Why Warlocks are Least Played Class in WoW 2

90 Undead Warlock
I think Audersi’s thread contained a lot of good discussion.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4175418217

I also thought this thread kept the trolls on topic.
http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/where-did-all-the-warlocks-go-in-cataclysm/

As most know there was an official word that Demo Locks will not tank in MoP. I have not specced Demo in years. Honestly tanking or no tanking, I have no future plans to do so. The recent news does make me think the developers have ignored Destro and Demo for a long time. They are now stabbing in the dark to make the specs more appealing. The potential for a hot mess is high. In PVE Demo/Locks have an option to off tank for certain fights at the loss of DPS. They have not considered the potential to have overpowered Demo/Lock in PvP. This would result in nerfs for PvP purposes, leaving the PvE potential gutted.

I am beginning to think they are happy with the number of active Warlocks.
Edited by Avatarroku on 3/27/2012 5:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think they're going in the right direction with locks in general. As far as the idea of Demo tanking in certain fights, I think it's more for times when you solo older content or 5 mans for fun.

No self respecting Demo Lock is going to try to seriously tank when they aren't meant to. No one would purposely neuter themselves like that.

Now, as far as the changes go in terms of DPS, I think the Embers and Demonic Fury design so far are both incredible. It's really cool how the complexity of the specs aren't going to come from spread damage or juggling more than 12 abilities just for your DPS, like it is now.

The skill is going to come from shifting between ranged and melee for Demo, and with Unending Resolve, Demonic Teleport and Demonic Leap things will be pretty easy considering the only DPS cast time spells you have now are Shadowbolt and Soulfire. Everything else is instant.

For Destro, it's interesting to think how high the burst could potentially get, and how destructive and dangerous it feels. It's like a parallel Arcane Mage (health instead of mana), but probably much more rewarding.

The new Destro AoE (rain of fire being instant and stunning at the second hit, Havoc being a two target burst cooldown, Fire and Brimstone allowing some of your spells to hit multiple targets) seems to be tuned nicely as well. I'm not really sure about how Aff is changing besides getting Malefic Grasp, but we'll see how the DoT damage power when it goes live.

The other cool thing is how powerful some of the abilities are tuned (Dark Regen, new Mortal Coil, Unbinding will/Blood Fear, more powerful pets, Unending Resolve) and how Demon Soul (dark soul) is based off the best secondary stat for each spec now instead of restrictive by demon.

Cataclysm wasn't kind to Warlocks, and I'm actually excited to play mine again for MoP. It looks very promising.
Edited by Spirager on 3/27/2012 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Why play a very weak warlock who has dots that do 4k ticks at best when I could roll a overpowered ret paly, rogue or mage and regulary get 100k crits?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Warlocks are just more tedious, complex Mages. The way the game has been going, it should be no surprise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
overpowered rogue

Aren't rogues the 2nd least played class?

And lol Legendaries.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
03/28/2012 05:46 AMPosted by Emevoli
overpowered rogue

Aren't rogues the 2nd least played class?

And lol Legendaries.

Very nice transmog.

Sorry for ot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

Very nice transmog.

Sorry for ot.

I didn't feel like farming for the real gloves, and these look awesome with it. Trying to get a better helm, maybe the blindfold from BT.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

Very nice transmog.

Sorry for ot.

I didn't feel like farming for the real gloves, and these look awesome with it. Trying to get a better helm, maybe the blindfold from BT.

The T5 murderface helm would look pretty awesome too.
Reply Quote
5 Human Rogue
I think they should have a glyph for metamorphosis to give you spectral glaives. Maybe then people could pretend to be demon hunters.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Reasons I stopped playing my warlock:

1. I enjoy complexity somewhat, but the Warlock took more time and effort for less reward than any other class I've ever played. Rotations, procs, etc. were absolutely abysmal. Having to keep track of DoTs on multiple adds, extremely long ramp-up time, etc. etc.

2. PvP. I know people look at the arena stats and say "But warlocks are on EVERY TOP END TEAM". True enough. Have any of those people bothered playing a warock however? Probably not. Warlock is by far the most frustrating class I've played in PvP. Second only maybe to Hunter and Boomkin. The amount of micro management required to play a warlock correctly is absolutely unreal. I applaud people who do it and do it well. It's rough. Aside from that, there are a small handful of reasons that Warlocks are any good at all:

Fear. Fear may be the most countered ability in the game, but there's a reason for that. It is the ONLY spammable CC that doesn't either fully heal or prevent a target from taking damage. It is the ONLY spammable CC that makes a person run in a random direction and completely ruin positioning (psychic scream does this as well, but is easier to avoid and on a long cooldown).

UA. UA is the only good dispel protection in a game with a completely broken dispel system. Dispels were supposed to "be a choice" and have "high mana costs". Blizz dropped the ball on that and then never bothered to fix it. This means that Warlocks can spread their DoTs and actually have some form of protection against them.

Survivability. Ever try killing a high resil warlock with a shaman healer at their back? It's a nightmare. I'm not even entirely sure it's possible.

Now...take all of that into account. Then understand the fact that alone, the warlock can do absolutely NONE of that. I know people will spout that "1v1 doesn't matter and the game isn't balanced around it", but face facts. There are not many people at all who play this game who don't want to be able to stand toe to toe with another player and have a chance to come out on top. I have not seen a warlock win a 1v1 fight with anybody lately. In fact, I would LOVE to see it. Somebody point me in the direction of one where equally geared/skilled players are going at it and the lock wins. Not that it would prove Warlocks are ok, but it would be nice to see.

The bottom line is: The class needs to be paired with other people to do well, it can't really do well on its own. The class is far too complex and requires too many keybinds and DoT timers to play correctly. The class relies on a pet for a huge portion of it's damage, and that damage relies on absolutely horrible AI and random bugs that have to this day not been fixed. There are not enough people who play this game who want to deal with a class like that. I imagine people pick it up, just like I did (I leveled a Worgen lock for Cata, and played him through Firelands before I finally decided it just wasn't worth it anymore), get frustrated because they get out performed constantly even though they feel like they're working hard, and then go find something more fun that performs better. I've played every class in the game now at some point over my history in WoW. The warlock was my last hold-out. I absolutely regret wasting my time on him. Affliction and Demo are fun enough (I hate destro), but the work vs. reward just absolutely sucks.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
I think that Cynwise post more or less covers it, and aligns with my own experience. I've mained a warlock since Vanilla, sometimes raiding sometimes not.

Cataclysm came, and I shelved the warlock after a short time. I realized that Destruction had as many DoTs (Bane, Corruption, Immolate) as Affliction, a cooldown nuke (chaos bolt / haunt), so the only difference was that Destruction had fire instead of shadow, no execute, but an annoyingly complex rotation (an extra cooldown nuke, a hardcasted soul fire buff). Demonology is fun and all, but when Demonology only whips out the felguard during AoE phases because the Felhunter is better DPS, something's not right.

Most other classes got really interesting stuff. We got soulburn which, rather than being an interesting DPS cooldown button to press, just works out as a convenience for two specs (soulburn pet summon, soulburn soul fire for ISF) and AoE for the other.

Warlocks aren't *bad*, but if I'm going to put down my hybrid (My other five sometimes-mains are all either healers or tanks or both) and settle into just one role, I want that role to be *awesome*.

On the plus side, tank glyph notwithstanding, the refactored MoP warlock does look pretty awesome. I'd be happy using the warlock as my prime-time toon in MoP. Well, happy until I get distracted by a multi-role hybrid character. If warlocks could tank, I'd never play another toon again.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I will never understand why some people think that warlocks are so complex. Theyre really not. Yes we have DoTs, were THE big DoT caster. Yes we have a pet, and you have to tell it what to do, so tough to keybind 3 or 4 abilities to control a pet(sarcasm).

Destro and Affl dont have any really big decisions to make. Spread dots and rotate fears in bgs. Its really that easy.

If you dont like being trained by melee then play a mage. Locks are the tanks of casters. We have an extra 25% damage reduction, which is like a free 2500 resil. We have tons of self healing, 3k+ per second while spamming drain life. We even receive a ton of extra healing from all sources. We are perfect pvp tanks.

Stop scaring the kiddies away from warlocks by saying theyre "complex". We need more locks out there to keep all the mages in line
Reply Quote
2 Tauren Warrior
I will never understand why some people think that warlocks are so complex. Theyre really not. Yes we have DoTs, were THE big DoT caster. Yes we have a pet, and you have to tell it what to do, so tough to keybind 3 or 4 abilities to control a pet(sarcasm).

Destro and Affl dont have any really big decisions to make. Spread dots and rotate fears in bgs. Its really that easy.

If you dont like being trained by melee then play a mage. Locks are the tanks of casters. We have an extra 25% damage reduction, which is like a free 2500 resil. We have tons of self healing, 3k+ per second while spamming drain life. We even receive a ton of extra healing from all sources. We are perfect pvp tanks.

Stop scaring the kiddies away from warlocks by saying theyre "complex". We need more locks out there to keep all the mages in line

it wouldnt be so funny if you werent posting on a mage
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Yeah, this is my only toon too... oh wait, I also have an 85 warlock, warrior, and shaman. :P
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
03/28/2012 03:47 PMPosted by Caelfax
Yeah, this is my only toon too... oh wait, I also have an 85 warlock, warrior, and shaman. :P

Do you actually play 2h enhance >.> I mean props if you do, but at the same time I feel a little bad for your teammates.
Reply Quote
2 Tauren Warrior

i figured you had a warlock when you said "we need more locks"

im just pointing out that it was funny while being posted on a mage.

so in conclusion

!@#$ mages
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/28/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Freohr

Do you actually play 2h enhance >.> I mean props if you do, but at the same time I feel a little bad for your teammates.

If you're going to give props for someone playing 2H enhance you should give props to warriors use use staffs, ret who sword/board, and hunters who melee.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Haha, actually when I get reaaaally bored I do break out the 2h enhance, but only in random bgs. When I do arenas on my shaman I go resto.

@onehand dude I so agree. Mages need to be put in their place. um.... unless I happen to be playing my mage at the time <.< >.>
Reply Quote
29 Dwarf Priest
I focused on my warlock for a while early on in cata, but it became apparent that in pvp dot ticks just were not cutting it. I was dead before I did any suitable (or noticeable) damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]