The Decline and Fall of Warlocks in Cataclysm

85 Orc Hunter
04/05/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Raithlor
You either willfully or accidentially must have missed the point of the article.

Seems like quite a few people have been doing this just so they can argue saying "people that complain about warlocks just need to L2P cause their bad".

That has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.
Edited by Ruflok on 4/5/2012 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Seems like quite a few people have been doing this just so they can argue saying "people that complain about warlocks just need to L2P cause their bad".

That has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

Probably should have just ignored it but devoting half their reply (4 paragraphs) to how their performance is just fine, when the article clearly establishes performance has nothing to do with it just irked me and made me wonder if they even read it.

Yes I did read it. I also read 5 pages of, "locks are hard!" "our dps isn't good" "we have no niche" "we're support" "serial nerfs" etc, etc, etc. QQ after QQ, most of it without any substantive feedback and just based on feelings.

People are reading the article and thinking, "this guy can put a sentence together and seems to think locks are in decline. That means the problem isn't me!" When, in reality, those people are probably just bad at their locks. All of the importance of the articles is lost in the rampant QQ. Hence
What I'm getting at is that we need to separate the QQ from the discussion of elegance.

edit- when discussing why fewer people play a class don't discount the word of mouth factor. How many people do you think have been dissuaded from even trying a lock because of the almost constant negativity on this very forum?
Edited by Eolas on 4/5/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Fine, let those easily discouraged go play a class that is not only easy but does more damage for less work in comparison to a warlock.
Reply Quote
Oh i got it, and i agree. We are not a broken class but there is much that needs to be fixed for the average warlock player to be competive comparred to the average player of just about every other class.

And yes, i am an average player NOW. I was much better in TBC before all the changes were made that im still trying to learn and unlearn my old ways since i came back just before Cata came out.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
That would be me. I love warlocks, my favorite class, but considering that I play affliction pvp, which is extremely high skill cap, and there is absolutely no burst, I cannot kill any one on 1v1, unless they have low health/low resilience (which is definitely what I focus on).
Pve Demonology takes a lot of practice and it's a very unforgiving spec. Having to switch pets, from Felguard to Felhunter midfight because of class mechanics and because overall the felhunter has a higher dps when Felguard felstorm is on CD is just ridiculous. Demonology should NEVER have to switch pets in the middle of the fight, this is just to show how blizzard doesn't care about warlocks and it designed the class VERY VERY POORLY. As if our rotation/priority wasn't enough, we have at least double more active abilities during a boss encounter than any other class, we also have to SWITCH PETS midfight!
Cmon blizzard, spend a little less time on DK's and Paladins and work some on your warlocks mechanics. If you don't want to, just delete the class altogether, because leaving a class to be dumped on, and simply not care, is cruel!
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
Because I like evil and darkness, not you prissy little mages. DOn't expect a pally of all classes to understand.

And given the later comments in your post, I pray you're trolling.

Although indeed my post was all in good fun, there is one thing that seems to be holding true. People prefer the classes that have more of a noble or honorable feel to them. Rogues are a less played class, but there's the whole honor among thieves thing going on. Death Knights are an outlier, but they also start at a much higher level, so they are more accessible to most people as an alt. They also didn't choose to be what they are, but were instead forced into it. The entire theme around warlocks is that they are dark, emo,

Emo refers to emotional, what does being a Warlock have to do with that? It helps to know the meaning of words before you use them. Because it deals with dark themes? So are Rouges, does that mean Rouges are emo too?

On the whole people are attracted to noble themes, but making the class more accessible isn't giving it artificial bonuses. Furthermore, Paladins are the only stereotypically good class outside of Priests and Shaman. Mages, warriors, and, hunters are largely neutral. They are typically mixed in the roles they portray as opposed to Paladins and Presist with the former of, which tending to be very strong. DK's were forced into being evil, but they still use necromancy and blood magic. They just happen to be much easier to use than locks and the return for using them is larger.

People are also driven by appealing traits, and if someone sees something appealing they will flock to it. This is why belfs are the most played Horde race. Being considered the "bad guy" isn't as massive a turnoff if the bad guy looks appealing and powerful.
Edited by Naaraku on 4/15/2012 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
wait, so what is wrong with warlocks? i havnt played mine in a GOOOOOD minute. and was actually thinking about playing him again just for !@#$s and giggles and to gear up for lfr.
Reply Quote
81 Undead Warlock
There are some good reasons why people give up on warlocks before hiting end game.

1.) If your new to WoW or even Warlocks your not going to like Random BG's at all. Your just going to keep geting your ars handed to you all the way though it no matter how good your gear is or you are. But you can still grind out honor fairly easly with DoT's dmg. Your just going to die alot. I suspect this do's not help people to stay with there locks.

2.) On the PvE side. Low-Mid level 5-mans I had to first notice I was sucking so much ars with Affliction and even Demo to try out Destro. Destro is the spec to be doing low-mid level 5-mans. Your just going to suck with the other two till higher levels.

Becouse the mobs are mostly geting bursted down way to fast for the other two specs to do any dps on anything other then a Boss. Around the time my Demo spec got both Hand of Gul'dan and the Felguard got Fel Storm is around the time Demo was not to bad.

The much longer cast times on low level Affliction/Demo Nukes kills them in the lower-mid levels and Hunters/Rouges/Mages blowing everything up before you can get one nuke off or dots can do some dmg kinda sucks for Affliction/Demo at first.

So I think that also do's not help keep Warlock players ether.

Now add in the fact that your End game raid dps tanks if you screw up even alittle bit of your rotation and your not normaly at the top but in the middle ya.

For as hard as End game warlocks have to work they need to be in the Top 5 everytime when they get it right. Becouse when we get it wrong that will at least place use somewere in the Middle-low end reather then totaly fubar.

Edit: So basicly what happends here is that warlocks are heavly punshed for using anything but Nukes in group PvE till higher levels and PvP is a hole differnt ball of wax.

Look at it this way you basicly go from Blowing stuff up witht he Rouges and Mages and Hunters in PvE but then you get forced into being a Presser DPS+CC guy for PvP just after being a Bursty kind of DPS for most of your leveling. That my friends is just jacking with peoples heads.
Edited by Umbrah on 4/15/2012 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I was trying to show my brother how cool wow and locks in particular are, and was making him do a few rotations in SW.

He his 24k on this Mage.
He hits 26k on my SV hunter - il 395
Cruises at 19k on my afflock - il 392

I can't really give him a good reason about why to play a warloc,.

Gods bless him, he's levelling an arcane Mage now.

Problem is if you're new to a game, the notion of being an evil demon controlling spreader of diseases sounds appealing until you find yourself being a doormat who in a worst case may only beat tanks at dps (and certainly not in lower levels).

Bottom line, the gate fee is too high given the negligible rewards for entry.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I would agree the gate fee is high, and even at best the only thing you get playing a lock well now is a kindof satisfaction for doing it right when you can pull it off. At the moment it does take a very stubborn class of person to do it. Someone willing to go to outside forums, read a ton, and then be willing to hit dummies for a long time to max out there dps and drill it into there head as second nature.

At the moment that would not be fun for a large percentage of the people playing. and probably does have a good part to do with the locks numbers in the game.
Reply Quote
29 Orc Warlock
OK, so more to the OP's point (great articles btw, Cynwise), I am a statistic. I am a new WoW player who decided to roll a warlock because it seemed the more interesting of the caster classes.

So, I progressed through the initial levels and decided I really liked the gameplay. Sure, as I approached level 20 or so the spell priorities got more complex, and the mental juggling became an issue. But I was doing well solo questing. Then I decided to try the random dungeon finder. After my first couple of runs, and getting the "l2p noob!" comments, I did a lot of reading, reorganized my prorities, and installed Recount to assess.

Extremely disheartening. Sure, I suspected that heirloomed alts in the party would do better than me, but even with all the effort I put in, my DPS was abysmal. And no matter what I try, I am always the low DPS by a large margin. So, I have given up on randoms. I'm embarrassed to be in a group which seemingly has to carry me. I may just quest with this toon until MOP. Or I may just give up and roll a s-priest or mage.

It's a shame really. I like the playstyle of the warlock. Just not the effort required to stink so hugely at it.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
OK, so more to the OP's point (great articles btw, Cynwise), I am a statistic. I am a new WoW player who decided to roll a warlock because it seemed the more interesting of the caster classes.

So, I progressed through the initial levels and decided I really liked the gameplay. Sure, as I approached level 20 or so the spell priorities got more complex, and the mental juggling became an issue. But I was doing well solo questing. Then I decided to try the random dungeon finder. After my first couple of runs, and getting the "l2p noob!" comments, I did a lot of reading, reorganized my prorities, and installed Recount to assess.

Extremely disheartening. Sure, I suspected that heirloomed alts in the party would do better than me, but even with all the effort I put in, my DPS was abysmal. And no matter what I try, I am always the low DPS by a large margin. So, I have given up on randoms. I'm embarrassed to be in a group which seemingly has to carry me. I may just quest with this toon until MOP. Or I may just give up and roll a s-priest or mage.

It's a shame really. I like the playstyle of the warlock. Just not the effort required to stink so hugely at it.
hit 85 then pass judgement. Warlocks are TERRIBLE at trash dps and low level dps/pvp. thats been a fact all of cataclysm. At 85 it gets much better and we are quite competitive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
To your point, low to even lower middle level lock play is not great for locks in a 5 man. At best they are aoe fests on trash and learning your priorities on bosses. It truly does get discouraging at times. All I can say is it does get better with practice and gear scaling.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Thanks again Cynwise, good read, keep it coming.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
04/16/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Maleficent
Anyone want to sum up the articles for me? Can't be arsed to read more QQ.

Which is exactly why you won't get a summary. There is absolutely no QQ in the articles.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]