Ironman Challenge Thread, Part III

90 Human Warlock
my lvl 48 shaman just died in eastern plaguelands R.I.P tip try not to do this on pvp server I died trying to fight off a lvl 50 alliance. Didnt go well.
87 Goblin Warrior
This thread is really dead, but I have a few specific questions about the Ironman Challenge.
1) what if, while leveling, a random person decides to attack the same thing your attacking? Would this be a trackable form of assistance? and therefore disqualify you? or would it not be trackable and therefore you would be able to cheat?

2) Same as above but decides to give you a buff or heal you.

3) can you buy stuff on the AH or just sell? ( i.e. cloth for first aid)

4) Can regular dailies be done? (outlands?)

5) can someone trade you armor/ can you buy it on the ah? or do you have to buy it from vendors/quests/loot it only?
67 Draenei Paladin
This thread is really dead, but I have a few specific questions about the Ironman Challenge.
1) what if, while leveling, a random person decides to attack the same thing your attacking? Would this be a trackable form of assistance? and therefore disqualify you? or would it not be trackable and therefore you would be able to cheat?

2) Same as above but decides to give you a buff or heal you.

3) can you buy stuff on the AH or just sell? ( i.e. cloth for first aid)

4) Can regular dailies be done? (outlands?)

5) can someone trade you armor/ can you buy it on the ah? or do you have to buy it from vendors/quests/loot it only?

1. If you are attacking something and someone randomly comes up and attacks it as well and helps you kill it, just say thank you and go on about your business. If they continue to "help" ask them to stop and explain what you are doing. If they continue after that just leave the area and move to some other spot until they are gone.

2. If some random good samaritan buffs your throws you a heal, follow the same advice as in #1, thank them first, if it continues, ask them to stop and if they don't move to some place else away from them. If it's a buff they throw on you, be sure to right click it off as soon as you notice it.

3. The use of the auction house is allowed to buy or sell anything you want.

4. Yes, regular dailies (outlands/northrend/cata) can be done. The only dailies not allowed is cooking and fishing as we are not allowed to have those professions to start with. My level 75 did the Isle of Quel'danas dailies up until she died. Decent xp to be found in those.

5. You can buy armor from other people for a fair market price. This can be done via the AH, via mail by C.O.D. or by face-to-face trades. You are going to find that you are not going to be able to get gear you can use from quests not long after you get out of the starting area. Plus when you reach 61+ about the only gear you are going to be able to upgrade to are grey armor sets and you have a better chance of finding those on the AH. I always start gathering my sets when I hit 30+ so by the time I reach the level I need them, I have them. Being a paladin, I am gear dependant because I need that armor! lol

I hope that answered all your questions satisfactorily. I wish you luck!
35 Draenei Paladin
hey guys...i tried to update this toon to the "wowironman.com" website so it can be tracked, but it doesnt seem to be working. Ive been at it 2 days now, face-rolling my way through eastern kingdom. I chose a pally because...everybody is playing a hunter/warlock (and i see druids are holding their own too). I saw no pallies at the top of the list, so here i am. I also added a little more difficulty to mine, as my toons name is "pantyraider", so ...im not wearing any pants! haha (major piece of armor, we'll see how long i can go like that).
Also, I am a rather experienced WoW player with 13 85's and for me, choosing the pally is a little bit of a personal challenge because its one of my least favorite classes to play. my 85 is a JC and BS and thats it...pally bores the crap out of me...sorry guys that love the uber-elite easy-mode pallies. Bottom line, i chose pally because it wasnt a hunter/warlock and it also gives me free riding skills at 20-40 ( and we all know how hard it is to get gold at low levels) AND i can utilize ALL armor should i get a drop thats better than what im wearing and unlike a hunter, with white-gear, i can use many combinations of weapons/off-hand were a hunter will only benefit from a ranged weapon.
So, its been fun so far, hope to see you guys at the end!!!
Edited by Pantyraider on 7/7/2012 12:28 PM PDT
67 Draenei Paladin
Good luck. My highest was a paladin at 75 - just 2 bars shy of 76. I was majorily irked!
35 Draenei Paladin
07/07/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Kahlee
Good luck. My highest was a paladin at 75 - just 2 bars shy of 76. I was majorily irked!

I love your gear! its so basic yet tough looking, and SeXy!!! haha
67 Draenei Paladin
I spoke with the Commander of Honor Hold and he sent me out to fight fel orcs and demons. I feel like all I’ve seen is fighting and blood for ages. When one fell, another took its place. I became a machine of death and destruction. After seeing the state of the land in Hellfire (well named) because of the fel energies and what the orcs and demons have done to it, I didn’t want to be anything else but a machine. If I was turned into a gnome’s mechanical person then I wouldn’t have to see what some of my people have become and what had happened to others.

I found a road made of the bones of my people which lead from the Citadel to the Dark Portal. The sheer number of the dead whose bones made up that road drove me to my knees and I found myself weeping at the loss for some of those bones where smaller than those of an adult. I think at that point, I stopped feeling anything for what I was doing. I showed no mercy to none of my enemies and I frightened myself in this.

After months of this, the Commander approached me. He wanted to see if I was okay and when I told him that I was fine and still fit for duty, he placed a hand on my shoulder and told me that I should not lie to myself. He told me he was sending me back to Stormwind for some respite from this place. I objected but he would brook no argument and I found myself back in Stormwind. The head of the paladin order told me to journey the land and get back in touch with the Light. He felt that I had forsaken it and I needed to find it again. I thought he was silly telling me that because all of my holy power was working fine but that night when I sat for my meditations, I felt something was off. He may have been correct and the next day I started out for Winterspring. I needed to check in with the Wintersaber Trainers and it would be nice to see a land of cold, white and crystal as opposed to the hot, red landscape I had been in.

Trainer Frostwind was pleased to see us and he was pleased at how Nightrunner was turning out. He gave me some more training tips and worked with us for several days. I felt some of the burden leave my soul while I worked with Nightrunner.

I eventually found myself in Darnassus during the Midsummer Fire Festival. It was a chance to drink, eat and make friends and I did all that. I danced at the Ribbon Pole, went to honor the flame and drank enough to drown a fish. I also spent time on my paladin training and meditations. I believe the Commander was correct in his assessment – I needed this.

Near the end of the Festival I heard that the Darkmoon Faire was open. I asked a mage that was standing beside a banner for the Faire to tell me about it and she was happy to oblige. After telling me about the games, food and creatures to behold, she offered to open a portal for me to the Faire. It sounded interesting so I accepted the kind offer.

It was definitely a sight to see. The music played loudly, the smell of delicacies in the air and the carnies hawking their wares. I was saw people who ate fire and spit it back out and people who could juggle lit torches. There were games of skills and games for fun. There were all types of different foods to try and drinks of differing strengths to quaff. I tried my hand at some of the games and tasted some of the foods and drinks. I watched a concert and gawked at the creatures in their zoo. At the end of the night I enjoyed the fireworks and then returned to the inn to find my bed.

This has been an enjoyable rest but within the next week I will be heading back to Draenor as there is still lots to be done there. After consulting with the paladin order, I will be going to Zangarmarsh to help the Cenarion Expedition deal with the naga and the ogres in the area. I think they are going to try to ease me back into more active duty.

Kahlee
((currently Level 66))
85 Draenei Mage
07/05/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Ohpea
note to all curious hunters...garginox in the noxious glade just north of lights hope chapel is not kitable :( my first ironman death...and the first attempt at the petless hunter goes down at 46. qq

RIP

As a rule you should not be doing quests in your level area. 46 without a pet is limit for Eastern P. As a sidenote I would comment that you may benefit from doing a regular hunter to 85 first and learn the quests and mobs and then attempt the petless version. It will save you time and frustration.
35 Draenei Paladin
note to all curious hunters...garginox in the noxious glade just north of lights hope chapel is not kitable :( my first ironman death...and the first attempt at the petless hunter goes down at 46. qq

RIP

As a rule you should not be doing quests in your level area. 46 without a pet is limit for Eastern P. As a sidenote I would comment that you may benefit from doing a regular hunter to 85 first and learn the quests and mobs and then attempt the petless version. It will save you time and frustration.

This challenge is the exact opposite of trying to accomplish questing feats via killing elites and high-level npc's. This is about smarts. As an accomplished quester (13 85's all via questing) Im approaching this challenge with respect and am sticking to all zones that grant EXP. I have a rule to not engage in any quest boss thats my own level...its called "survival". haha and when I do a chain quest, I may skip the final quest just to ensure that I dont foolishly die. And I have to ask, is there a reason to do this challenge as a hunter with NO pet? that may be impossible as the pet is a huge part of the dps and survival. Now I am doing this "pantless" but a couple hundred armor isnt nearly the loss as not having a combat pet. Good Luck mates...

tips: if im not mistaken, there are 4 zones for every level range so try questing all the zones for your level before moving on. That way, you still get EXP from kills, get good EXP from quests and should be able to handle most npc's.
Edited by Pantyraider on 7/9/2012 4:42 PM PDT
1 Tauren Warrior
07/07/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Pantyraider

I love your gear! its so basic yet tough looking, and SeXy!!! haha

right? It'd be nice if we could transmog grays :o
49 Night Elf Druid
@Kahlee: love your story!
67 Draenei Paladin
Thanks, Myronie! I'm hoping to get back to her again soon. I hit 67 this past weekend so I can get into her new armor and that usually spurs me on to play again. Plus I need new fodder for my stories and the videos.
85 Undead Rogue
Is this possible? Can you quest from 80-85 while wearing white gear? Or do the mobs get to hard and you just get killed?
67 Draenei Paladin
There have been 11 people successful at it - 6 hunters, 1 mage, 2 druids, 1 warlock and 1 priest. It's not impossible just extremely difficult.
67 Draenei Paladin
For anyone who was in Too Cute To Die, I disbanded the guild and re-made it as we were a half of a bar from hitting Level 2. You can do a /who to see if anyone from the guild is on and ask them for a guild invite if you are still interested in joining us. Everyone has invite privileges.

Let's see, what am I supposed to use for guild recruitment? Oh, yeah ...
- We have a guild tabard;
- We have absolutely no bank tabs;
- We offer no help with quests;
- We do not do dungeons or raids;
- We do offer camaraderie, bad jokes and bad puns;
- We will offer advice on quests and zone, if asked;
- We will commiserate if you die and encourage you to re-roll and try it again.
Edited by Kahlee on 7/13/2012 12:25 PM PDT
38 Night Elf Rogue

To elaborate on this a bit, the WoW Ironman tracking site http://wowironman.com/ uses an algorithm based on mobs killed vs killing blows. I have no idea what the threshold is, but basically if you are getting kills without killing blows you're going to be flagged as disqualified. It certainly doesn't cut you off if you just have one though, because I know I had a couple of people "help" me and I was still legit up until death.

Mind you this is a personal challenge! You can do it as you wish, that site just tracks those following the "official" ruleset.

Kahlee- thanks for the heads up. I hope to be rejoining the challenge very soon!
67 Draenei Paladin

To elaborate on this a bit, the WoW Ironman tracking site http://wowironman.com/ uses an algorithm based on mobs killed vs killing blows. I have no idea what the threshold is, but basically if you are getting kills without killing blows you're going to be flagged as disqualified. It certainly doesn't cut you off if you just have one though, because I know I had a couple of people "help" me and I was still legit up until death.

Mind you this is a personal challenge! You can do it as you wish, that site just tracks those following the "official" ruleset.

Kahlee- thanks for the heads up. I hope to be rejoining the challenge very soon!

The threshold for the killing blows is 90% so you would have to really be farming in an area where the NPCs are helping you and getting the killing blows for many, many kills. Unless you are just leveling using this method the really isn't any danger of getting marked for it. Just doing the quests withe the NPCs help will not affect it.
85 Draenei Mage
[Deleted]
Edited by Neverdied on 7/18/2012 8:18 AM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
07/12/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Kahlee
It's not impossible just extremely difficult.

I must smile at the 'extremely'.

I think you are grossly over inflating the difficulty of these restrictions (no offense). In essence the Ironman challenge is NOT extremely difficult. It is time consuming and requires you to be careful and organized and that's it really. Most deaths are due to over confidence or to certain level ranges that are brutal for grey/white items or to people not paying attention at their surroundings.

In itself the challenge is not difficult at all. It only shows dedication and planning.

As for the thread being dead there are only a handful of people still going on at it according to the 3 servers where I have permadeaths. I think the fad has passed unfortunately because admit it but many people where trying to be first one way or another. After that people just lost interest.

But there are many variations still available and several world firsts still possible before mop where all this may need to be redone from scratch :)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]