Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

90 Human Paladin
Anyone know how long it takes Newegg to restock certain items?

The Motherboard i was planning on buying just went out of stock, and I hope its not for good or for a long amount of time =/

Build so far for me though is

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I see you have an i5-2400; is there any specific reason why you are buying a P67 motherboard? :o
90 Human Paladin
04/10/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Kalganized
I see you have an i5-2400; is there any specific reason why you are buying a P67 motherboard? :o

Other than being new to computer building, and using my limited knowledge to try to match what I think goes with what...not really
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you do not intend to SLi/CrossFireX, I would take the ASRock H61 motherboard (if you need USB 3 / SATA III), or even the Biostar H61 motherboard.

You can also downgrade RAM to 1333 version. The performance difference between the 1333 and 1600 is very little.

You can also save money going to i5-2300 instead of 2400. Performance difference between the two is unnoticeable.
Edited by Kalganized on 4/10/2012 10:44 AM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Well the processor is already ordered, but I'll take a look at the other items.

Though I'm mostly looking at, not only what do i need right now, but something that will last and will be upgradeable in the future.
Edited by Paladinchaz on 4/10/2012 10:48 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks for saving me a lot of homework and headaches.... at least some since I don't have to look at as many benchmarks on my next build.

One question I do have concerns Biostar, has the quality of the Biostar boards finally improved?

Weird question yes but I have had to Biostar main boards toss their cookies with in 12 months.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, at least, their higher-end / mainstream motherboards are pretty good in terms of quality, but we don't have any long-term reviews on that, of course.
90 Pandaren Rogue
This is what I ended up ordering a week ago with Cyberpower. I'm stalking a GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked video card upgrade over Amazon, as well as an ASUS VE278Q 27-Inch Full HD LED Monitor for when I can afford them.

Posting with some trepidation as I am certain Kalg will mercilessly rip my build apart *suits up in her "heavy" leather armor*.

Used to Dell computers, so a little nervous about any shipping or quality mishaps. However, I felt that the price was right especially in comparison to Dell's Alienware system.

I see that some new Z77 motherboards are being offered. Hope I didn't miss the boat on anything extraordinary.

Mega Special III (NO MONITOR)
SP3Z, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_III
*BASE_PRICE: [+819]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-11]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [-10]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
GLASSES: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+0] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 Keyboard & Mouse Combo [+0]
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+3] (Corsair Vengeance)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu, Intel SRT, UEFI & 7.1 THX TruStudio Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+68]
MOUSE: Corsair Vengeance M60 Performance FPS Laser Gaming Mouse [+0]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 80 Plus Power Supply (80+ Gold) [+122]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+30]
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+1] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+1106) (shipping was free, and had an addition 5% discount subtracted from the 1106)

The deal with the sound card - on my old computer I wanted to get a little tricky with vent and stream an iTunes podcast without having to hold the mic to the speakers, however it would not allow me with my onboard audio. Hopefully this helps with that!
Edited by Isobel on 4/10/2012 9:29 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Z77 motherboard has no benefits whatsoever over Z68 other than the fact it has Ivy Bridge support from get-go. Anything else can also be found on Z68 motherboard.

That also means, if you aren't going to use Ivy Bridge CPU, there is zero reason to use Z77 motherboard, as even their much-touted key feature, PCI-E 3.0, doesn't work if you don't use Ivy Bridge CPU anyway.

I am not sure why, but your build seems significantly expensive for the level of hardware offered (i5-2500 with Radeon 6770 should not cost more than $900).
90 Pandaren Rogue
It was less then 900 (819 base price with those two components), however I tacked on some additional dollars with my power supply brand and watt upgrade in addition to other miscellaneous upgrades via the online configurator.

I tried to heed the advice of the folk on their forums carefully. You should drop in and post your recommendations for a WoW tweaked computer spec, it has a pretty active community and I suspect, a few kindred spirits :)
Edited by Isobel on 4/10/2012 9:49 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Could have saved a lot more money with minimal performance loss (if anything, GAIN more due to more powerful graphics card). Your build is inefficient. :(

Oh well. It's too late now. :(

A CyberPowerPC preconfigured setup that I give to people cost almost $200 less and would perform significantly better due to a better graphics card.
Edited by Kalganized on 4/10/2012 9:50 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Rogue
I did look over your build, it was a good one. I just preferred the higher end parts, sans the vid card of course. My only concern with the card I'm saving up for is the fit. It seems excessively long.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't bother with a 580 at this point. Either buy a Radeon 7870, or go big and buy GeForce 680... or sit tight for a GeForce 670.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is no other problem that can arise from this, but if there is a smoker in that room, or pets, or is particularly dusty, the foreign elements may clog up the fans of other parts in that computer.

Depends on how quality that 480W PSU is. If it is a no-name power supply with no 80 Plus certification, Radeon HD 7750. The performance difference between 7750 and 6770 is pretty small, so it doesn't hurt to get a 7750 over 6770.
Edited by Kalganized on 4/11/2012 1:32 PM PDT
73 Orc Hunter
04/11/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Pyropism
Why is this NOT a sticky yet? :(

In case you haven't noticed Pyro - there are no stickies in this forum other than the blue-created threads. Doesn't look like they ever give attention to sticky requests for this forum.

I have heard that a guide can't be stickied if it recommends specific brands of hardware in it (as this does). Not sure if this is true, but it makes sense.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That's unfortunate, but it can't be helped due to the nature of the guide. :(

I am not going to just say "Buy a quad core CPU with a mid-range graphics card" and see people buy AMD FX CPU with GeForce 550 Ti. That would make me cry.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]