what do I need to play Mist of Pandaria?

(Locked)

4 Human Rogue
hi,
what do I need if I only want to play Mist of Pandaria? do I still need to buy the original game?

thanks in advance for your response
90 Tauren Paladin
You'll need to buy the original game, wrath of the lich king and cataclsym
4 Human Rogue
so I need to buy everything came out before Mist of Pandaria even if I only want to play the content of Mist of Pandaria?
90 Tauren Paladin
Yes. I'm in the middle of a raid, someone else will probably explain why soon
Edited by Akosi on 3/23/2012 6:38 PM PDT
03/23/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Syz
so I need to buy everything came out before Mist of Pandaria even if I only want to play the content of Mist of Pandaria?

The content won't be unique from everything else, it'll be a part of a whole -- much of MoP's content will be 85-90, which is impossible to do without the base game or previous expansions. Even if you just want to make a Pandaran, you'll have to upgrade to MoP to play one.

This lists what's available with each upgrade level:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965841807
Edited by Jakjak on 3/23/2012 7:28 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
You can't play JUST MoP. Pandas (which require MoP to play anyway) start at level 1-10 in a MoP only zone, BUT from 11-85 they will be in content that was released in the other expansions only returning back to MoP content at level 85.

The expansions are NOT a separate game, they are additional layers of content added on to the base game. If you want to get to the newest and shiniest layer, you need to progress through all the ones before it first. That's why battle.net won't even let people try to skip expansions in their account level. You HAVE to purchase the prior ones before the latest can be applied.

Certain changes to the game will happen for everyone like the changes to the talent and glyph systems. But to be a panda, a monk, venture to Pandaria, or level past 85, you need MoP which requires you to have all the others too.

If, however, someone were to decide that they wanted to stop at an earlier expansion and didn't care about MoP features or the new level cap, then they could. If you instead wanted nothing to do with anything beyond Burning Crusade (included in the Battlechest with Classic WoW) then you could just stop there and not get the further expansions. You need every expansion up to the one you wish to end at. So if someone were to decide they only wanted Cataclysm, they'd have to get the Battlechest, WotLK, and Cataclysm, but could forgo MoP since it came out AFTER Cataclysm and is therefore not needed to play Cataclysm content.
Edited by Avanna on 3/23/2012 8:02 PM PDT
20 Troll Warrior
I have been to out lands and i dont have bc but i cant go to northernd (im on trial)
100 Night Elf Hunter
03/24/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Zalarare
I have been to out lands and i dont have bc but i cant go to northernd (im on trial)

My understanding is that this would be because BC is now part of the basic content package. Accordingly, if you have the basic game, you also have the Burning Crusade xpac, and thus you can get to Outlands.
Edited by Liaeatha on 3/24/2012 2:24 PM PDT
85 Tauren Priest
03/24/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Liaeatha

My understanding is that this would be because BC is now part of the basic content package. Accordingly, if you have the basic game, you also have the Burning Crusade xpac, and thus you can get to Outlands.

He's on trial, so he doesn't even have the basic game. ;) Outlands content was recently included with the starter edition, however, so this is also why a trial account can access BC stuff.
9 Blood Elf Rogue
So i played the trial version of wow and i dont have the other games but it says im using cataclysm so if i have the trial of catacylsm can i play mop nad if i bought them all do i have to beat them to play mop plz help
100 Worgen Warlock
09/30/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Sanastoris
So i played the trial version of wow and i dont have the other games but it says im using cataclysm so if i have the trial of catacylsm can i play mop nad if i bought them all do i have to beat them to play mop plz help

first off: make a new thread. Don't bump a 5 month old one.

You don't really "beat" them. The majority of content in MoP is the new level 85+90 area, which does require reaching level 85.

And you can't get mop on a trial account. You need to buy the battlechest (which includes WoW and the first 2 expansions, and cata. Then you can upgrade to mop.
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/30/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Sanastoris

You're account status is not Cataclysm unless battle.net says your WoW account level is "Cataclysm". If you are a starter account, you CANNOT have an account status of "Cataclysm", your account status is "Starter Edition".

To get an account status of "Cataclysm" you need to purchase the upgrade to Battlechest, then purchase the upgrade to Cataclysm, from there you can purchase the upgrade to MoP.

The different account levels are mainly there for additional levels and content for those additional levels.

Starter Edition is a trial version that lets you get only as far as level 20, and because it's free it keeps you from doing the vast majority of the social bits of WoW (initiating groups, freely talking to people, joining guilds, using the in-game mailbox, trading items & gold with other players)

Battlechest opens up all the social features AND increases the max level you can achieve to level 80 (it was level 70 when this thread was originally made, but Blizzard took WotLK and added it to the old Battlechest).

Cataclysm increases that max level to 85.

MoP increases that max level to 90.

You can't level in the Cataclysm areas of 80-85 before you've gone through the 20-80 content first. Which means you need the Battlechest before you can have Cataclysm.
Edited by Avanna on 9/30/2012 7:06 PM PDT
17 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm still a bit lost, just wanting a quick confirmation.

I played WOTLK for the past 8 months on a free server... bugged, laggy, had enough and looking to switch.

From what I'm reading... to get MoP, I need CATA first, and to have CATA I need WOTLK?

I downloaded the lvl20 capped trial this week already, and from years ago I still have a game DVD (2.1.0.6692). It will take me a long time to ever hit lvl80 since I play alone, barely hit lvl70 on WOTLK after 8 months.

So... what do I need to buy? I'm just paranoid I'll buy something and it won't work, or worse, I'll buy something and need something else, etc and a $30 game turns into $100 (plus monthly fees).
100 Troll Priest
01/05/2013 01:45 PMPosted by Shendral
I played WOTLK for the past 8 months on a free server... bugged, laggy, had enough and looking to switch.

This is a terrible idea and the people that run these are breaking several copyright and intellectual property laws. Also change your log on info if it was the same you used for the private server. A scan of your PC for virus/malware is probably a good idea as well.

From what I'm reading... to get MoP, I need CATA first, and to have CATA I need WOTLK?

In order to play with the MoP features you need the battlechest and Cataclysm. WOTLK was rolled into the battlechest after this thread was created originally.

However unless you want to roll a monk there's really no need to get MoP before level 85. And unless you want to do archaeology there is no need to get cata until level 60 and only then if you want to fly in the old world (Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms) otherwise you can wait until level 80 to upgrade to cata.

Next in the future feel free to start your own brand new thread with questions, as you can see wow changes often and information ends up out of date quickly, also your questions can get missed as people tend to respond to the OP and miss the other posters in their hurry to help

/cheers
Edited by Kagara on 1/5/2013 1:54 PM PST
90 Night Elf Rogue

Yes, the expansions stack on top of one another. You need the prior ones before you can get the new ones.

I downloaded the lvl20 capped trial this week already

Then you have everything installed you need to install. You don't need to intstall anything else. Everyone plays with the same game client, from starter edition all the way to MoP accounts. What's keeping you from using the locked portions of the game is your account status on Blizzard's servers.

The CD's are an old version of the client that's now so outdated the game won't let you play with the client off of those CD's anymore. What would happen if you installed the old CD's is you would overwrite the current and full game client you already have with one that's 4+ years old, which will then have to be re-patched by the system BACK to what you currently have. Save yourself the trouble and just toss the CD's. Seriously, they're basically coasters now.

So... what do I need to buy? I'm just paranoid I'll buy something and it won't work, or worse, I'll buy something and need something else, etc and a $30 game turns into $100 (plus monthly fees).

Battlechest for $20, that will get you up through WotLK content.
Cataclysm
Mists of Pandaria

Those three will get you everything.

BUT you don't need Cata unless you want to:
Level past 80, Fly in 1-60 zones at 60, or level the Archaeology profession

You don't need MoP unless you want to:
Level past 85, or make a monk

Everything else is available to everyone (including the new races). so you can wait to buy Cata until you get to level 80, and then you can wait to buy MoP until you get to level 85.

If you never used the code from the game DVD, then you can use it now to get you the Battlechest. The game key codes are a one use thing. Once they're used they are tied to that account forever. Since accounts are never deleted (they just go inactive waiting for their owners to return), a code is no longer good once it's been used.
Edited by Avanna on 1/5/2013 2:01 PM PST
17 Blood Elf Hunter
The private one was pretty good, was one of the larger ones... just, buggy and when trying to find info about stuff it was never applicable since most sites are CATA and MoP.

Old DVD I used the code for... prob just use it for a coffee coaster now. I didn't realize how long I had it until I checked the version when making this post. :)

I'll get the battlechest and wait for everything else... when I hit 60 I'll probably grab CATA simply because I hate walking and would rather fly. :D

Although downloaded, I think I'll find a copy to buy, just in case I need to wipe my system out or something. The 22GB download was painfully long, they really should make the 6GB of video optional.

I also read somewhere when you buy the game you get 60days free? or that only if I upgrade online through Blizzard?
Edited by Shendral on 1/5/2013 3:07 PM PST
90 Troll Priest
Whether or not the private server was good, it's completely against the rules to play on them. Please do not support people that actively try to keep players off the official game.

When you buy the battle chest you get 1 month free regardless of how you buy it.
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
01/05/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Shendral
The private one was pretty good, was one of the larger ones... just, buggy and when trying to find info about stuff it was never applicable since most sites are CATA and MoP.

Perhaps, but you're still supporting thieves who have illegally stolen the official game's data and are using it without permission.

It's somewhat like if you sold something online (a book, a movie, a comic, a game, etc.), that you worked really hard on... and then you find that someone has taken your creation meant only for paying customers and fans, and posted it for everyone to enjoy for free. Not only are you losing out on the money you should be earning, but it is a terrible breach of trust (and very unethical, really) for someone to steal your creative work. Even more so when they edit your creation to suit their whims. As an artist myself, I would be heartbroken if someone stole my creations and used them without my permission. And a video game really is a complicated form of art.

I am glad you are playing on the real game now, but please--never support private servers again, encourage your friends to stay away from them, and report private servers to Blizzard so they can try to shut them down.
17 Blood Elf Hunter
When I said 'pretty good' I was speaking in terms about being worried that they were stealing my info and loading my system with viruses.

The site, being as widely advertised as it is, gave the impression that they had permission. If I could find it (Molten is the server) I'm certain that Blizzard knows about them. The fact that after a few years it hasn't been shut down by Blizzard, it's an easy assumption to make that Blizzard is somewhat OK with it. I figured the trade off of being free, was the utter lack of stability and support.

That all being said... it's FAR from the point of post/thread... trying to get info about what I need to run off THIS server. :)

On a side note, I'm also an artist/designer/photographer... and some the works I've done were created as public domain and intended to be free for use without credit. So, sucks if personal works are stolen... but... some stuff (including software) has exceptions.
Edited by Shendral on 1/5/2013 4:52 PM PST
01/05/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Shendral
On a side note, I'm also an artist/designer/photographer... and some the works I've done were created as public domain and intended to be free for use without credit. So, sucks if personal works are stolen... but... some stuff (including software) has exceptions.

Software as a whole is not public domain any more than any other class of work covered by the copyright statute.

Even the GPL doesn't make software licensed under it public domain. I think you would be hard-pressed to find any software that was not authored by a governmental agency that was public domain. I freely admit I haven't scoured all the old abandonware out there so perhaps my knowledge is incomplete, but even most freeware is copyrighted and just licensed free of charge.

Regardless, it's safe to say that the software under discussion in this thread is clearly not public domain.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]