Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Great. :)

Hope it all works out for you.
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
That thing is also gigantic.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-129-021&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

It'll probably be a tight fit in that case.
85 Undead Death Knight
Hopefully. It'll be nice not having to play Skyrim at 800x600 just so it doesn't lag.
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
04/25/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Aeox
Hopefully. It'll be nice not having to play Skyrim at 800x600 just so it doesn't lag.

That resolution is supported ? My god.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It shouldn't be, Madawk.

But then, that Antec has a horrible method of holding drives, so you may have to do some fancy manuevering.
85 Undead Death Knight
Yes it is. LOL

Although, it plays pretty smoothly at that resolution with max view distance and the HD texture pack. It does lag a bit though when you have the Ebony Mail on and it does that poison effect.
80 Orc Mage
It shouldn't be, Madawk.

But then, that Antec has a horrible method of holding drives, so you may have to do some fancy manuevering.

I had to mount my HDs in the bottom cage of my case. My 6950 was running into the middle HD cage, which I had to take out obviously haha. Antec P180
Edited by Yousel on 4/25/2012 4:49 PM PDT
85 Undead Death Knight
Weird question Kalg, but come the summer and I do get a new graphics card, which it be possible to Crossfire a 6950 and something like a 7870/7950? If so, would it be worth it to do so or would it better better to just run the 7000 series card by itself.
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
It shouldn't be, Madawk.

Well provided that it technically fits I shouldn't have any issues in that case. I'll only have one HDD anyways and I'll possibly install it at the bottom.
Edited by Madawk on 4/25/2012 4:50 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/25/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Aeox
Weird question Kalg, but come the summer and I do get a new graphics card, which it be possible to Crossfire a 6950 and something like a 7870/7950? If so, would it be worth it to do so or would it better better to just run the 7000 series card by itself.

Not possible. Has to be from a same GPU family, ie) Cayman with another Cayman, Pitcairn with another Pitcairn.
85 Undead Death Knight
I see. I'll probably just see then if that friend will be interested in the 6950 then as well, like he was with the i3. Although, he's been thinking about just going pre-made after this card issue >.>
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
System Requirements
Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.Bah.
Mine will be a 750 watts. With a 7970 I'm having doubts.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What do you mean?
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
I don't know if a 750W can handle the load of every parts at full capacity.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Unless you intend to SLi/XFire, 750W is an overkill
16 Undead Priest
Kal - I use this case at the moment (the one gifted to me) will it be fine without needing to spend 60$ for another case? Or should I put the money into another case?

http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=CS1202BK&DID=c001
90 Human Death Knight
Kalganized, I've thought of a few things that might help beef up the original post for the community, assuming you've got the answers! :)

I've read mixed input with regards to applying thermal paste properly to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Some say to apply generous amounts, others say that none is necessary because the heat pipes should directly contact the cpu, and more people offer tons of confusing opinions. Can you explain the correct method or provide a link? This is especially handy for those of us who are interested in overclocking.

For those of us debating whether to get the i5-2500k or the i5-3570k depending on overclocking capabilities, you've more or less stated that the i5-2500k takes OCing better. Theoretically, do you happen to know just how many more mhz can you squeeze out of the 2500k over the 3570k on air cooling and whether or not the end result for the OCed 2500k will be "better" than the OCed 3570k due to the differences in the CPUs themselves? Obviously temperatures have people worried and you've said that the 3570k shouldn't be made to push more than 4.5ghz but I think a bit more detail about this would help people decide on which CPU to buy (if this is even possible at this point, considering the i5-3570k has yet to be largely tried and tested).

For your Z77 motherboards section, you might want to clarify which of the two Asrock Extreme4 mobos you are talking about (8+2 MicroATX or 8+4 ATX). I'm pretty sure that you mean to suggest the 8+4 ATX, judging from the price you had listed.

Speaking of prices, you may want to indicate that you've listed everything in US dollars. Canadians (like me) and others abroad may have a much harder time figuring out which parts you are suggesting without figuring that out for ourselves (like I did).

I hope this helps. Keep up the great work, Kalganized! :D
90 Goblin Priest
hey Kal,
regarding the case. is the CM Storm Enforcer is better than HAF 912 plus?? because at my place the price is the same and i noticed the CM Storm Enforcer is a gaming series
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
Canadian dollar ATM is nearly the same as the US one is it not ?
Edited by Madawk on 4/26/2012 8:54 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
04/26/2012 08:54 AMPosted by Madawk
Canadian dollar ATM is nearly the same as the US one is it not ?

It's just far enough off that someone thinking that the prices they are looking at are in Canadian dollars could easily select the wrong component if there are various choices, such as with the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboards. If you compare Newegg.com vs Newegg.ca prices, for example, you'll see what I mean.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]