Shadow priest changes suck (MoP)

90 Undead Priest
NMB
1. Shadow priests not longer a viable DoT class:

a) No more Devouring Plague, noting that locks still have BoA.
b) No DoT protection via Sin and Punishment, noting that locks still have UA.
c) Upfront damage component for SW:P.

2. Too many passive abilities turned active, requiring excessive micromangement.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest

2. Too many passive abilities turned active, requiring excessive micromangement.

It seems like Blizzard is attempting to find an active way for us to spend shadow orbs, but their first iteration with shadow apparition and psychic horror is epic fail.

Psychic horror is a defensive cooldown to peel melee - if you happen to be low on shadow orbs or have none, you end up with a quite useless and short duration defensive cooldown.

Shadow apparitions are decent in their current form, since they are passively generated. If it stays an active ability that requires shadow orbs, they need to move MUCH faster. Otherwise, making it an active ability is not justified.

I get what Blizzard is trying to do - they just failed horribly on their first attempt.
Edited by Lorzatu on 3/23/2012 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I guess you missed where BoA can only be applied to one target, and Boomkins are losing Swarm as a DoT.

I also don't understand what's so bad about upfront damage on SW:P, considering that any decently-specced spriests deals upfront damage with DP.
Edited by Truelight on 3/23/2012 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

seriously in the beta, we should be complaining and complaining loudly. if we dont it will never get fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
It's early beta, god you people cry alot, once and if you get into beta you can give feeback on the beta forums.

Shadow's pvp dmg right now is fine too, we just lack good self peels, like a nova or spamable cc or blink/portal.

^
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As I said in pre-cata, while mages get lust, ring of frost, flame orb, paladins get pets with all specs, and not to mention a lot of other mega-cool stuff, we get only a super-situational leap of faith. Way to go, Blizzard!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
03/24/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Loomi
I just dont like how there trying to push the shadow orb mechanic and trying to make us rely on it.Its a bad idea an chances are it wont end well.Taking away dp is a nerf, i dont see how your not aware of 3 dots =3x damage.That is unless they increase the damage output of our 2 remaining dots.Will still also need dot protection because dp wasnt removable by most classes since its a disease.It just feels like they messed with stuff that didnt really need it and never really took care of the real issues.

Shadow Word: Pain does up front damage like the currently talented Devouring Plague. Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word: Pain actually seems to be doing more than all three of our dots on live, but that could be a scaling thing - who knows.

The shadow orb mechanic is awful right now. You basically use them for two things - to create shadow apparitions, which are still terribad since they walk so slowly, and Psychic Horror. If I recall right, Psychic Horror has a base duration of 1 second + 1 second per shadow orb consumed. If you have no shadow orbs and need to use PH, you get an awesome 1 second defensive cooldown.

It is pretty obvious that Blizzard wants to make shadow orbs a more active ability for shadow priests, but linking it to shadow apparitions and PH is pretty awful. Hopefully, in the next patch or push, they will have a better design for it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
yup, and the problem is if we don't make a big fuss about this during the beta then the changes will end up going through.....

i kind of hate blizzard for these MoP spriest changes, and i've never hated blizzard before
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
03/24/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Galaktic
kind of hate blizzard for these MoP spriest changes, and i've never hated blizzard before

do they want us to become monks? id really like to continue to play a shadow priest but this doesn't feel compelling it feels lame.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
kind of hate blizzard for these MoP spriest changes, and i've never hated blizzard before

do they want us to become monks? id really like to continue to play a shadow priest but this doesn't feel compelling it feels lame.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they will do something cool with shadow orbs - so far I am not impressed.

What irritates me the most is losing Dispel Magic on self and Mind Control. Blizzard came to their senses and made Psychic Scream baseline, but it really irks me losing Mind Control because there is no way I can see myself picking Dominate Mind over Void Tendrils.

Oh well. I have to keep reminding myself that this is the first beta push. However, I get worried that too much of their attention will go to monks and shadow priest will be an after thought.
Edited by Lorzatu on 3/24/2012 9:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The shadow orb mechanic is awful right now. You basically use them for two things - to create shadow apparitions, which are still terribad since they walk so slowly

They need to make the apparitions walk slowly, then teleport near the enemy player, making their movement very fast. It would also be a creepier graphic

I don't think that being in control of the apparitions is a bad thing, however, since it'll allow you to make use of them when you need them most, on the boss and not adds, and on the enemy player that you want to kill first.

This is a mechanic that I hope you will come to enjoy and get used to
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Stop comparing spriest to lock! if you want to be a lock play a lock.

That being said there needs to be some spells added to the shadow priest arsenal that will make them a unique class not taking them away. Shadow already loses a lot of healing spells and i feel it already lacks in utility for being a dps.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Blizzard really, really wants to do away with DoT damage as anything more than an extremely small damage component. Look at what they did in Cata: Your DoTs can barely damage through Recuperate ticks and other forms of passive self healing.. you have to hardcast to deal any damage. Even Warlocks, they have to spread their DoTs on mulitple opponents PLUS rely on ShadowBite from the felhunter to provide any sort of pressure.

Why are they doing this? Well all of the QQ from everyone about being fully dotted while the Priest/Lock pillar hump finally impacted Blizzard. They wanted to neuter it and they did. Unfortunately, more overpowered mechanics like endless stuns and constant roots (cough: Rogues and Mages) consistently dodge the bullet, every time. Why people were QQing more about DoT than abilities than cause you to lose total control of your character without anything you can do about it is beyond me. At this point if you want a DoT class your probably better off rolling a Feral Druid for the Bleeds as sad as that sounds they are the only class that has retained any sort of real damage over time pressure this far in Beta.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
03/25/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Creepindethh
our DoTs can barely damage through Recuperate ticks and other forms of passive self healing

this is a big issue that is not being expressed well in any of these forums.

something else no one has really mentioned is how bad shadowy apparitions are in PVP.

they provide a low health target that specs like holy paladins can target and regain mana from currently.

what i mean is shadowy apparitions aren't something you generally want to use in PVP at all.

nothing about the current changes suggest i would want to use them in PVP

basically shadowy apparitions are not good in pvp, could they be made better if they were
1. had enough health they wouldnt die
2. were like paladins pets, they cant be damaged.
3. moved faster

will anything like these things change? not if we dont complain about it enough imo
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
03/25/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Loomi
SW:P is dispellable by almost every class,DP since it was considered a disease was not.

This makes me really afraid, but also infuriates me. If Sin and Punishment is gone, there is literally no penalty for dispelling our only DoT's, VT and SW:P. It'll be like fire mages now, just dispel all of their arsenal.

Someone's gotta complain, haha, or make one of those serious posts that every hits the like button on so Blizzard considers chiming in. We've been in the gutter for quite some time, and I'm surprised at how often it gets overlooked.

I don't know if they have this at Blizzard, but they need reps for every class, or even class/spec to be extreme. Maybe then they'd realize! *shakes fist*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]