How do you make accents on certain letters?

(Locked)

100 Gnome Warrior
Some players in WoW have accents on the letters of their names, which I do not know how to type. Can someone tell me how these accents were made? I know they are present in foreign languages like French, but not in English.
90 Worgen Warrior
Alt codes or copy & paste. On Windows, hold in on alt and type in the number code for that symbol on the num pad. For example, alt+235 is ë.

http://alt-codes.org/
Edited by Ratatoskr on 3/30/2012 10:08 AM PDT
100 Gnome Warrior
Thank you! I will look that up.
90 Blood Elf Mage
If you want them for your own names, you can also try setting your keyboard to spanish during char creation (Control Panel).
´ and ¨(shift) will be two keys right from 'L' (the key between will be 'Ñ').
` and ^(shift) will be right next to 'P'.

You just type one of these, nothing will appear, then type the vowel and there you have it. :D
Of course, if you want to whisp someone with these in their names, changing key layout every time becomes a pain in the you-know-what.
Edited by Ixen on 3/30/2012 12:19 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
North American realms (excluding Brazilian, Latin American, and Oceanic realms) no longer permit letters with accents in character or guild names. Existing character and guild names with special characters will be unaffected by this change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3608419/Public_Test_Realm_Patch_43_Notes-9_27_2011#blog

I am uncertain whether this is now the case in the production game or if it was dropped before production , but if you find that you cannot make such a name, this is probably why.

<S>
90 Worgen Warrior
North American realms (excluding Brazilian, Latin American, and Oceanic realms) no longer permit letters with accents in character or guild names. Existing character and guild names with special characters will be unaffected by this change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3608419/Public_Test_Realm_Patch_43_Notes-9_27_2011#blog

I am uncertain whether this is now the case in the production game or if it was dropped before production , but if you find that you cannot make such a name, this is probably why.

<S>

It was scrapped before production. You can still use special characters. Note the lack of that note in the live notes:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/4-3-0
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks Ratatoskr - I wasn't sure since I could only find a reference to it in the PTR notes.

<S>
85 Tauren Warrior
If you are just trying to whisper people, you can simply right click their name and choose the Whisper option. Then, /r to reply any time later (like if you chatted in guild and then want to whisper again). For adding to guild, you can shift click their name while the Add Member text box is open. The game will then add their name into the box for you.
85 Tauren Priest
If you're on a Windows machine:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map
100 Night Elf Hunter
And for those of us who are Mac-enabled, this is even easier, as special characters are added by "sticky keys." Pressing the combination option+e adds the "acute" accent over the next letter: é

option + u adds the umlaut: ü

option + ` adds the grave accent: ì

option + 6 adds the circumflex: ô

many other special characters can be accessed via the option key: ß, ¢, þ, etc.

The Keyboard Viewer will allow you to see what the keystroke combinations do. You can also (as mentioned for Windows machines) turn your keyboard into a Spanish (or French, or German, etc.) keyboard in the international menu, but then you need to be familiar with the arrangement of keys on foreign machines to use it effectively.
100 Blood Elf Priest
The others have already explained how to make the characters yourself.

But if you're in-game and you just need to be able to /whisper or invite someone to your party quickly without having to look up the alt-code, there's a few tricks.

One, as someone mentioned, if the person has already written something in chat, you can click their name to whisper. If you have your cursor active in the chat box, you can also shift+click their name, and their name will appear in the chat box. From there, you can copy that text and paste it wherever you need to.But let's say the person has not typed something... If the person is online, you can do a /who search for part of their name. For example, if my name was "Hérshe", you could type "/who rshe" in game, and anyone who has "rshe" in their name will appear in a list for you. If necessary, you can narrow the list down with other attributes, like "/who rshe 85" will show everyone who has "rshe" in their name and who is level 85. There's more sophisticated ways to type out those commands, but usually that's effective enough. Once you've identified the person on the list, you can right click them and send them a whisper or invite them to party.
83 Night Elf Druid
I have been trying the number code for the Spanish "i", but it won't work. Can someone help me with this?
90 Night Elf Druid
Elorria, it's best to make your own thread as things change over time, and the information you just brought to the top from a year ago may not be accurate now (although in this case, it is.)

As was said above, if you are on a Windows system, go to the character map (usually under Programs\Accessories\System Tools). Find the character you want, double click it, and then hit copy. In Wow, press Ctl-V to paste it into an appropriate text box.

<S>
83 Night Elf Druid
Ok, thnx lol. I hardly ever check dates
61 Undead Monk
I still keep trying and it makes numbers at the name can anyone help?
100 Orc Rogue
I still keep trying and it makes numbers at the name can anyone help?

Please check the dates before you make a post, this thread has a bit of outdated information.

You need to hold down the ALT key, and use the number pad to enter the alt code. That is how I do it. Or you can just use the character map in Windows, and cut and paste.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]