How do i stop people from swearing?

(Locked)

13 Blood Elf Rogue
When i'm in battlegrounds etc. i always come across people who swear. I find it highly disrespectful and insulting when people direct their aggression onto me or other people in the group.

Now when i politely ask people to stop swearing by saying something along the lines of "language please" or "children play this game" etc. people will then swear at me and tell my i'm a terrible parent and there are control settings etc. etc.

But don't people realise that swearing in itself is rude and disrespectful? It really pulls people down.

I'd like to know how i can get people to stop swearing- is there a way that i can report a person who continues to use vulgar language?

thanks
90 Dwarf Mage
Vulgar language is against the ToU, so if you're really against people using it, you can report them.

Don't forget about the mature language filter, which will replace some offensive words in chat with a series of random symbols.
20 Blood Elf Paladin
03/30/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Katykisses
"children play this game"

you do realise that it's the children who think swearing is cool that are baiting you because your reacting to it, right?
03/30/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Katykisses
I'd like to know how i can get people to stop swearing

I've found the best way to control other peoples behaviour is to remove yourself from their presence or just grow up and deal with it because you can't
90 Night Elf Druid
I'll play devil's advocate in a limited perspective with regard to the children remark.

Children aren't allowed to play this game for the most part. It's rated T for teen and if a parent lets their child wander into where older people are playing then it's on the parent to keep the child safe within reason. Asking people to tone it back (even if their swearing isn't excessive) with the excuse "children play this game" is the equivalent of going into a bar and asking people to stop smoking and drinking because you have your child in a stroller with you. That won't fly, so it really shouldn't surprise you that you garner such a reaction when you ask players to tone down their language "for the sake of the children" that play the game. If a parent has their child playing this game they have many tools at their disposal to filter the chat or disable it entirely.

As Choonster said you can use the Mature Language Filter, which is like the one on the forums, to change swearing to gibberish symbols/punctuation. If someone is getting around the filter by purposely misspelling things or spamming chat, report away because it's a Terms of Use violation.

Just bear in mind that this is the internet and the language is PG-13 or worse about 90% of the time. Anonymity brings out the best and worst of some people. Also bear in mind that swearing is only half of it - context and lewd behavior/jokes are MUCH more difficult to filter.
Edited by Icedragon on 3/30/2012 9:57 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
You will never stop people from swearing. That's unrealistic.

However you can make it so that you cannot see it by turning on your Mature Language Filter.

Game Menu (Escape)->Interface->Social->Mature Language Filter

Alternatively you can report someone by right clicking their name and pressing Report, although I believe that only reports them for spamming, or you can open a ticket on every individual person that swears, but that's an uphill battle.
85 Tauren Priest
03/30/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Metastatic
I've found the best way to control other peoples behaviour is to remove yourself from their presence or just grow up and deal with it because you can't

So why don't you "control" this situation by "removing yourself" from these forums? Your posts are not constructive or helpful.

To the OP: The best that you can do is report them. Use the question mark button on your user interface, and make sure that you include the date and time of the incident, what was said, and the name of the character and server they were on to ensure that the people looking into it will be able to get the right information. Also report them as soon as possible.
64 Tauren Death Knight
03/30/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Icedragon
Asking people to tone it back (even if their swearing isn't excessive) with the excuse "children play this game" is the equivalent of going into a bar and asking people to stop smoking and drinking because you have your child in a stroller with you. That won't fly,

Won't fly?

I was completely unaware that there are parts of the world which remain so primative that they still permit smoking in bars. o.O

But back to the OP,
If you see something that you know you shouldn't be seeing, don't respond to it in any way.

Right click, report for language

[edit] grrRR! what is wrong with the text formatting?
I wish they'd fix it -_-

[re-edit]
changed some outdated info because a necro-troll put this back at the top of the forum >_<
Edited by Nobully on 11/10/2013 10:40 PM PST
90 Troll Priest
Unless it is harassment or excessive swearing it really wouldn't be worth reporting. People are allowed to swear in this game and while the game is rated teen almost all ESRB ratings mention that the rating changes when you are in an online experience. If you don't want to communicate with random people turn chat off. If you don't want to play with them do things with your friends and or guildmates.
90 Night Elf Druid
Won't fly?

I was completely unaware that there are parts of the world which remain so primative that they still permit smoking in bars. o.O

The South, as usual. We're behind on pretty much everything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States

To the OP, some channels devolve into cesspools no matter what you do. Trade is an infamous example, as is battleground chat to some extent. Leaving or disabling channels that are spammy or raunchy can save some headaches later on if you're not fond of the language or behavior.

Gray Text: Segue for the win.
Edited by Icedragon on 3/30/2012 10:45 PM PDT
64 Tauren Death Knight
03/30/2012 10:38 PMPosted by Monmonn
People are allowed to swear in this game

How did you come to this conclusion?

I'd like to refer you to this support article, which says the exact opposite.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/harassment-policy

and I'll even quote the first line..

The use of inappropriate and offensive language is not allowed.
Edited by Nobully on 3/31/2012 2:44 AM PDT
85 Troll Druid
Hmm... Interesting question.

As someone who may occasionally swear in game, I think I have a different perspective than a lot of the other posters. To qualify that I'd like to say that I don't harass anyone and I rarely call someone out if they harass me (which isn't often). But if I was in the horde keep with the flag and I was very close to surviving but I died in WG or if the team had just been 4 capped in AV, than I might be inclined to swear-- as an exclamation. Now I suppose that I could not say anything in BG chat at all or just say something different, but I don't see why I shouldn't say what I think. (And I did just see read the rules, it seems like that type of exclamation might be considered "Moderately Inappropriate" or maybe nothing at all--Blizzard did incorporate chat filters). I think Blizzard is much more concerned with harassment that swearing.

Getting back to the point of the discussion if you asked me to stop I would either no longer chat for that BG or I would simply not swear anymore that game. I would prefer you to say "could you please stop swearing?" Or something along those lines. If you order me to stop than I would surely ignore you and I would take "language please" and "children play this game" as orders. Now I can't speak for anyone other than myself but I would imagine that people of a similar mind as me would not upset you. But I know, and I think we all know, that the people who make it there goal to harass people are not going to listen to anything you say.

Aside from that I don't think reporting people is going to solve anything. Sure the person might get a suspension or a ban. That's one less person enjoying (and paying Blizzard) for the game. Hypothetically speaking, reporting all of the players who swear would result in suspensions, bans, and maybe cancellations of subscriptions and would result in Blizzard losing money which could lead to an end of Wow =(.

My best advice for you would be to ask politely first. If the harassment/swearing continues you could turn the chat off or simply ignore it. And if somebody says something that is irreconcilable report them if you must.
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Hunter
05/08/2012 08:31 PMPosted by Legitclutch
I don't see why I shouldn't say what I think.

Because according to the Terms of Use, you agreed you wouldn't use that kind of language. Specifically:

B. Rules Related to "Chat" and Interaction With Other Users. Communicating in-game with other Users and Blizzard representatives, whether by text, voice or any other method, is an integral part of the Game and the Service and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not:

(i) Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of Blizzard, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above;

If Blizzard decides they want to punish a user for using profanity, then they have the right to do so. If suspending or banning players was that detrimental to their profits, they wouldn't have this rule in place.

If you wish to curse in game, do so at your own risk. People may report whatever they wish, and Blizzard may investigate and take whatever action they deem appropriate. However, they do have a penalty volcano, so most players are not suspended or banned for their first violations. Keep that in mind.

Furthermore, this discussion was from over a month ago. I don't think the OP is going to come back and read your response. Please do not necro older threads in the future. Thanks!
90 Blood Elf Paladin

If Blizzard decides they want to punish a user for using profanity, then they have the right to do so. If suspending or banning players was that detrimental to their profits, they wouldn't have this rule in place.

Make a rule so if anyone gets offended they can turn around and say its against the rules but dont actually enforce it so that the majority of your playerbase doesnt have to worry about it... win, win situation.
90 Troll Mage

Make a rule so if anyone gets offended they can turn around and say its against the rules but dont actually enforce it so that the majority of your playerbase doesnt have to worry about it... win, win situation.
They do enforce it however, since account actions aren't published you think the offenders to un-punished. They probably get suspensions or warnings and work up the penalty volcano. Best advice is to keep your cool and don't violate the ToU. If people are swearing, and violating the TOU then you can right click their name and report them for "language"

If you see repeat offenders on your realm, personally, i find it best to simply /ignore. Swearing doesn't bother me as much as the attitude the player generally brings with them.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]