Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

100 Blood Elf Paladin
iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, etc...

Before you buy from them, if you have a tech savvy friend that can build one for you, buy the parts and have him or her build it, then buy that friend a nice dinner or two for the effort. Failing that, a local mom-and-pop shop may be willing to build one if you provide the parts for some labor fee.
72 Draenei Shaman
Why isn't this stickied yet?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Replace the power supply with something that provides 80 Plus certification.

So you are going to overclock that i5 CPU?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This is the build I would go from what you have selected:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E48GJ
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If your computer currently in use is a desktop, you could have recycled few parts and have built it (through friend help or mom-and-pop store) and save money, or get an SSD installed. :<
100 Human Paladin
Kalganized, I have another question

Whats the diff between Windows 7 and a version that has OEM next to it? I would really not rather have to buy a 200 dollar version of windows 7 if this 99 dollar version will get my computer running
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Retail version of 7 can be "officially" reused as many times as you want on any computer as long as only one computer is using it at a time.

OEM version of 7 means Microsoft doesn't have to help you if issues happen, and that it's "officially" stuck to a single computer it was originally installed on. However, this rule is more or less ignored. Pretty much everyone buys the OEM copy, and when it's time to upgrade, they simply call Microsoft and get a new key if the OS tells them to do so.

Otherwise, the features and specs are exactly the same.
100 Human Paladin
So go with the 99 dollar OEM version? Thought so, thanks
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you don't need support from Microsoft, and that you don't mind having to install it clean every time you want to reinstall the OS, yeah.

If you want support from Microsoft, retail version may be better.
10 Gnome Warrior
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167093

Intel 520, 120gb SSD dropped down from 182.99 to 159.99 in a day! Grab it while you can!
100 Blood Elf Paladin
That explains why the 240GB Intel 520 was being sold for $300 from some shops. o_o
10 Gnome Warrior
Yeah, I've been watching it for quite some time now, lowest I saw it was 169ish a couple of weeks ago, now that it's 159, I'm just going to go ahead and grab it. Now just to wait for Ivy Bridge and secure the rest of my stuff.

Also, just to ask, you are recommending to just go ahead and spend the extra $50 and go for the 7950 instead of the 7870?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you can. The 7950 should be OC'd, then it'll play with GTX 680 / HD 7970 effortlessly.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]