Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

100 Blood Elf Paladin
i3 won't bottleneck 6870. That said, the MicroCenter deal is nice, and should be taken if available, but it does require you to live near it. I do mention the MicroCenter deal at the end of my guide though.

By June, you will be getting Ivy Bridge, not Sandy, by the way.
3 Blood Elf Warrior
Hi kalganized I just wanted to ask if at some point you happen to check your mail if you could give me some opinion on my question's. There actually bunch more but it was 1am and I was running out of copper quick. Some of the thing's i didn't get to but wanted to ask are your opinion on the life expectancy of ssd's. I asked this in the mail's but i thought maybe someone else who might have one may cruise through here and be able to answer. What are your thought's on the lian li pc-7b plus 2 style cases whether they are sturdy or not?
Edited by Depps on 4/5/2012 11:43 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/05/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Depps
Hi kalganized I just wanted to ask if at some point you happen to check your mail if you could give me some opinion on my question's. There actually bunch more but it was 1am and I was running out of copper quick. Some of the thing's i didn't get to but wanted to ask are your opinion on the life expectancy of ssd's. I asked this in the mail's but i thought maybe someone else who might have one may cruise through here and be able to answer. What are your thought's on the lian li pc-7b plus 2 style cases whether they are sturdy or not?

I will check that later, but for that:

1. Life expectancy of an SSD differs on many different factors. Is it current generation? First-gen? Trim support? MLC, SLC?

Current consumer-grade SSDs (using MLC) have life expectancy of at least 5+ years with normal usage, and that is a conservative estimation.

Enterprise-level SSDs using SLC chips will last significantly longer, but also costs significantly more.

Some very cheap SSDs use much cheaper chips (TLC) which has lower life expectancy.

2. Lian Li cases are high-quality, but also costs a lot. Should only be considered if you have $ to spare. Go for it if you like it, AND you don't have to sacrifice anything else for it.
86 Worgen Druid
I found a great deal on a desktop Kalg. I was wondering if I should get it. Kinda hesitant with Cyberpower/Ibuypower : /.( If all else fails I may go with your build) I still don't know how you got cyberpower's price so low lol.
Edited by Darknessclaw on 4/5/2012 2:34 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you are buying a low-end graphics card, never buy a GeForce. Buy a Radeon for it.

Build your own from those company's website.
86 Worgen Druid
If you are buying a low-end graphics card, never buy a GeForce. Buy a Radeon for it.

Build your own from those company's website.

Meh, guess everything I choose is bad :(. Guess i'll just go with what you suggested lol.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Kal, my 5870 has recently died. I was planning on doing a full upgrade on my pc in a month or 2 but my GPU will have to be upgraded now. I'm looking for advice and you've been really helpful on these forums. I have been playing BF3 on high settings, 1920x1080 and was wondering if this card will do BF3 on ultra? http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19778

Eventually I'm going to have roughly these specs:
Motherboard: Z77 (ASRock?)....not sure which. Could you recommend me one from the same site I linked for GPU?
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
GPU: Above/another recommendation
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Antec 750W (recycled from current PC)
HDD: WD 1TB 7200rpm (recycled from current PC)
SSD: Intel 520 120gb
Case: Antec 300 (recycled from current PC)

Total cost is roughly $1000 AUS.
Do you think this is a good build for BF3 ultra + future? Thanks.
Edited by Funnyface on 4/5/2012 6:03 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Not all sites have Z77 motherboards out yet. I cannot recommend any at the moment until I see more to hit the shelves.

To run BF 3 on ultra, you need a Radeon 7870 / GeForce 580 or above -- hence, the card you have selected will do ultra. Note that GeForce 670 Ti / 670 is coming next month. Depending on how well it performs, it may be better than 7870 ... or worse.

Note that 7870's main strength comes from overclocking, which would make it match up to GTX 580 or HD 7950. There are few customized 7870s out there, but not required.

And yes, such a build will last quite some time.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Not all sites have Z77 motherboards out yet. I cannot recommend any at the moment until I see more to hit the shelves.

To run BF 3 on ultra, you need a Radeon 7870 / GeForce 580 or above -- hence, the card you have selected will do ultra. Note that GeForce 670 Ti / 670 is coming next month. Depending on how well it performs, it may be better than 7870 ... or worse.

Note that 7870's main strength comes from overclocking, which would make it match up to GTX 580 or HD 7950. There are few customized 7870s out there, but not required.

And yes, such a build will last quite some time.

Ok I can wait until Ivy Bridge CPUs are closer for the rest of my system anyway. I can't really wait another month for the new nVidia cards though so I think I'll get that 7870. I will overclock it but not extensively. How far would be a medium overclock?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
For 7870:

Core: 1150 MHz should be easily achievable.
VRAM: 1450 MHz should be easily achievable.

It is possible you can bring core to 1200 MHz or beyond.
It is also possible you can bring VRAM to 1500 MHz or beyond.

None of these require you to change voltage.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Tyvm! I'll be back when its time to upgrade the rest :D
85 Undead Death Knight
Any word yet about AMD adjusting prices on the 7000 series?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
None. :(

With GeForce 680 supply not being very high + GeForce 660 / 670 MIA still, AMD doesn't have to reduce price yet.
85 Troll Druid

** Build 4: Yay overkill!

Note: This build assumes you will overclock the CPU. If you will not, replace CPU with i5-2300, don't buy the CPU cooler, and get RAM with DDR3-1333 version. Motherboard can be kept if you NEED SLi/CrossFireX. Otherwise, get ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard.

CPU: i5-2500k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, or EVO
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon 7870 or above if wanted
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W or above if wanted
SSD: 120GB Intel 520 or above if wanted
Hard Drive: 500GB, 1TB or above if wanted
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD Burner
Case: HAF 912 or above if wanted

Estimated cost: ~$1250 ~ +++
Estimated FPS: Do we really need to say this?
I will be buying this thanks ( I want to play batman), Also I requested a sticky.
Edited by Yair on 4/5/2012 8:47 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you want to play Batman, it should be mentioned all the Batman games are nVidia favored.
90 Goblin Priest
wow, what a nice guide. requested a sticky!!!
85 Troll Druid
Im going with nvidia's GeForce GTX 68 since I want the best possible.
90 Orc Death Knight
04/05/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Kalganized
2. Lian Li cases are high-quality, but also costs a lot. Should only be considered if you have $ to spare. Go for it if you like it, AND you don't have to sacrifice anything else for it.

I haven't looked at them recently, but they usually have some no frills models that are competitively priced. I went with one for my current system (which is due to be replaced) and was very happy. It's light weight, cools well, and is well-machined (no burs). I'm definitely going to get another for my next build if I don't re-use the one I have now.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, Lian Li stuff is quality, no doubt about it. A friend I know raves about them all the time. :)

I am thinking of building a mini-ITX model using a Lian Li case when Haswell rolls around.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]