early Cata rotations would work for affliction. Or how they failed to notice that aff, the so called master of dots and drains, got a shadowbolt *nuke* as their filler and then they explicitly killed the affdrain spec.

Hopefully someone else did the changes for MoP.
Edited by Dejara on 3/25/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
First... when is "next week's post" coming out? I am very interested in reading it... ;)

Second.. As pointed out above, and in the comment section of your site (did anyone else read that? I'm actually impressed that the author read and replied to about every comment there.. kudos to you sir).. i feel it's not what warlocks can do so much as how warlocks do it..

i've been a lock since the dawn of wow.. but honestly, there is just so much to manage / cast / prioritize compared to other classes it scares people away. I have always been the only warlock that raids (and sometimes at all) in all of the guilds i have ever been in.. I got passed over on the legendary because our arcane mage could faceroll higher DPS in the previous tier..

I get really frustrated with my class sometimes and I feel like a lot of encounters or mechanics were made and there was absolutely 0 consideration on how it would work with warlocks.

Also not all the specs make sense.. Destro is supposed to be the burst spec.. and it is.. but still I have to keep up corruption and shadowflame when I can.. these aren't burst they're dots.. I felt more like I was dotting and filling in with some incin and chaos bolt (which was a terrible ability for top tier talent when it is almost the exact same as incin)...

so sure.. my vote is "it's probably skill cap and people wanting to take the time to learn the class when they could just roll a mage and slam their heads on a keyboard to win"..
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I did read it. and I will give him a great big "good luck" for his efforts. I know at times I will come off as a sceptic. but in all honesty this is and will be my main as long as I play wow.

They really seem to be trying to help the class and if I can lend some support, I will. and in short kudos to them
Reply Quote
I love my lock but since i left in mid TBC and came back just before Cata (and had to finish leveling this toon then, my original lock was on a different server), my dps is bad brcause my mindset is STILL in TBC time. Then, Meta was for the "oh darn, im being attacked", not the extra damage form. Im still trying to remember to do Meta on bosses but its hard to do so. I was the terror of Kara with SoC then... now, its not worth casting as demo lock unless you are behind a horde raid on SW and want to cause some problems for the healers... before you are finally noticed and killed.

So now, i use her for PvP. I do ok at that i die too much but i make my attackers work for it, and often they die because others save me as i last long enough. Working on a DK to be my PvE toon, since i dont have many bad habits to unlearn and the rotations are much more forgiving.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I like it. I feel on some level if this trend did not exist I wouldn't be excited for Warlock tanking. Let the trend continue I say! I look forward to future incentives to entice non locks and reward locks
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
I personally think that people gravitate away from warlocks for a few simple reasons.

1.) Outside of Affliction, Demo and Destro have these huge skill curves that the other classes don't even get near having to deal with in complexity. This means that the majority of ppl who are used to playing those 2 buttons classes like hunters and mages, tend to gravitate to something else as they're leveling and when they finally reach endgame.

2.) Warlocks have been in this constant state of flux since late Vanilla, where they are constantly changing with 1 spec being valid and the others useless. Meaning only the most dedicated players will play them, due to constantly shifting viability of specs, that seems to change with the wind and gear. Meaning most players will move onto less changing classes. I mean frigging seriously, when a single piece of gear can completely undo your rotation and change everything including stat priority things get crazy and confusing.

I think those 2 sum it up. As much as people won't admit it, people are lazy and no one outside of dedicated warlock fans want to press 100 different buttons when a mage can press 2 for the same effect. Not to mention this expansion has been somewhat of an absolute nightmare with stat priorities and rotations changing every other week.

I finally got around to leveling a mage to 85 a few weeks ago, and it was actually kind of insulting to know I was actually outperforming my warlock which was better geared in both pve and pvp for half of half of half the effort.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
03/25/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Sumomo
it was actually kind of insulting to know I was actually outperforming my warlock which was better geared in both pve and pvp for half of half of half the effort.

This. It pisses me the hell off.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
for me it simply came down to rotation, the ISF buff was just a pain in the !@# to keep up, hard casting it was not pleasant at all - if MoP hopes to bring a new breath of life to the warlock community, destruction getting properly tuned and buffed will play a large roll in this.

Its a quality of life thing, people play toons they find fun, locks in cata just arnt as fun/easy as other classes. That being said, each to their own, some players may like it some may not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
03/25/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Narv
First... when is "next week's post" coming out? I am very interested in reading it... ;)

This week, if work cooperates. Thanks for reading. :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Posted by Narv
First... when is "next week's post" coming out? I am very interested in reading it... ;)This week, if work cooperates. Thanks for reading. :)

I can't wait to read the next part!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
On one hand it doesn't bother me that our class is such a challenge to learn, because that's why I decided to roll this class; on the other hand it bothers me that we don't see a whole lot of reward for that effort.

MoP looks to be changing that, I've read that Destro and Demo are receiving the most changes (haven't heard anything about Affli)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]