Medicinal guide to herbs (WIP)

13 Goblin Rogue
http://www.wowwiki.com/Medicinal_guide_to_herbs

Hey guys, I thought I'd put together an herbalist RP resource. I've compiled several sources into a guide, I've edited, pruned, and added information to various in-game herbs. Most of them are based partially on real world examples, though I limited those examples to plants that share similar effects. For instance, Goldclover is based on Red Clover in this guide. Red Clover is thought to have curative and restorative effects on the body, and Goldclover in the game appears to have similar properties and as such the description for this herb contains elements of in-game and real world application.

It's all about immersion, baby.

This was on hold for a long time due to IRL constraints and the fact that I may or may not have forgotten about it. I found all my resources though, so I'm currently actively updating it (as of 7/9/14). I plan on adding all alchemy and quest 'herbs' that have a demonstrable use in-game (i.e. they aren't just currency or something).

I'll go ahead and post what I have so far and I would really love advice, criticism, and ideas. I'm using wowwiki atm because reasons, but I'll move it to wowpedia or something at some point. I've used the following sources:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2926854142
http://moonguard.wikia.com/wiki/A_Guide_To_Herbs#Peacebloom_.28Pacis_Vigeo.29_3
http://www.wowwiki.com/User:Eveshka/A_Medicinal_Guide_to_Azerothian_and_Outland_Herbs
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079626829
http://botanical.com/

TO DO:
Ivory Bell
Lilac, Ruby
Lily, Moonpetal
Lily, Snow
Lily, Stratholme
Lily, Tiger
Lotus, Frost
Lotus, Imperial
Mana Thistle
Marrowpetal
Marshberry
Mudsnout Blossom
Murkweed
Metherbloom
Nightdragon
Nightmare Vine
Olemba Root
Ragveil
Rain Poppy
Raptorleaf
Rot Blossom
Sanguine Hibiscus
Serpentbloom
Shimmering Snowcap
Shimmerweed
Songflower
Sorrowmoss
Spiritsbreath
Stonebloom
Stormvine
Sweetroot
Talandra's Rose
Telaari Frond
Terocone
Twilight Jasmine
Wailing Weed
Whiptail
Winter Hyacinth
Witchbane
Wolfsbane
Wyrmtail
Xavren's Thorn

THE FOLLOWING OUTLAND HERBS WILL BE ADDED AND/OR REVISED TO BETTER LINE UP WITH DRAENOR HERBS
Ancient Lichen
Bogblossom
Dragonspine
Dreaming Glory
Fel Blossom
Felweed
Flame Cap
Ghost Mushroom
Ivory Bell
Lotus, Fel
Mana Thistle
Netherbloom
Olemba
Ragveil
Sanguine Hibiscus
Telaari Frond
Terocone
Edited by Giggitygoo on 12/2/2014 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
Edited by Giggitygoo on 12/2/2014 10:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
Wow, the character limit is going to seriously restrict this. I think I'll have to make a Wowwiki page instead. >:(
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
:D Share a link when you do get it up!
I thought that this might interest you as well: http://wyrmrestaccord.net/forums/roleplaying-corner/rp-workshop/azerothian-floriography
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
LOOOOOOOVVVEEEE!!!!! Thank you!!!

I might make a Google page or something, I don't know yet. I just want something simple, just a page where I can paste the whole thing. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Ohhhh, my. Azerothian Floriography.

8D

This is highly relevant to my character's interests. Thank you ever so much for linking!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
I am glad you guys like! :D (And bonus: the original writer of that, Blackbird = about nicest person evar. Seriously. 8| )

Hmmm. As to the page -- well, Wranet itself is fun for that. I know wikis can be a bit cumbersome if it's not something someone is used to plugging through often. You could perhaps check out a free webhost and just throw it up as a page? WYSIWYG editors are a dime a dozen, and that could be a fun way to link people and open up the potential to insert images at a later date. Or even Wordpress or some similar blog. :3

Google docs can be good, too, for sharing information!
Edited by Ziichi on 3/23/2012 2:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I think my herbalist shaman might have a crush on a goblin now. I love this idea.
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
I am glad you guys like! :D (And bonus: the original writer of that, Blackbird = about nicest person evar. Seriously. 8| )

Hmmm. As to the page -- well, Wranet itself is fun for that. I know wikis can be a bit cumbersome if it's not something someone is used to plugging through often. You could perhaps check out a free webhost and just throw it up as a page? WYSIWYG editors are a dime a dozen, and that could be a fun way to link people and open up the potential to insert images at a later date. Or even Wordpress or some similar blog. :3

Google docs can be good, too, for sharing information!

I didn't even think about Google Docs. And it would be more easily sharable that way when people can just download it. Adding pictures to an RTF file is easy enough, or I could go PDF.

I've updated with a wowwiki page, links in the first post.

I'm including the Floriography in my sources because, pending permission, I may actually reference it when I update my list :D

Now.. does anybody know how to remove a category I accidentally added? lol
Edited by Giggitygoo on 3/23/2012 3:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Draenei Warrior
Ooh, I was working on something like this myself, as Freiha is a tremendous botany nerd and keeps a book of meticulous notations on each plant species she's come across, as well as their uses.

But it went unfinished because I was lazy--er, busy with other things, so this? This is awesome and thank you for taking the time to compile it. :D
Reply Quote
23 Draenei Hunter
Thanks! this will be helpful for the paladin I plan to make on this realm! :D
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
Thanks guys. So some questions, it would be too spammy for a forum post and I doubt it would generate enough interest for a sticky. However I'm thinking of a downloadable version on Google docs. Would a PDF file be okay for everyone?
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
If anybody has any suggestions for the following I'd be happy to hear them :)

Ancient Lichen
Azshara's Veil
Black Lotus
Bloodvine
Cinderbloom
Deadnettle
Doom Weed
Dreaming Glory
Fel Lotus
Felweed
Firethorn
Flame Cap
Frost Lotus
Gloom Weed
Heartblossom
Ice Cap
Icethorn
Lichbloom
Mana Thistle
Mountain Silversage
Netherbloom
Nightmare Vine
Ragveil
Shimmerweed
Sorrowmoss
Stormvine
Talandra's Rose
Terocone
Tiger Lily
Twilight Jasmine
Whiptail

As well as any other player-made or quest-related flora with any notable alchemical or medicinal use I would love to add them to the guide, I'm a little strapped for ideas on some of these at the moment (IRL kind of hectic and I'm easily distracted lololol)

Entries I have planned for today are Dreaming Glory, possibly Fel Lotus, Mountain Silversage, possibly Talandra's Rose, Terocone, Tiger Lily, Twilight Jasmine, and possibly Whiptail.
Edited by Giggitygoo on 3/24/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
Added Dreaming Glory, Mountain Silversage, and Terocone
Reply Quote
Love this idea. Actually thought about undertaking a similar project, and have two pages typed out + some sketches.

Lemme know if you want me to send them in.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Giant Squids,

The first rule of picking pumpkins is not to pick pumpkins.

World Peace and Puppies,
--Eph
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
I'm debating including Ephie in the list as an herb.Tempting. Very tempting.

@Caneyn - If you want to contribute feel free, I'm also posting here http://wyrmrestaccord.net/forums/roleplaying-corner/rp-workshop/my-attempt-at-an-rp-guide-to-herbs and if you want to send me anything you can pm me there. :) I don't log into the game often enough to catch in-game mail, sorry. :(

I'll eventually get around to finding a customizable blog (probably wordpress) so I can make it look all fancy pants like it's a book or something, and I plan to eventually include sketches. I can't make any guarantees beyond finishing the listings for each herb, but so far that is my plan.
Reply Quote
13 Goblin Rogue
Updated. Figured out how to (hopefully) properly credit sources. Added Table of Contents. Removed Latin nomenclature. Will add other 'common names' as I think of them. Not a priority. In fact it probably won't happen. Need to fix Terocone entry because it's stupid. Edited Blindweed entry because it was stupid.
Edited by Giggitygoo on 3/25/2012 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
Wow. Fantastic work. A thought: Perhaps instead of Latin names, regional/racial names for the plants? Perhaps the given names are the most commonly used ones for the herbs, but certain races or kingdoms have special names for a plant. For example, Peacebloom might be known as An'she's Grace or something in traditional Shu'halo herb lore.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I love you. I love that guide. You need a gold medal, like a real one not a zinc one coated with gold paint.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]