Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
So, i7-3770k. ;)

If you are going to SLi/XFire, the motherboard doesn't have a proper speed support for it.

Needs a proper CPU cooler to OC the i7. The tall heatsinks on the Vengeance RAM may interfere with tower CPU coolers.

I'm not going to SLI. That GPU alone is absolutly ridiculous. Likely won't OC the IB either and if I do it'll be a very light OC ( so I don't have to get another fan )
Edited by Madawk on 4/26/2012 9:43 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Then I would get a cheaper power supply. 600W max.

I would also get a cheaper motherboard like this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157301

If you won't OC or only lightly do so, it's better to buy a non-OC i7, which would be i7-3770.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
500W is a pretty firm line where it could handle most graphics cards pretty well. Only the highest-end wouldn't really run on them.

Lower power supplies may run into trouble even with mid-level graphics cards.
85 Tauren Paladin
Bad
Then I would get a cheaper power supply. 600W max.

I would also get a cheaper motherboard like this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157301

If you won't OC or only lightly do so, it's better to buy a non-OC i7, which would be i7-3770.
I'll take that into consideration, ty. I'll come back with a conclusion when the IB will come out !
Edited by Madawk on 4/26/2012 11:08 PM PDT
55 Gnome Death Knight
4. Should you buy Ivy Bridge? If you won't OC or will keep the overclocking to 4.5 GHz or below, the answer is resounding YES! YES! YES! However, if you intend to overclock beyond 4.5 GHz range, then go buy a Sandy Bridge CPU.

I'm still skeptical about this heating issue w/ Ivy Bridge over 4.5 ghz. Does it really justify going Sandy Bridge for that??

I think if you're going over 4.5 GHZ, the assumption is you have some sort of professional cooling, right? So having that alone should be able to handle the supposed "extra heat" of Ivy Bridge OC. That's not even taking into account the fact that an Ivy Bridge at 4.7ghz will perform like a Sandy Bridge at 4.8, so in a sense that saves some heat too.
90 Goblin Priest
* Kanzmik:

HAF 912 Advanced (Plus) is better than the Storm Enforcer due to more fans included.

By the way, plain HAF 912 and HAF 912 Advanced / Plus is a two different cases.

the different only in stock fans? hmm... if that the only case i'll go for Storm Enforcer then buy extra fans. coz i prefer Storm Enforcer design than HAF 912 plus.

yes i know. they are 3 different cases.
90 Human Death Knight
It's just far enough off that someone thinking that the prices they are looking at are in Canadian dollars could easily select the wrong component if there are various choices, such as with the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboards. If you compare Newegg.com vs Newegg.ca prices, for example, you'll see what I mean.

I see, but in that case just go with the full name of the component and not something similar that is also based on the price :P

Madawk:
Normally that works, but in certain cases like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboards, there are two with nearly identical names! :)

Kalganized:
According to most of the reviews I've seen, the Noctua NH-D14 seems to be just as good, if not better than, the Corsair Hydro H80 and the H100 as well (unless you start swapping out the push/pull fans for better flowing ones). I've also checked out the performance graphs which compare multiple CPU cooling solutions and it looks like the Noctua is the best choice. Does this make sense or am I missing something important?

I'm considering the Noctua NH-D14 or the Corsair Hydro H100 at the moment and I have three concerns. The first is with regards to the Noctua having RAM clearance issues; assuming I go with G.Skill RipjawsX on the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, do you think this will be a problem for me?
  • I found this compatability list, so the Noctua should be alright with the RAM I have in mind:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

• My other two concerns are with the H100. I've never run water cooling before and I am wondering how often (if ever) these things can leak and/or do something to fry the expensive stuff inside any given case - do you know this? I'd be more tempted to get the H100 if the D-14 would really pose a problem for my RAM slots, assuming it even fits in my case! My last concern with the H100 is noise levels. I've read that it can be really loud, which would make sense with 4 fans, but I can't find any reference to exactly how loud it can get. Any idea?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out the best chance at getting the 3570k up to or past the 5ghz mark running stable, 24/7. If that seems out of reach on either of those two CPU cooling solutions, I'd still be pretty happy since my current CPU is a 2ghz - OCed! :P

As a side note, I think I saw you mention that you have an H80. What kind of results are you getting with that for your OC & temps/stability? If I figure out that the H100's radiator is too large to fit inside my case, I'd be looking at the H80 versus the D-14.
  • It turns out that the H100 won't fit into my case properly without a good amount of modding, so it's either the H80 or the NH-D14 for me.

• *Edit: Added compatability list for RAM with Noctua NH-D14 & added a blurb about the H100 not fitting in the case I am looking to buy.
    Edited by Kantis on 4/27/2012 5:29 AM PDT
    90 Worgen Druid
    Ha, you wrote this just in time, I have to hypothetically build a PC within a budget for an I.T. course :p
    85 Tauren Paladin
    Bad
    Madawk:
    Normally that works, but in certain cases like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboards, there are two with nearly identical names! :)

Key words there "nearly identical" !
    90 Human Death Knight
    Madawk:

Key words there "nearly identical" !

So you're telling me random Joe Shmoe would know the difference between and choose the right motherboard if the only difference in the text is 8+2 and 8+4? Laymen would have no idea. :D
    85 Tauren Paladin
    Bad
    04/27/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Kantis
    So you're telling me random Joe Shmoe would know the difference between and choose the right motherboard if the only difference in the text is 8+2 and 8+4? Laymen would have no idea. :D

Well I think Joe Shmoe should check really carefully when he knows he's going to be spending his money on something :P. Not only that but Joe Shmoe will also be checking this thread since he doesn't really know what he's doing !
    90 Human Death Knight
    04/27/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Madawk

Well I think Joe Shmoe should check really carefully when he knows he's going to be spending his money on something :P. Not only that but Joe Shmoe will also be checking this thread since he doesn't really know what he's doing !

lol - I love your last point. So very true!
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    * Kantis:

The Noctua NH-D14 is indeed a cooling beast. But yes... the size. Then there's the weight of this thing.

I could have gone with the Noctua, or the Corsair H100. I went with Corsair H100 because it's not that massive (tons of more room to work with), my case can fit it, and I did push-pull anyway. I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

The chance of this leaking is pretty damn small to almost none, as the pipings are more or less "soldered in" because it's not expected you will reuse the piping anywhere else anyway. But it can happen, due to the nature of water cooling.

The H100 is dead quiet until you crank your CPU up to work 100% capacity, then you can hear the sound a bit (this depends heavily on what other two fans you use). The sound is just about as loud as a fast spinning GPU fans.

As for the H80 vs. H100, the H80 is only a little behind H100, and even with push-pull, the H100 is only about 5 degrees cooler than the H80. So, going with H80 is not bad at all if you can't fit in H100.
    Edited by Kalganized on 4/27/2012 10:04 AM PDT
    1 Draenei Shaman
    Kalganized,

I was watching videos of people installing it where they would buy 4 fans to do push/pull for the H100. Does it matter which side is push and which is pull? I mean, is the left side of the radiator push and the right side pull, or is it the bottom of the radiator push and the top is pull? Sorry if this is a noob question.

And specifically, I am talking about the HAF32 mounting to the top of the case.
    Edited by Backslashlol on 4/27/2012 2:46 PM PDT
    Hi Kal, 2 questions, plx!

-BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 ATX Motherboard @ $125, you can crossfire with this motherboard, right?

-Which psu is better, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341044 - both prices being the same, and they should both fit fine in the HAF 912, ya?

Thanks
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    * Backslashlol:

Yes, it actually matters. The push-pull should be configured based upon the overall airflow path in your system.

For HAF cases, when mounted to the top, you want to have the air pushed out. Here is a handy illustration to help you:

(Top of the HAF 932 case)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (Fan 1, airflow going ^ to pull the hot air out) (Fan 2 doing the same as Fan 1)
    Fat radiator
    (Fan 3 airflow going ^ to push in the cold air) (Fan 4 doing the same as Fan 3)

That would be the optimal setup for a HAF case.

* Vanillaa

Yes, that motherboard can XFire / SLi.

Yes, both will fit.

Corsair Enthusiast is the one you want. Don't bother with the OCZ.
    Kal, one more question plx.

Say I was to use 2 x 4gb of "Corsair Vengeance" ram, would it fit with a Hyper 212 Evo on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard?

Thanks
    Edited by Vanillaa on 4/27/2012 11:14 PM PDT
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    If you use the tall heatsink version, the fan may not fit flush with the heatsink.
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    If you've been recommended a PC from me before, and that you have decided to wait for Ivy Bridge as per my advice, I have links for the necessary drivers and BIOS updates needed for the three motherboard models I've recommended, which would allow usage of Ivy Bridge CPUs.

You can see the link in the first page.
    Edited by Kalganized on 4/28/2012 7:07 PM PDT
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]